1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Fuel Petcock

Discussion in 'XJ DIY How-To Instructions' started by Rick Barney, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Rick Barney

Rick Barney New Member

Just rebuilt my 85 Maxim X fuel petcock. Now fuel runs freely from all 3 settings. When I put the tank on the bike and hook up the vacuum hose, no gas goes through the plastic fuel filter. Did I install the seals and diaphram incorrectly, or could the vacuum hose have a leak or blockage. Can I just disconnect the vacuum hose and run on prime all the time. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Rick

2. wgul

wgul Active Member

When set on "on" the fuel won't flow until the engine is running. The vacuum line must be attached to the petcock. When the engine is running, it creates a vacuum that opens the diaphragm in the petcock letting the fuel flow. When the engine is off, it should only be running freely on the prime and (I believe reserve ) positions. You could disconnect the vacuum line, plug it, and run it as a manual on and off valve but is that what you really want?

3. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Only in the PRime position..................reserve also requires vacuum.

wgul and hogfiddles like this.