1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Estate sale find Fj600

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by LarryMc, Mar 19, 2018.

1. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member

Over the weekend we were checking out local estate sales and I stumbled accross this way in the back of a huge shop. We wheeled it out, jumped the battery and it fired up after a couple trys. Just over 10,000 miles. I have a deposit on it pending a search for a clean title with an offer of $1400. They were asking a lot more, $1950. They want it gone, fortunately. Screenshot_2018-03-19-07-56-02-1.png
    I didn't ride it but can tell its solid. It has sat for about a year. I'm itching to see what the 22 extra horsepower from these engines feels like. The only concern I have is the pod filters.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  2. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Nice! Good luck with your pod problem...

3. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member

They accepted my offer contingent upon a test ride tomorrow morning
    No pod problem at all after receiving a call this morning that the air box and airbox boots were located along with the title and registration. Additionally, it's an original owner bike which answers one of my questions about it. Just have to wait to get the title signed by the individual overseeing the will.

Jetfixer, MattiThundrrr and Chitwood like this.
  4. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

Looks like a great find, the airbox included is a big plus!!

Jetfixer likes this.
  5. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

Nice find.

6. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member

20180308_145213.jpg

This is my bike workshop with my herd of bikes. It's the size of a one car garage, with a little rearranging I think I can fit one more in for a total of eight bikes. They are all perfectly roadworthy, run excellent and get rode regularly.
    Why get another bike?
    I can't answer that question. I don't go shopping for bikes they seem to find me, somehow.
    As it sits, I really don't need another bike but I want that FJ.
    My wife and kids tell me I have serious issues when it comes to motorcycles. They just don't get it, I guess.
    Life's still good even if I'm the source of disfunction in my family.
    Thanks for letting me vent. Much better now.....

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    wgul, Jetfixer and ksigurdsen like this.
  7. Nuch

Nuch Well-Known Member

I was recently asked that very question by my wife just prior to my most recent acquisition of the RJ. I quickly realized that there really is NO good (acceptable?) answer to that question. Especially when you're pushed by the follow up question of, "Are you getting rid of the other one?" (which of course is answered by "No way!")

Good luck with your soon to be new member of the family. It is so good to see that this piece of great motorcycling history is going to a good home that will appreciate it.

Jetfixer and LarryMc like this.
  8. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

That is the wrong question. I have to ask myself "Why not get another one?"
    Money is almost always the answer.

LarryMc likes this.
  9. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

I justify my current collection by classification:
    mini bike to ride alongside my kid - Suzuki DRZ125L
    dirtbike - KTM 525EXC - also converts to supermoto, give me 2 hrs.
    dualsport - KLR650
    sportbike - FZ600 vintage but still fun!
    sidecar - XJ911-X
    vintage - BSA 441 Victor
    project - Seca Turbo
    touring - no longer a need - KLR fills in here.

Jetfixer likes this.
  10. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

LarryMc,
    That is a nice selection of bike, we need a better pic so we can really tell what they are ;) As for the big question...

For me it is project therapy, have a escape to go wrench keeps my sanity. As for how many on hand....

All around bike --KLR650
    fun sport touring--Bandit 1250S
    Current Project--BMW K100
    TS185
    Ready to sell--Madura 1200
    FJ1200

Jetfixer and LarryMc like this.
  11. Nuch

Nuch Well-Known Member

Does 2 qualify as a collection of motorcycles? Or do you need 3+?

I'd like to think I've started my collection. I have a Vetter, complete with lowers that is sitting on the shelf just begging for an 1100!

12. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member

Timbox, as it sits today:
    Two 2008 Aprilia Sport 250cc scooters
    Two 2015 Ducati 699cc Monsters
    2006 Suzuki LS650 converted to a cafe thumper
    1981 Honda CB750K brat
    1982 Yamaha XJ550 Seca
    Therapy, that they are. Sanity will never be part of the equation with three daughters and five granddaughters.
    My new purchase will help matters being its a rider and not a project.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    joe elliff, Jetfixer and Timbox like this.
  13. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

LarryMc,
    Nice stable you have there...."Monsters" (small drool out of the side of my mouth) I know they can be supper fun bikes...as all bikes can be.

14. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member

Went for a short, but spirited, test ride this afternoon. The bike fired up without any jumping of the battery. The addition of 40% more horsepower compared to the XJ 550 is immediately there. It sputtered twice when throttling it, coughed a little then this dirt bike like power band kicked in just beyond half throttle. I wasn't expecting that. It kind of scared me and I liked it. The front wheel lifts an inch or so between shifts on the lower gears if you try to. It seems like the engine is quieter at low RPMs then when your on it all you hear is the carbs and the pipes opening up.
    Looking it over closely I found no unusual faults or flaws. This was obviously the prior owners baby. That was validated when the person taking care of the sale produced the original bill of sale along with a folder with every service record and receipt associated with the bike. I pick it up this coming weekend and pray for sunshine.
    Purchase justified.

Jetfixer, MattiThundrrr and Timbox like this.
  15. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

LOL "Purchase justified"....

I am glad you picked her up, that is a really clean bike. I know the 1200 had issues with second gear slipping out under power, not so I think with the 600. Here is a link for a easy upgrade but not sure it will fit on the 600. If you had changing oil and getting dirty doing it, then you will like the spin on filter adapter.
    https://www.rpmracingca.com/proddetail.asp?prod=spinonfilteradapter&cat=39

16. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member

I wanted to add that with the pods, I didn't notice any flat spots through the throttle range. So I'm perplexed and pleased and will leave it as is for now.

17. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

If it ain't broke... Go ride it!

Timbox likes this.
  18. joe elliff

joe elliff Active Member

3 roadworthy bikes( 750 maxim, Connie 1000, 883 sporty ) 1 close once I do the brakes(750rj) , Midnight seca project beaming its headlight at the end of the tunnel(750rk), and the 81 550 seca that runs /drives/ stops but I just don’t feel the urge to fix/play with it like I do the 750s , and then there’s the xj750rk touring project yet to be undertaken

To heck with the snow. It can leave. I’m ready to go riding!

Attached Files:

19. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member

On the subject of the Fj600, the sale has hit a snag. The bike was being sold due to the owners passing away. I got a call yesterday, the day I was supposed to finalize the sale, and it was the attorney representing the estate of the deceased party. Eventually, a shirt tale member of the family has expressed his interest in obtaining the bike. In the gentlemans will it stated "all properties are to be liquidated publicly with the exception of family members having a chance at purchasing property prior to public sale". No one told this person about the Estate liquidation at all. I guess it's become a complete family dramarama with different members of the family threatening one another and slinging accusations as well as feeling cheated out of this guy's will. They were very apologetic and I just wanted nothing to do with these people, period. I'm kind of in shock about not getting the bike but more so how these family members acted towards each other. I know I've said WTF out loud at least 100 times since that phone call. A true shame on many different levels. At the end of the day it comes down to whats fair is fair.

20. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Yeah, fighting like cats and dogs seems to be the best way to honor a loved one. I think I'll make it a stipulation in my will.