1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Front Brake Caliper Seals

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by VTGanja420, Jun 30, 2016.

1. VTGanja420

VTGanja420 Member

so after finally getting my bike "done" to the point where im ready to get her on the road *finally* i realized that i skipped the front brakes for seal checks/flud ect.. i tore it apart, ordered seals * even double checked with a dealer near by* only to find out the seals i got for my bike * 82 seca xj750* dont fit! the o-ring fits nice, but the dust seal is too big, like a 1/4" too big and the catalogs give the exact part# of the kit i got. anyone else come acrost this issue rebuilding their brakes? any ideas? :D?

2. tabaka45

tabaka45 Well-Known Member

Contact Chacal.

Stumplifter and mrdawson like this.
  3. Lightcs1776

Lightcs1776 Active Member

+1 regarding contacting Chacal (Len at XJ4Ever). I just replaced my caliper seals this past weekend with seals from Len. They were a perfect fit and my brakes are working better than the day I picked up the bike (I also put on steel braided brake lines and rebuilvidentst the master cylinder). It is a fairly easy job, but one that brings great dividends.

4. VTGanja420

VTGanja420 Member

is there a link or something to a non catalog site, or does google chrome not work for the xjsite? ive looked it over a few times, just cant buy anything :/ also how do i contact chacal/what is it :p?

5. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

Upper right hand corner, XJ4Ever; click it.
    Then click on Chacal's name under any of the headings (or spend sometime perusing and you'll learn a whole bunch), then "Start a Conversation" with him. Tell him what you got for a bike and what parts you need.

Ask anyone who has dealt with him - his customer service, quick delivery, and helping words of wisdom are second to none. I made the mistake once to buy a part for a couple dollars cheaper from someone else - nightmare - never again, XJ4Ever - for ever, for real, for sure.

TheCrazyGnat and Lightcs1776 like this.
  6. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

You can't order through the catalog. It's not a "click to buy" site.
    You have to do business the normal way; by typing out an order.

7. VTGanja420

VTGanja420 Member

ahaa!! i was under the impression that i was unable to proceed and it was setup differently than im used to :D ty for the assistance guys :)

8. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

VTGanja: what year and model bike do you actually have?

NOTE: Most parts suppliers offer the XJ750 Seca caliper seals kit for the XJ650 Turbo/XJ750 Maxim/XJ750 Police (37H) model calipers, but those XJ750 Seca seals......particularly the all-important fluid seal......are different from the XJ650 Turbo/XJ750 Maxim/XJ750 Police (37H) style calipers and their seals. The difference has to do with the front-to-back thickness of the seal.......the XJ750 Seca seals are THINNER than the XJ650 Turbo/XJ750 Maxim/XJ750 Police (37H) seals, and thus the use of such seals will create a "rolling" effect as the piston moves in-and-out of the caliper bore. be aware that this difference could create a potentially dangerous situation, and therefore we only offer these correct (although slightly more expensive) seal kits for the these applications.

Why is this situation almost universal across parts suppliers? The best theory is that in the rest of the world......where the parts manufacturers are located......there is no such thing as an XJ750 "Maxim", there is just the "XJ750" model which, in North America, is the XJ750 Seca model. XJ750 Seca and XJ750 Maxim models use totally different calipers, caliper seals, etc. So most retailers just follow the seal manufacturer application info and list the parts as fitting "XJ750" models, which of course is true as long as you aren't in (the huge) North American market!

NOTE: XJ750 Police (24L, 33V, and 39Y models) used the XJ650 Turbo master cylinder with XJ750 Seca calipers and rotors, and XJ650 Turbo style forks without anti-dive.

NOTE: XJ750 Police (37H models) used the XJ650 Turbo master cylinder with XJ650 Turbo/XJ750 Maxim/Midnight Maxim calipers, XJ650 Turbo rotors, and XJ900 style forks with anti-dive.

Lightcs1776 and Jetfixer like this.
  9. VTGanja420

VTGanja420 Member

82 750 non turbo ( good thing for now, but will likely bastardize it later :p)

10. VTGanja420

VTGanja420 Member

is there a visual difference? like, can i take a pic of it and someone be able to tell the difference? the main seal fits fine, which leads me to believe their not too dissimular in size, its just the dust seal thats too large ( thinner with the groove)

11. k-moe

All 750's are non-turbo. Is your's a Maxim or a Seca?

12. VTGanja420

VTGanja420 Member

seca, a buddy was saying that there was a conversion or i could just swap the motor, i didnt eat too much into it, but its still buzzing in my ear :p

13. k-moe

So here's what happened. You were sold the wrong seals (see Chacal's post). Contact Chacal for the correct brake seal kit.

Fitting a turbo 650 engine (and all the accompanying parts to make the turbo work) into your bike is a huge project. Adding a turbo to the 750 engine is a huger project as it will require internal emgine modifications if you want the engine to last for more than one riding season (if that). Be certain that you are capable and willing to build what is essentially a custom motorcycle (not a weekend project) before heading down that path.

VTGanja420 likes this.
  14. VTGanja420

VTGanja420 Member

honestly i paid 150$ for it running ( albeit not well), i got about... 90$ tied up into it and its roadworthy, save the brakes :p, and once i get comfortable im going to get something sportier to ride with my friends,. but for now and prolly the bigining of next season i get to play with my seca and get familiar with the roads locally. then i wanted to put it into a drag frame ( lawn tractor most likely or maybe a mini midified drag :3), maybe a 400ex/banshee frame or sell it once i decide to glance at the cost of the over all project xD. i do have access to standing mills and a bed lathe ( and if things go right over the next year a 4d cnc) to custom redneck-engineer something if i cant find an exact part for the conversion.

15. k-moe

Please don't. Once it's back in roadworthy condition you'll likely be able to sell it for enough money to be able to afford a lonesome engine and have cash left over for the project.
    IF you really want to build a drag bike get a Suzuki GS1100 engine. Plenty of parts are still being made for it, and you'll end up with a much better end-product. The XJ750 engine really isn't as easy to make go any faster than stock.

16. Baxter

Baxter New Member

I know this is not my thread but I have a question that kind of goes along with it. I received the front brake caliper rebuild kit from Chacal today (awesome, by the way) but I am not sure how to use the included Ceramic Brake Lube. Does it go on the caliper piston, the pins, elsewhere? I tried Googling it but only learned how to work on the brakes for my car.
    Thanks in advance,

17. Lightcs1776

You could start a conversation with Len, to get it directly from him. I used it on the piston when I put it back into the calipers. However, that was the first time I replaced seals, so I am certainly no expert.

18. Baxter

Baxter New Member

Lightcs1776,
    Thanks for the reply. I did PM Len and he did not specifically say not to grease the cylinder but he did say that the grease goes on all the rubber seals and the slider pins and not on the pads or rotors. I am not sure about the chatter plates so I will probably avoid greasing those.
    Thanks again to Len and the XJbikes forums for help.

19. Lightcs1776

Ah, that's right. I did put it on the seals, now that you mention it. Thanks.

20. k-moe

The grease is for the seals so they aren't damaged during installation, and for lubricaing the slider pin. Nothing eles gets grease.