1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Help me understand my battery?!?

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by MikesChevelle, Sep 24, 2012.

1. MikesChevelle

MikesChevelle Member

I have had my Maxim for about 2 months now and just last week it wouldnt start due to a dead battery. I got it to pop start and when I got home I pulled the battery and saw all the cells half empty. I filled them up with distilled water and threw the battery on a charger and it charged up and I got a green light and all.

How ever, it wont stay charged. I will pull it off the charger, start the bike, drive to work (3 miles away) and when I come out to go home it wont turn over.

I would assume its not the bikes charging system, being that it it were, my battery would last at least a few days before it needed charging.

Did the fluid get to low and the battery is just ruined? The battery was installed by the previous owner earlier this year. How ever the bike sat for a few months prior to me buying it and we did have to jump the bike to get it started when I purchased it.

2. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

Don't assume that it's not your charging system, TEST your charging system. With a fully charged battery, start the bike and rev the engine to 2500 rpm. At the battery terminals, you should see 14.5 +/- 0.3 V. Rev to 5000 rpm and it should stay in this range. If it does not, your charging system is at fault.

Batteries do age. Not maintaining the fluid level + draining them will ruin them. You've got a dead battery on your hands, that's for sure, but you need to ask yourself why. If your charging system is weak, it'll ruin a new battery in short order. Wet cell batteries will only last two years unless thoroughly maintained.

When my charging system didn't work, I could get about 20 miles on the battery, but that will vary based on the health of the battery, and exactly what failed on your charging system.

3. bensalf

bensalf Well-Known Member

it could just be neglect, and the battery has run dry over time or it could be the charging system overcharging the battery.
    either way filling up an empty battery with distilled water alone will not get much capacity from it, you would need to fill it with battery acid, assuming the plates are'nt buckled. you may need a new battery, but first check the charging system, theres a "how to" on here if you do a search.
    stu

4. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

HALF empty, you sure do want to fill it with distilled water and only distilled water.

That being said, it is probably now dead. Fully charge it and take it to the local auto parts and have them load test it for you.

But by all means, TEST the output of your charging system as above.

5. wizard

wizard Active Member

Yes, just distilled water, don't add acid to anything other than a new dry battery.

6. bensalf

bensalf Well-Known Member

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Yes, just distilled water, don't add acid to anything other than a new dry battery
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    oops, sorry didnt see the bit about half full.
    stu.

7. MikesChevelle

MikesChevelle Member

sorry for my total lack of electrical understanding, but do I just check it with a regular ohm meter or something. I really understand very little about how electricity works, I am much more of a mechanical kinda guy :)

8. wizard

wizard Active Member

set your meter to 20 volts DC & hold the pins on the battery terminals, then rev to 2.5K, or there abouts, should read 14+ volts.

9. MikesChevelle

MikesChevelle Member

ok thanks

10. MikesChevelle

MikesChevelle Member

11. MikesChevelle

MikesChevelle Member

12. wizard

wizard Active Member

I'd be checking the generator brushes.

13. MN-Maxims

MN-Maxims St. Paul Minnesota

Looks like it started out right around 12v and when you revved it up went to 14v . Should be ok but I would still look at your brushes and clean where they ride.

14. MikesChevelle

MikesChevelle Member

Brushes???..... I really need to get a manual :)

Thanks for the advice and info gentlemen

15. MikesChevelle

MikesChevelle Member

ok, today was my first day on a brand new battery..........FAIL

I made it one extra "start" but the battery lasted just as long as before.

So I am getting good voltage from the recharge system....WTH??

I will say a few weeks ago when I pulled into a gas station to fill up, as soon as I shut the bike off, the starter started going, trying to start the bike, with the engine shut off and key shut off. I had to hit the button for a few minutes but I got it to stop doing that.

It has me wondering could something be "running while my bike is parked through out the day and draining my battery???

16. MikesChevelle

MikesChevelle Member

could I be overcharging??

17. maximike

maximike Member

Ok, I know you tested the charging system, but still...I would pull the cover off the alternator(on the left side of the bike, as you're sitting on it) And *look* at the alternator brushes, if they are getting close to worn out, it is just possible that sometimes it charges, sometimes it don't.

There is a wear indicator on the brush itself. There are two brushes, odds are the outside one is more worn down, as it "travels" farther. (it doesn't really, but the rotor turns underneath it and...well, you'll understand when you look at it)

Also, bad brushes *can* cause overcharging. It could be as simple as cleaning up your rotor, pretty easy to examine. Search around for "alternator brushes" here on the forum.

18. adrian1

adrian1 Active Member

You have a weird wiring fault. Your incident at the gas station proves that. Have you put a meter between the battery and disconnected battery lead to see is you have a current drain read short, somewhere?

19. MikesChevelle

MikesChevelle Member

I have not, can you explain what you mean by that process?

I had someone suggest a bad rectifier?

20. MikesChevelle

MikesChevelle Member

How does one properly test that