1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Got hit head on

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by jayrodoh, Oct 19, 2017.

1. joe elliff

joe elliff Active Member

I wouldn't even be worrying about the bike right now Too many ppl here have your bAck when you're ready to deal with that.
    You have to be sore today.
    I assume you had a helmet on??? I don't think Ohio has helmet laws. Same as Illinois I suspect. I still wear mine though constantly. The one time I literally watched a rock get flung up at me,from a semi, and hit and dent my helmet, is the reason I always wear one. I can pretty much argue that I wouldn't be here now if I hadn't have worn it that day. Can't see staying on a bike at 70mph and being hit with a rock square in the noggin. Damn June bugs hurt enough.
    To the bike tho. I do hope there are things that can be salvaged should you choose to keep it and get another of the same style. You're one tough dude.

Jetfixer likes this.
  2. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

Glad your ok. Dismount was a 10 if you only had a sprained wrist and some bruises. Shame bout the bike , she was a 10 all day before that. Getting her back together will be simple enough with a donor bike but insurance company may be a fight. With collector plates here you have an agreed value, but still won't cover all of the labour and love you put into it. If you paid to have it brought back to its original condition cost would exceed $5000

Jetfixer, Stumplifter and Wintersdark like this.
  3. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

Jay, life has gotten in the way of me lurking/ trolling here as often as I have in the past.

Just read this and damn if it wasn't raining inside, my eyes were damp... So VERY glad you are ok, and better yet your reaction (words) to the event tell that you are in a very acceptant place with this. That speaks volumes about you character.

As mentioned, the XJ Gang is here for you... keep fighting the good fight!

4. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

You are one lucky dude. I hope the insurance bandits treat you fair. The bike was mint.

5. Tim O

Tim O Active Member

So sorry to hear and glad you are (Reasonably) OK... thought about you a few times every time someone was pulling out in the road in front of me this weekend...

6. wgul

wgul Active Member

That's terrible man. So glad you're ok!

7. Plug

Plug Active Member

Glad you are ok! Had some buttwipe blow through a stop sign out here in the country and almost take me out at 60mph.......luckily that 6th sense kinda kicked in and I could feel what he was going to do, was able to hit a culvert and end up in the freshly chisle plowed corn field....still not sure how I kept two wheels down, but had to have a couple of friends help me get it out of the field. Dude never even slowed down.

8. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

Thanks, ditto to you as well. At those speeds it doesn't take much. The ass probably didn't even notice or know what happened.

9. jayrodoh

Settled with insurance and was able to buy the bike back for $80. Glad I went with the agreed upon value, was no hassle and they cut a check immediately after the inspection determined the bike was totaled. They also cut a check for my helmet and pants for full value as well. I will definitely use Hagerty again in the future and I would recommend them, totally no hassle. The injury/medical stuff is still in the works but at least the bike part is done.

Tow truck dropped it off yesterday. My only complaint was it sat outside for four weeks in a dirt yard, it looks like it aged 4 years in 4 weeks. I knew the frame was bent but I didn't realize how bad until I pulled the tank. Wow, that was some impact. I'm on the fence about rebuilding vs. parting. I really liked that bike but I don't want to build the same bike again, there are quite a few other bikes I've never owned and would like to own. 650 Seca comes to mind :). I covered it up and will deal with it next spring.

Here' a front shot, the bike is on the center stand and the rear rails are level.
    IMG_1332.JPG

Here's a shot from the rear, again the bike is on the center stand and rear level. Look how bent the frame is to the right, even the motor is twisted up.
    IMG_1330.JPG

Side shot of kinked frame.

IMG_1322.JPG

Jetfixer likes this.
  10. joe elliff

joe elliff Active Member

Wow. Just wow

11. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

It's a goner......sad.

12. jayrodoh

My thoughts exactly after pulling that tank.

Yup, she may be but I'm not and it'll live on either in another one I build or through other bikes. Still a lot of good stuff on it and it still runs.

Stumplifter likes this.
  13. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Yes. Often. Best looking xj?

14. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Glad you are okay...you could always try to find a donor frame and put any salvagable parts on it...hopefully engine is still okay?

15. jayrodoh

Yup. 650 Seca is my fav on styling.

16. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Told ya it was bent.......

That's so bent, I would recommend NOT doing anything with. That frame:

1. It would obviously have to be straightened......a LOT
    2. That means a lot of the metal will be weakened
    3. It will have to pass states salvage inspection before it. Can go back on. The road, and that is A LOT more involved than a regular inspection, and it will cost a LOT more.
    4. You WON'T get a good sale off of it because it will have a salvage title. For the rest of it's life.
    5. Etc........

Either get another frame and re-create it.....or--part it out and create a new masterpiece.

Whichever way you go, I'm sure I have lots of Parts you'll need
    Dave

17. jayrodoh

Engine runs fine, started right up even after 4 weeks of sitting outside. That’s the plan, look for another 82 up 650 Max and restore that with this one as a donor. I’m really torn, was a great bike but building the same one isn’t as exciting.

Jetfixer likes this.
  18. jayrodoh

There was never any plan of reusing this frame, even before I get it back there’s no way I was going to trust a frame after that kind of impact. Insurance is a PIA too on a rebuilt bike.

19. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

GOOD.
    Sometimes, though, it becomes fun to take what was a perfect bike that got wrecked/stolen/vandalized/abused/etc..... and bring it back to its former glory and they detail something to go one step more---- kind of a "thumb your nose, Nyah Nyah nyaaaah" thing.

20. Plug

Plug Active Member

That is so amazing. Soooo glad you are ok.