1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Carburetor problem XJ900 1987

Discussion in 'Other' started by DennisD, Apr 12, 2015.

1. DennisD

DennisD New Member

Hi Guys, I'm having a fight with my carburetors these days. I cleaned them and once I have put them back together Again they just keeps overfloating. I have cleaned the valve, aligned the floaters, put in a different set of valves+floaters and the problem is still the same. I have changed the look of the bike a bit, so I am not using the same tank as before. The new tank has two petcocks and from them I have put the fuelhose into each of the fuel intakes on the carburetors (2 pcs). But just below the fuel intake in the left side, there is some kind of fuel intake(?) It's not the same as the two others sitting between carburetor 1&2 or 3&4. This one sits below 1&2 and I can't seem to find anything in Haynes explaning this Little (fuel) intake. But when I open the petcocks, the gasoline comes out of the 4 overfloats AND the Little (fuel) intake?
    I've come to the conclusion that I must be doing something wrong - So I need a little guidens - So far I have spend two days trying to figure it out and I'm just about to order new gaskets, needles, valves and floaters to rid myself of this problem, but if the solution is simple in any way...please let me know. Thanks!

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

There is only one fuel inlet for the carb rack. All the other hoses are vents.

In the pic below the fuel line is the large one on the left that is sticking up. Notice where it connects on the rack. There is a series of tubes that connect the carb bodies to one-another (fuel rail), and that is the only place tat you want fuel entering the carbs from.

Use a T fitting to connect the lines from your fuel tank to a single line that feeds the fuel rail of the carbs. By hooking fuel to the other large hose you are bypasing the carb float valves and feeding fuel directly through an emissions control vent, which is what is causing your fuel to overflow.

Depending on which XJ900 you have the fuel inlet may be between carb #1 and #2, or between carb #3 and #4. Just pay attention to which line hooks up to the fuel rail and connect it to your fuel tank.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
    DennisD likes this.
  3. DennisD

DennisD New Member

Aaargh Crap!! I had a feeling that might be the problem - It just seemed logic at the time. Thank you very very very much! BTW do you know what the other two tubes are for? Are they just overfloat - I mean there are already 4 small overfloat hose/tubes?

4. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

The two "other hoses" connected to t-fittings between carbs 1/2 and 3/4 are overflow, the 4 small ones (connected to each carb body) are vents.

All of the above hoses go to "nowhere", they are not connected to anything on their open ends.

DennisD likes this.
  5. DennisD

DennisD New Member

Thanks Guys! I really appreciate it!

6. chuckle

chuckle New Member

Have fuel coming out of right hand carb ,from where air filter is , Any ideas ?

7. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

The fuel inlet valve on that carb is leaking, either stuck float or a stuck/worn out needle valve. Try tapping on the fuel bowl with the end of a screwdriver and see if that doesn't "jiggle" things back into alignment. Either way, it sounds as though a carb rebuild will be in order in the near future.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015