1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Electrolysis to remove rust from rear suspension springs?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Fishizzle, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Fishizzle

Fishizzle New Member

I've read a lot of posts and articles about removing rust from a gas tank, and other various parts using electrolysis, but do you think it would be a good idea for removing rust from the rear suspension springs? Mine are showing a bit of rust and I've tried a mild polish, and it didn't do anything. Because their suspension parts, I'm weary to try anything too harsh. Electrolysis sounds like it might be ideal because it doesn't use any harsh chemicals or abrasives, and supposedly removes literally just the rust particles and leaves everything else exactly intact. It sounds like it may in fact be the best way to remove rust from these springs. Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks in advance.

2. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Are you planning to dis-assemble the shocks to get just the springs?

Dave

3. Fishizzle

Fishizzle New Member

Re: Electrolysis to remove rust from rear suspension springs

I was planning on doing the minimum required to remove the springs and clean them, which I assume doesn't require disassembling the shocks. :?

4. snowwy66

snowwy66 Member

turtle wax chrome and rust cleaner. found at any auto parts or walmart.

worked really good in cleaning up my oil soaked and burnt and rusty pipes on my yamaha. also cleaned up the rust really good on my shocks.

5. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

You're gonna spend more time in dis-assembling the shocks and setting everything up to do the electrolysis than you would spend if you were to just polish the springs with rags, steel wool, and polish.

Yes, you have to dis-assemble the shocks if you're planning to take the springs off.

Dave

6. lostboy

lostboy Well-Known Member

This is a trick from Rickco. Get some cotton rope wrap it around the spring with some poish and give it a shoe shine!

7. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Removing the springs IS disassembling the shocks on these bikes.

Some advice if you plan to keep and ride this bike: The original KYB shocks were crap right from day one. Once they had more than about 6000 miles on them, they were all done. Better to replace them with shocks that actually work, and get a brand new set of nice shiny springs out of the bargain. Honest.

8. Fishizzle

Fishizzle New Member

Any recommendation on third-party replacement shocks? To be honest I've ridden nearly 30,000km on this bike and have no qualms with how it rides or handles, hence why I was just going to clean them up. Then again it is the only bike I've owned, so I may just not know any better. I also don't know if it's wise to sink money into new suspension on an 80,000km (50,000 miles) bike. I like the idea of the cotton rope for polishing. I'll probably pick up some of that "turtle wax chrome and rust cleaner" and give that a try.

9. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Progressive Suspension, or Ikon.

With that kind of mileage you would certainly notice a difference with new shocks.

Turtle Wax' chrome cleaner is good stuff too.

10. yamaman

yamaman Member

your not gonna beleive this, cause I wouldn't have, the little wire brushes on for the dremel should be called 'rust erasers' when it comes to removing rust on 99.9% of palces on these old bikes. I just did a complete 4into1 Kerker header and vance & Hines chrome exhause and not only did it remove the rust and show the chrome, but Polished it Too!!!!! I started putting these little brushes on chrome finishes I normally wouldn't Dare, headlight bezels etc and just can't beleive what they do. I ended up buying 34 peice Dremel wire brush assortments on Amazon.com for like 12 bucks. I can't say enough about these things, screws, shocks, exhaust, cone shaped brushes for inside the fins on the cylinders!!!!!!! Amazing, just be sure to wear safety goggles cause those little suckers go Everywhere, including your armpit, you'll see :)