1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Emulsion tubes?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Hotrod57, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Hotrod57

Hotrod57 New Member

Hey everyone,

I will preface this with saying that I did a search on the forums first before making a post, but I am having trouble with these carbs.

I just bought a buddies 1982 Seca 650 after it spent some time sitting under a tree. I'm in the process of rebuilding the carbs but I am confused. I tapped the emulsion tubes out lightly. I go to put new ones in and slip right into the hole, even the old ones do when cleaned up. Are these emulsion tubes supposed to be like this or are the supposed to be a slip fit?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!

2. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Should just about drop in. You had to tap them out because of all the old dried gas creating resistance. Now that you've cleaned them up, they should slide right in. You'll have to keep a finger inside the bore to hold. The tube in place while you tighten the jet and the copper washer. Mikuni's have a slot and a boss to keep the tube from spinning. your's does not.

I hope you did a TOTAL Teardown......if not, you'll be taking them back off to do it soon. You'll have a lot of parts to keep track of..... Like this----

image.jpeg

Dave

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
  3. Hotrod57

Hotrod57 New Member

Thanks Dave! I just didn't want to slap this back together half assed!

Thanks!

4. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Weeeellllllll......

If you don't tear it down now, you'll end up it eventually......after you've fought with the rack for numerous times. Then you'll realize 'why didn't I do it right. The first time.....'