1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Can I run XJ600 motor with XJ550 carbs and pipes?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Mikko, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Mikko

Mikko Member

Well, title says it. I'm thinking to replace my 550 motor to 600cc and I can find motors pretty cheap without carbset and exhaust, so is it possible to put those existing Mikunis and pipes to bigger motor and get it work?

2. sektorgaz

sektorgaz Member

Not sure if you meant XJ650 or Diversion/Seca II XJ600 motor. The latter is a different style and probably uses different mounting, etc. More trouble than it's worth.

It is really not a good idea to run mismatched carb sets, will give you all kinds of tuning issues if it will run at all.

3. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

The pre-Seca II XJ600 is the same motor and has been swapped many times.

Truth be told, if I ever lunch the mill in my black bike, a 600 will go in to replace it. The early-model XJ/FJ600 is virtually the same. Hopefully one of our Seca racing members will chime in here, a 600cc motor is legal in the class a 550 would run in.

BUT:

You'll need the carbs from the 600.

AND (it gets better) the YX600 Radian used a mid-range tuned version of the same motor, and the bike was capable of 0-60 times under four seconds. Since the Radian used the 550 Maxim frame, any Radian motor will also drop in.

Again, you'll need the carbs though. They're bigger.

4. Mikko

Mikko Member

Ok, thanks for the information.

5. Kickaha

Kickaha Active Member Premium Member

If you're stuck you should be able to run the 550 carbs and pipes but you would need to rejet and it would most likely have less power than with the 600 carbs and pipe

The 600 is basically a bored and stroked 550, most bits are interchangable between them

6. zombiehouse

zombiehouse Member

Don't forget the FZ600 motor. I think you would also need the CDI for the motor you want to swap in.

7. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

Does the 600 motor have YICS does anyone recall ?
    Thanks

8. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I think that may depend on exactly which 600, which year, and from which part of the world (which market) we're talking about.

From looking at the USA-market parts fiche it may have been there for '84 (?) but gone by '85 or '86; (here in the States) but it's hard to tell.

9. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

Hi BigFitz

Looking at it a bit closer I think we only got the 600 in 85 and no sign of the YICS logo in any castings. I'm ashamed to say I never did much servicing on my XJ600 (over an oil/filter change) back in the early 90s and never really noticed it wasn't there..

Cheer

JS