1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Charge for carb tune up.

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Joe34, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Joe34

Joe34 Active Member

Like i said. It was just tore down and cleaned. Nothing replaced. And then synced on bike.

2. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Then if nothing was replaced, I'd have a problem with that.

3. Joe34

Joe34 Active Member

So. Do you think 350 is steep for just a carb clean and sync.

4. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

For just cleaning and syncing, with no parts being put in?
    Yes! If the rack was taken apart, then all the no-rings, throttleshaft seals, etc.... That MAY have not leaked yet, will now probably start pretty soon----because they most likely didn't leak (YET) simply because the seals were STUCK to their surfaces and now that 'stuck' contact has been broken. I can pretty well bet that Thedave hardened and/or shrunk over the years. If they were'nt replaced, you're probably gonna find that you start getting fuel leaks/air leaks soon.....and then wonder why they weren't taken care of while the rack was off and apart.

5. Nuch

Nuch Well-Known Member

I'm thinking it was not a complete teardown. I can't imagine separating the carbs from each other and NOT replacing at least the fuel o-rings... as Hogfiddles said...
    If the carbs were separated from each other, then put back together without replacing those rubber rings, their "seated-ness" (that's not an actual word... but seems to apply here... heh) has been disrupted and could begin leaking now.

If you get a few seasons out of the 350 spent, I would not sweat it. Just consider the full cleaning/replacement of replaceable parts the next time. Would be interesting to know how much MORE your guy would have charged if you wanted the "deluxe package" with fresh seals, rings, gaskets, etc.

hogfiddles and Joe34 like this.
  6. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

You've given me your arm. I've noticed that you have two nice legs...

7. William Thompson

William Thompson Active Member

That seems to be about what I've seen carburetor services offered for whenever I take my bike in for state inspection or to get a tire mounted. He's in line with industry pricing. That being said, if you can invest the time to learn how to do it yourself, you'll probably end up with a much nicer set of carbs. I know I replaced stuff on mine that I'm certain a bike mechanic wouldn't have for $350.

Also, as Jayradoh said...
    That's a good chunk of change for work that, while annoying, is not particularly technically hard. Worst case scenario, if you get stuck you sound the alarm and ask for help here, and someone will point out something you missed, and you'll be embarrassed but thankful for their observation :).

Stumplifter likes this.
  8. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

Yes! Been there done that. :oops:

William Thompson likes this.