1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Funny thing happened on the way to the harbor

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by dkavanagh, Jul 31, 2017.

1. dkavanagh

dkavanagh Well-Known Member Premium Member

I thought I'd ride down the harbor at lunch to see this tall ship set sail. Fate had other plans.
    I was stopped at a light behind another car. In the middle of the left side of the lane. This big white Yukon pulls up behind. pretty large in the mirrors. Anyway, left turn goes green at the light. Still red going straight. I'm waiting and wham! The Yukon smacks my bike and then my hip. I realized I'm looking at my bike on the ground under me and I'm still on my feet.
    So, I guess she didn't see me.. blah blah, in my white helmet on 6'2" dude who's wearing black and optical yellow jacket.
    I rode the bike home after getting checked out. Something's rattling under.. maybe exhaust related. Clutch lever snapped. crack in tail light, but nothing big, license plate and bracket bent on one side. Guess I suck at taking good pictures when the adrenaline is running (see finger in photo #1)
    IMG_20170731_125246767_HDR.jpg IMG_20170731_131639521.jpg

Now, need to itemize what's broken from this and get it paid for.
    - clutch lever
    - left grip
    - tail light lens
    - plate holder? it bent back easily enough.
    - exhaust? Hmm, it's pretty beat up, but if the header is bent, that's money!

David

Jetfixer likes this.
  2. Dadoseven

Dadoseven Active Member

That's not funny at all! Glad you are alright.

Lightcs1776 likes this.
  3. dkavanagh

So, gas was spilling out as the bike was on it's side. I suspect changing the oil is in order? Is it safe to assume some got in the crank case?

4. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

I think you meant "crappy thing happened on the way to the harbor." Glad to it wasn't worse, those SUVs are large.

wgul and Wintersdark like this.
  5. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Right there says it all..................

6. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

Glad you are physically ok.
    Darn it! Hope she was sincerely sorry, the casual observer doesn't understand the love between a man and his XJ.
    Nothing but wishes for a happy ending.... I mean happy resolve to this situation.

7. dkavanagh

She seemed to feel bad about it and did stick around, so that was good. Still, it was all her and I found it hard to be too nice, though my nature is to be nice. Still need to get Geico to call me back about how they'd like to account for damage. Something rattles under the bike while driving. Need to look the exhaust over really well since the muffler is bent outward.

8. Wintersdark

Wintersdark Well-Known Member

It's tough. I'm pretty good natured almost all the time, but when I'm hit by someone in a situation like that - where it's 100% their fault and not an understandable accident but rather gross inattention/utter negligence.... That tends to really get my goat, even when it's not a beloved vehicle. Hitting someone sitting still while moving forwards is completely inexcusable.

So props to keeping your cool! Glad your all right, and hope your bike will be ok too.

9. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Dave,

1. Probably the collector box center mount. Could be the inside of the muffler broke loose, though--

2. I'll give you a call, too.... I might have parts ...

3. Possibly the centerstand is loose

Dave F

k-moe likes this.
  10. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Maybe. Usually in a tip-over it just spills onto the ground.

11. dkavanagh

I have the Kerker 4:1. I need to inspect more. It's on the center stand ATM. I found the left front turn signal works, but has something rattling inside. I have a replacement, which I thankfully hadn't put it on yet. Also, thankfully, the cowling and new reflectors seem untouched. I'll probably go through it throughly in the next day or two and make a list and check it twice. I have so many pictures from pre-accident that they can be used to prove what's changed.

Stumplifter and Wintersdark like this.
  12. dkavanagh

Dadoseven likes this.
  13. Wintersdark

One of the wonderful things of motorcycles is that all of us take way too many photos of our bikes. And these days, those photos are date and location stamped too, which really simplifies things for insurance.

"Here's my bike parked in front of <this>, and here's one from another angle parked by <that>.. oh, here's a set of 12 photos and 5 videos from the last time I rebuilt <whatever>."

Stumplifter likes this.
  14. dkavanagh

Good news is Geico interviewed me and reviewed the insured's statement and is taking 100% responsibility. They're sending a guy "Todd" out to assess and write a check. I've looked up a bunch of prices for parts I know are damaged. Not sure about the exhaust. Any advice when making sure they properly account for getting it fixed properly?

15. Paul Howells

Paul Howells Active Member

I suspect they will just write the bike off and give your the $50 blue book value rather than the cost of the repairs.

16. dkavanagh

Is there a world where they come out with $50 as the value? kbb.com shows trade-in at $740 and retail of $1450 (in excellent, which mine isn't quite).

17. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

I have not had to deal with this on an old bike so take with a grain of salt. IMHO Tricky situation. You can add up the cost of new and good used parts and it will likely exceed their threshold to total it. You can take the amount and then buy it back at a discount but then you end up with a salvage/rebuilt title. I don't know exactly how that all works in your state but Ohio it makes insurance a little trickier and will make it harder to sell. If I were in your shoes, I would make a list of all the parts needed, source them new and through completed item listings on eBay. Give them that amount and then work down if needed. Hopefully you'll get a good adjuster who will work with you and understand old bike love. From what I hear from others, be prepared to haggle. My friends recently got hit by a drunk and totaled both their Harleys. They didn't argue and got totally screwed on $$$

If concerned moving forward, you may want to look into a classic bike policy such as Hagerty offers. We have an agreed upon value in case anything happens. It worked out cheaper for full coverage with $0 deductible on my XJ than my wife's much newer bike with no collision coverage. They don't have crazy requirements etc. and I can ride it as mush as I want.

18. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Yeah....be careful. Here in NY, if there is evidence that the bike touch the ground at THREE points, it will automatically BE totaled. Tiny scratches that can be seen as 'road rash' WILL be considered a point of contact.

I have a gorgeous vl1500lc that I got as a totaled bike. NO DAMAGE to the frame, or hardly anything else. The three locations?

1. The leading edge of the mirror
    2. The handlebar end
    3. Passenger foot peg end.

Replace them or ignore the scratches .......butt the PO went with an insurance claim, it was totaled. I bought it and located a good clean titled frame in Alabama, shipped it up, and built it on a legal frame.

Next, in NY, you'll have to go through a full-blown safety inspection, and it will cost a couple hundred $$....they will inspect every single part, and ANY part you put on will need to have a receipt showing you purchased it and it was stolen from a chopped bike.

THEN-if you ever DO Sell it, you have to give ALL the receipts to the buyer, because THEY will have to have the SAME kind of inspection done, it will cost THEM that much, all because the title is a Salvage title from the day you agree to it forward.

Be careful.

Now, here's an alternative---you know I have a 550r, if you decide to total yours because of an insanely good adjustment claim, we can talk on mine------you've seen it, it's red, not white though......

You will still have the opportunity to buy yours back, and you can keep it as a parts bike, too

Dave f

19. Wintersdark

Here, in my discussions with adjusters where I've highlighted the lack of structural damage and my abiding love of the vehicle in question, they've agreed to find damage done equal to 90% of the assessed value of the vehicle - essentially meaning they pay out the full value and write the vehicle off, or pay out 90% (saving a few bucks) and leaving the title clean.

When you've got vehicles worth just a couple thousand or less, this is often a better way to go if you'd rather repair than replace, as once you've got a salvage title it's gong to cost you much more than you lose in the insurance payout.

hogfiddles likes this.
  20. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

This is the tragedy of vintage vehicles. It is worth more to us than to the insurance company.

I find it frustrating that you were minding your business and got hit by another person. In my opinion, their insurance should have to pay whatever it takes to restore your bike to its condition before you were hit. I realize it doesn't work that way, but just saying.

Now, if you were claiming damage with your own insurance under comprehensive, it would a different story. In that case, I understand why your insurance would only pay out blue book value.

I had a 1952 Chevy in original, unrestored condition. No rust, original paint, few dents. Some idiot backed into it. The damage on a new car at the time would have only been a few hundred. I informed that person's insurance adjuster that now the car just lost some of its "original condition/unrestored" value, and managed to get 2x what they originally offered.

Good luck. Glad you are ok.

Stumplifter likes this.