1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Cross-Country Tour '82 XJ650 Maxim

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by craiygxj, Dec 4, 2017.

1. craiygxj

craiygxj Member

Have been meaning to post something for a bit to share with the XJ community. Like many of us, without this site, wouldn't be the same motorcycle enthusiast that I am. Much, much thanks to many and all who gave words of advice in the past (more to come in the future I'm sure, as long as she keeps trucking).

Set out on a 43 day trip starting in the Philadelphia area, down into the south and across to the west, up the Northwest Pacific coast, into Western Canada to Banff and Jasper National Parks, finally to cross East through the Northern States, Ontario and Quebec...ending in the Green Mountains of Vermont. All on a good ol' 1982 xj650 maxim, picked up from a buddy that unfortunately had to let it sit outside (uncovered) for many years before we brought it back to life to see what would happen. Very few fine tunes and a failed attempt to put the stock exhaust I found on eBay on the bike (snapped a header and left the rusty old pipes on for the trip), my girlfriend and I were off (yes, two-up) to be fortunate enough to complete a 12k mile trip on this amazing 36 year old machine.

Attached a few pictures to enjoy, thanks again for all the enthusiasts out there making it possible for adventures like this to happen.

Attached Files:

Jetfixer, chacal, wgul and 3 others like this.
  2. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

That’s awesome! I bet you’ve got many stories and great pics from that. I must say that is the first time I’ve seen firewood on a bike!

Jetfixer and craiygxj like this.
  3. Xjrider92117

Xjrider92117 Active Member

That is awesome. What a trip! I'm sure there's more to this story than you initially told us... We'd all like to hear.

craiygxj and Jetfixer like this.
  4. craiygxj

craiygxj Member

Haha knew that photo may be appreciated when I decided to throw it in there....a solid luggage rack and a few ROK straps had that bundle strapped down solid. Was out near Gunnison, CO when it became a necessity to try that and no problem cruising back to camp a few miles at highway speed.

Jetfixer likes this.
  5. joe elliff

joe elliff Active Member

Holy buckets of firewood Batman. Man. I’m jelly!! More stories. More pics. We need more.

craiygxj, Jetfixer and wgul like this.
  6. Plug

Plug Active Member

Very Cool!!!!!

craiygxj likes this.
  7. wgul

wgul Active Member

Fantastic!

More !

8. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

How many miles did you say? How did you get periodic maintenance done on the road? Awesome! Thanks sir!

9. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Just proves these were and still are great bikes ...more pics and details please...:)