1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Cylinder 2&3 no spark

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Xj750rlMTL, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Xj750rlMTL

Xj750rlMTL New Member

ok so the bike is an 84 750rl it was running great and then I installed a new mini speedo and mounted it to the underside of the key/ignition so I had to take that apart. Next day start it up and it is running a little rough and no power. And I have come to discover that there is no spark on 2&3.
    Checked coils and they read the same on multimeter for both. Not sure what to check next, igniter unit any way to check if it's sending power to the coil?

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

to check if you are getting power to coils you read voltage at the primary connector to the coils with key on it will be 12 volts for either wire

check your pickup coils it is done from the left connector on the tci unit should be an orange wire and a gray wire and a common black you are looking for 650 ohms
    set meter to 2k and it will read .650
    what did you get on your coils primary and secondary?

did you ohm out your spark plug caps (boots)?

pick up.PNG
    pick ups is the circle #15

cylinder 1 and 4 run off the same coil cylinder 2 and 3 run off of the other coil

3. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

Change all the coil wires from one coil to the other, both low voltage and high voltage. See if the 1/4 plugs fire now.
    Most likely you have a bad coil. This will prove it.

4. Xj750rlMTL

Xj750rlMTL New Member

So first test is done I unplugged both coils from harness and turned on ignition, switch on bars to run and checked plugs on the harness side.
    1 read 9v the other 0 so this would mean that this coil is not getting power?
    Where should I go next?

5. MN-Maxims

MN-Maxims St. Paul Minnesota

Coils do not get constant voltage. The voltage is pulsed to the coils through the TCI box which picks up the signal from the pick up coils to pulse the ignition coils under the left side crankshaft cover. So think of it this way as the crank turns the pick up coil senses the signal then the TCI sends the voltage pulse to the proper ignition coil. Keep in mind on cylinder fires and the spark in the cylinder in its exhaust stroke is "wasted spark". Swap wires on the ignition coils and see if the spark comes back or not. If the same coil does not spark then that coil is done. If it does spark you will need to check wires back to the TCI and the pick up coils. Then check the pick up coil ohms to see if they are in spec. Lastly look at the TCI for cracked or broken solider joints.

6. Xj750rlMTL

Xj750rlMTL New Member

Ok I have an update
    I decided that it was just to much of a coincidence that after I installed my mini speedo this all started. So I unplugged the 2 connectors and vroom fired up on all 4. So then I plugged in the smaller of the 2 still good, then the bigger of the 2 and bam 2&3 drop out. So one of those wires is causing the problem. So now which of the wires from the big connector in the old cluster is causing this.

7. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

could be your tach wire it connects to the coil for 2+3 its the gray wire you see in pic above that connects to part 13 (tci) and 14 (coil)

full wiring diagram links
    http://xjdiagrams.thundervalleypower.com/wiringdiag/d10a.jpg

http://xjdiagrams.thundervalleypower.com/wiringdiag/d10b.jpg

key codes
    http://xjdiagrams.thundervalleypower.com/wiringdiag/d8.jpg

part 52 is tach it has 2 gray wires in the wiring diagram one (outer) runs back to coil , middle wire runs to warning light cluster, horns ect..

is it just a spedo you installed or a combo speedo/tach?

just a guess on my part but makes sense

rocs82650 likes this.
  8. Xj750rlMTL

Xj750rlMTL New Member

Has you nailed it xj550h, it was the grey wire I had it powering the backlight on the speedo.
    Disconnected it and 2&3 came to life

Thanks for all the help guys