1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Adding switchable power for USB charger.

Discussion in 'XJ DIY How-To Instructions' started by Nuch, May 29, 2017.

1. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

we have us apples and oranges. with that setup you can't measure what i measured. i measured voltage at the battery with the load, then current from the battery, with and without load.

XJ550H likes this.
  2. Wintersdark

Wintersdark Well-Known Member

Oh I know. In my may above I'm converting - note the 1.76A draw at 5v = 0.74A at 12v in my mathy post above.

I should have just used watts for clarity, but yeah. You're still looking at 20 watts charging (not counting efficiency losses in the charger) draw with a modern phone, and the current spec allows up to 100 watts draw (though no current phones draw that).

Still, it's not enough that it'll be a problem under normal circumstances I think(Again, not aware of how much you can discharge our batteries before starting becomes problematic), but it's definitely a non trivial draw, and it may be an issue when other factors contribute.

3. Wintersdark

Wintersdark Well-Known Member

Yeah, parasitic draw is a pretty minor concern. I know I've got two high current chargers in my truck unswitched, and together their parasitic draw is small compared to the basic truck electronics - so much so that it's irrelevant.

I use the same sort of setup on my XJ as well, using the battery tender's hookup attached directly to the battery (of course fused) as a multipurpose 12v source.

I'd only be concerned about it if I wasn't going to be riding for an extended period and not having my battery on a tender, but that's not going to happen.

Mostly, just wanted to highlight the potential dangers in smartphone charging when you're not riding, as modern devices draw a substantial amount of power - way more than most people think they do.

4. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

5 watts vs. 12 watts...

5. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

How many amps of load are needed at 12V to get Naomi Watts?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
    Wintersdark likes this.
  6. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

more than I can supply

k-moe and Wintersdark like this.