1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Adding a SECA 650 back to my collection...

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by kboehringer, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

2. kboehringer

kboehringer Active Member

Well I got the SECA home today.... Some good surprises some not so good...

THE BAD (some were unexpected):
    • Frame has a crack & rust near the kickstand point. Kinda common with the XS's and not TOO hard to fix but the motor must come out to do it right. Was planning that anyway for a full restoration so not TOO big deal.
    • The seat looks decent in the photos but it's not. Definitely needs a complete recover, but the pan is nice.
    • Bars are wrong.
    • Mirrors are wrong.
    • Front signals are wrong.
    • Helmet seat lock is missing.
    • Tires look good but they are far beyond the 7-year safe limit for driving...They'll allow me to push it around the garage as they do hold air.
    • Someone ATTEMPT a fuse block repair...... Gonna have to redo that mess correctly with solder and heat shrink.
    • Battery is junk.
    • Tank has a total amateur job of a liner. Total piece of crap. I'm not even willing to use this tank as "Wall Art". When will some people learn to READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!!!! But I have a good one from the junk yard so no use complaining. Would have been nice to have a spare though!
    • All the cables are junk (speedo, clutch, choke, etc.)
    • The monster headlamp is rusting the reflective finish off (inside).

THE GOOD (or unexpected)
    • Pipes look pretty darn good. I think they are likely in good shape inside too. They will polish up nice and should look great!
    • Speedo and Tach don't have the normal sun fading one would expect of a Florida bike.
    • Came with some accessory Yamaha engine guards SECA_Home1_091617.JPG SECA_Home2_091617.JPG installed. I like that!
    • OEM controls look to be in decent shape.
    • Got the OEM manual and the always missing TOOL KIT!
    • Two Keys!
    • Got the bike for what SEEMS like a fair price (not a STEAL and not allowing myself to pay too much) $400.00

It'll look great in 6-9 months..... can't wait to get started! I expect to have $2k in this before it's done.....

It's getting a little CROWDED in my garage but the other bikes are welcoming to their kin folk!

KURT

Stumplifter likes this.
  3. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

Looks like a great starting point and $400 is a great price!

4. Stumplifter

Nice collection of toys!

wgul likes this.
  5. JetmechMarty

JetmechMarty Active Member

Love it! BTW, I am experienced at failed tank liner removal. Don't toss the tank. The fix is not that bad. The SECA is a great machine.

I briefly lived over in Conyers. I know that salvage yard. It's a good one!

I'll see you at the Iron Horse on Friday!

6. ADragonsTail

ADragonsTail Member

Hey Kurt, It looks like you're doing a great job on the rare 550. I think you can forgive yourself for letting go of the 650. Well done.

7. kboehringer

Thanks Dragons Tail. Although, I really haven't done much YET other than find a couple replacement parts....
    • I have had enough time to fix a minor dent and properly install a POR-15 liner so I have a good tank to replace the one the bike came with (Currently the tank is in High-Build primer)
    • XJ4Ever provided a complete stripe set and new brake lines (it'll be a while before they're installed).
    • I plan to make this as close to a 100% RESTORATION as possible. However, safety always comes first and SS lines were a must for the front.
    • Since there are so many items needing attention or replacement, the best way to do this (with my limited space) is to gather everything I need or think I will need and really begin the project in earnest once these items are in my hands (rings, valve shim selection, full gasket kit, carb kits, hoses, plugs, filters, signals, tires, brake pads & shoes, all the cables, headlamp, misc. rusted or damaged parts, correct mirrors, bars, shock replacements, fork tubes, seat recover, replace the fuse block with new style fuses, address any electrical gremlins, etc.
    • It's my plan to have this machine in tip-top condition for the Annual Southeast Vintage Yamaha Rally 2018 in Stecoah!! (NEXT SEPTEBER)
    For now..... SECA is in a position difficult to work on....Did this for a reason..... Need to gather the parts FIRST.

SECA_TightSqeeze_091817.JPG

SECA_Tank1_091817.JPG

I think the work will proceed quickly once I open up the wallet and start buying the supplies......

KURT

8. Stumplifter

I see a few items that could be taken off your hands to provide more space. ;);) Wink wink, knowing look.

9. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

Looks like that Seca fell into good hands. This will be a great thread, keep us posted.

10. kboehringer

XJ Friends,
    I'm headed back to the local junkyard this weekend to look for a few items for the SECA. Any suggestions for valuable spares? Items that frequently break or are hard to find for this machine? I'd like to grab a spare set of carbs as I know these have been messed with and are likely in bad internal condition following "Goober's" repair attempt. I'm considering grabbing that lousy looking seat to give that one to the upholstery guy while I hold on to the original. Thoughts???

I'll look around for those Widow Makers and anything else folks want me to look for. Just let me know what I need to look for. I'll take some better photos of the XJ's and XJ parts too.

Sincerely,
    KURT

11. kosel

kosel Active Member Premium Member

My top focus would be key plastic parts, like the airbox, instrument cluster, that kind of thing, since they can get more brittle with age. Also, I think the tank and headlight are iconic and hard to find. Finally, maybe a spare collector?

Stumplifter likes this.
  12. kboehringer

XJ Friends,
    I decided to take a closer look a "Gomer's Work" on the OEM tank...

Seems a P.O. (aka GOMER) decided that a large goober of BONDO would solve the problem. DUH!
    SECA_OEMTank1_092717.JPG
    This is what a tank looks like when the guy DIDN'T follow the instructions!
    SECA_OEMTank2_092717.JPG
    Actually looks like I can make this into a useable tank if I can get Gomer's handwork out of it. If the PROPER chemicals and repair epoxy are used, this could be a very useable tank for many years. It will never be a pristine OEM tank but finding one of those is certainly impossible for this one year only bike.
    SECA_OEMTank3_092717.JPG

Trying to get a good look at the machine before I head over to the Junkyard this weekend.

KURT

13. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Wow, Kurt...., what a decent offer! I didn't see your response until today but if you do back to the yard, take a couple of pics of anything that he has for Kaw 2 stroke triples...anything that looks like these bikes pictured below! I'll take a look then give the guy a call. If he has a bunch of stuff, I'll take my Expy down there on a Road Trip!

Thanks,

jeff

Attached Files:

14. kboehringer

Jeff & XJ Friends,
    Unfortunately, there are barely a few crumbs left of any Kawasaki 2-stroke that may have been there. If you were interested in Suzuki 2-strokes there are AT LEAST 10 of those!

After taking some real time to look over the SECA's there really isn't much usable for me there...
    • I was able to find ONE head lamp and then discovered it was cracked...
    • I negotiated a good deal on a set of carbs. They're pretty roached out but should provide some good back-up parts. I'm not sure how rare (?) or difficult to find these are but for $40 it was worth it (I guess). I keep thinking like a XS1100 guy and we really need to keep spares around. Their float posts at small and easily broken- UGH.
    • The new "Spares" are sitting outside soaking up the AeroKroil oil before I even attempt to unscrew anything (see pic)
    • The only other tid-bit I was able to find was the little washer plate for the tank hold down...
    • I'm sure I'll be back again soon to keep pickin' at the SECA bones.
    _SECA_Carbs$40.JPG
    I know we all love looking through the Junk Yard so I attached a bunch of thumbnail pic. This is a great place to spend a couple hours! Jeff, you'll see only bits of Kaw 2-Strokes... I'll check my "OTHER PLACE" in a couple weeks. Barber Motorsports in Alabama is next weekend!

_CarbArea.JPG _Headlamps.JPG _HondaIsle.JPG _KawTanks.JPG _Rims.JPG _Speedos.JPG _Suz2-Strokes.JPG _TailLamps.JPG _XJ_Fairing.JPG _Yam125.JPG _Yamaha2Stroke.JPG _YamahaRow.JPG _YamSeats.JPG _YamTanks2.JPG

15. kboehringer

A couple more... Seems I missed the KAWs with the last post.
    Kurt Kaw2-Stroke1.JPG Kaw2-stroke2.JPG Mufflers.JPG SeatArea.JPG Tails&Tanks.JPG XJRow.JPG YamTanks.JPG

16. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Thanks Kurt! I right-clicked on each of the pics so now I have 21 new tabs to look at! I didn't think he'd have too much Kaw triple stuff but it's okay, I've got a GT750 and 2- GT550
    s too so this will be fun! Thanks for posting the pics!

jeff

17. kboehringer

XJ Guys,
    I'm struggling to get this machine started (so I can tear it to bits). The compression is very low at about 75 pounds. Still, I've had machines start with compression this low. I've applied the standard lubes to the slugs and hope for a slight increase. The bike has sat for an unknown period of time which I assume is quite a while so I'm hopeful that if it will start (sputter like poop) it'll clear the rings and re-seat.

The crankcase was full of a fuel oil mix from poorly repaired floats.... Drained and replaced and now the starter clutch seems to be acting much nicer!

Now, I'm going to pop the valve cover and check all the clearances. Probably never been done so it's long overdue. Could help compression too (Maybe).

Question?: My Clymer I have does not SPECIFICALLY cover the XJ650R. The clearances quoted .16-.20 and .11-.15 for the exhaust and intake respectively seem appropriate and very close to the recommended for my XS11's. But just to be 100% sure...... These correct? The book indicates it is good for my XJ550 but that motor is entirely different than my SECA's 650.

Thoughts? Measurements good?

KURT

18. kosel

kosel Active Member Premium Member

19. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Yes, valve clearances for the 650 engines same as for 550 engines.

20. kboehringer

Thanks LEN! Got the SECA started (very briefly).
    Seems the starter clutch is hanging up and killed the engine as it tried to reach higher RPM. Made a heck of a squeal too.... SCARY.

I've added some MMO and ATF and circulated the mixture. I'm hopeful the starter clutch is "hung-up" from sitting and will free up. Otherwise, it's a complete teardown in the future to fix the starter clutch.:mad:

It was my intention to tear the motor down and replace all the gaskets, hone the cylinders, replace the rings etc. BUT, I really wanted to assure it was in "GENERALLY" good running mechanical condition before ripping into it. It was not my intention to break open the cases only the top end. With only 22k on the meter it would seem overkill to crack open the cases (and a heck of a lot of work). However, the starter clutch is very likely going to make that a mandatory requirement of this restoration project UGH! :mad:

Is this a bit unusual for the XJ550R starter clutch to be a problem with so few miles on the motor? I believe this machine sat for a considerable amount of time in it's life......

Kurt