1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Bike jerks when accelerating in all gears

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by manofchange11, Jul 19, 2015.

1. manofchange11

manofchange11 Member

Hello,

I was riding my 1982 750 Maxim today and the bike road just fine for the first 15 minutes. Then out of no where it started to jerk upon acceleration. It happened in all the gears. I was lucky I was just on a short ride and made it home. The oil level is fine. Additionally, it has rode great the rest of this summer season.

What is the typical culprit for such symptoms? Spark plugs? Slipping clutch?

Any insight and advice would be helpful.

Thank you!

-Wade

2. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Fuel cap has an atmospheric vent that may have become plugged. When it starts jerking again, try opening the gas cap just a bit (leave a spare key in the cap so you can do it while riding) and see if the issue resolves.

If not, it's on to more troubleshooting.

3. manofchange11

manofchange11 Member

Thanks a lot for the tip. I tried what you said in my garage, and it still jerks (having bike on maintenance stand and in gear).

Thanks for your help.

4. rocs82650

rocs82650 Well-Known Member

Did the rpms also start to slowly drop? How much fuel is in the tank? Try switching to reserve.

Gary H.

5. manofchange11

manofchange11 Member

Hi Gary,

A good amount of fuel in the tank. Rpms didn't drop...just went up and down with the jerking.

-Wade

6. rocs82650

Switch to reserve. Anything change?

Gary H.

7. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

How old is the clutch?

8. manofchange11

manofchange11 Member

Gary,

You wouldn't believe it, I tried the things you recommended and nothing in terms of improvement. I looked under my seat, and I noticed that one of the fuse wires was disconnected. I re-connected it, and bam!....works like a charm again. I can't believe it. I will have to figure out something to reduce the probability of that happening again, as that would suck if I'm going full throttle at 60 + miles per hour. I wonder what electrical thing got disconnected to cause that?

Thanks!,

-Wade

9. rocs82650

We give advice based on symptoms. Sometimes it's a simple fix, some times not. Is it the oem fuse box? Time for a replacement. Which wire was it? Glad you found it.

Gary H.

Luis likes this.
  10. manofchange11

manofchange11 Member

No problem. I'm definitely not blaming you for anything, you have been nothing but helpful. It is the newer style fuse box I got replaced about three years ago with the chip / car style. It is a 10 watt fuse...it is one of the positions one away from the last spot.