1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Honda Magna

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by MattiThundrrr, May 20, 2017.

1. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Does anyone know anything about 750 Magna from Honda? I am intrigued by the V4 from the viffer but I want to know: Are they reliable? Fun? Compared to Seca? One is for sale in my area and my wife is making me buy a bike. Apparently, my whining since I sold the Seca has been working.

PS I checked out a couple of Maxims at a local dealer, was set to make an offer, turns out they were there for maintenance! Don't leave them sitting out in the parking lot with no plates if they're not for sale!

2. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

I have worked on many a "V" Honda, I was in love for a while with the V65 and have had three of them. It was a sickness I got over as the carbs on those bikes are so hard to work on it is no fun. That is MHO, others may think it is easy. They have a great sound but they have all the issues as the other metric bikes have. There is a forum out there for them too, it shows the three major problems they had. One is oil getting to the over head cams another was the three wire for the rectifier, almost always melted and or shorted out by the the time they were for sale. With the "V" bikes there always seems to be a heat problem on the rear heads that changes the carbs or jets. Some would say the same for a in-line four as well.

Bottom line, if you can get past working on getting the carbs in and out of the little spot between the "V" and not brake the air filter box, they you are good to go. Just take your time as you would for all the other older bikes we seem to fall in love with. Good luck.

Toomanybikes likes this.
  3. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

Have just finished working on an 82. V45 Magna, and other than worn out bearings everywhere, wheels ,steering head , rear drive flange spraying grease all over the wheel all good.
    V 4 carbs giant PIA from hard carb boots to engine, replace them and much easier to do.
    And yes cam wear was an issue but good oil and keep the valve clearance correct.
    They have plenty of power, will stomp most 750's of that area in a drag race , but don't think for 1 second your going to make it a canyon racer, unless you get the Interceptor.
    That OD gear make for 70-80 mph cruising possible all day long.

Attached Files:

4. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

years ago worked on a "30", the carbs were a pain to get on, plastic parts in the carbs seemed real delicate. i think i remember a auxiliary gas tank under the seat with a fuel pump, looked like a nightmare to work on so i tried to forget it.
    that's a pretty rare statement :)

5. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

My wife is a rare bird. She's put up with my antics for 22 years, and I was CRAZY for the first 30 of them!

6. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

OMH, almost forgot about the AUX tank and the fuel lines, those red with some type of shield on them, hated working on that. The V65 had a fuel pump too that was under the seat, had to run the key on and then flick the right bar on/off swx to prime the carbs...so much fun...the horror of it....LOL

As for having the wife tell you to buy one, well that happened to me yrs ago. I was without a bike for one yr, longest in my life sense I was 13, well it showed and she told me to go get one. I had a 03 ZRX 1200R that next weekend.

7. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

8. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

sure is red, isn't it.

9. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

It's basically an updated XJ550. Solid bike. It has downdraft carbs and a vacuum-operated fuel pump, but is still much easier to work on than the Magna.

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  10. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

I vote for the Seca II. Never tried the 600 but I sure like them. Should make a decent sport-tourer.

11. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Downdraft? So I could go with PODS?!! Lolz

12. vashtsdaytona

vashtsdaytona Active Member

I owned one, my first street bike in fact, miss it. I tried to buy it back but the trail of ownership went cold. mine was the blue/green 92.

very comfortable, even 2 up. suspension is soft. if your a a bigger person/want to do lost of 2 up, you would want to respring. very neutral in handling, stock exhaust is quiet, its still a free air, 8 valve motor shim over bucket. so very familar power layout. easy carbs to work on. decent electrical (for accessories). somthing like 70ish HP? as i recall? quick but i wouldnt call it fast. idk what you are riding now but say compare it to my xj750 it is much more nimble and feels like a sport bike (until you get on a sport bike). i found the front brake sucked. not much feel not much stop, it really should of had duals.

as i recall in europe the diversion as its called had a sidecar option. probably pics around, i always thought that was cool.

13. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Yeah, I was in touch with the guy. Somebody already beat me to the punch. He who hesitates is lost.

14. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

I hear that and why I got up at 5 AM to drive 200 miles one way for a bike this past week.

15. HalfCentury

HalfCentury Member

I have a 96 Magna. The carbs are a pain to get off and a pain to get back on. The linkages are UNDER the carbs and inaccessible with the carbs on the bike. Its loud. All of the horsepower is above 5000 RPM. The feet forward seating position hurts my tailbone (YMMV). I do not like how it behaves in corners (YMMV).

Timbox likes this.
  16. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

The V4 Hondas were pigs as far as I'm concerned...very heavy machines but I've restored 3 of them and worked on a half dozen. Other than some cam/oil/head issues and using a 1 by 3 to roll the carbs back into place, they weren't too bad to work on. I had two 750's...got them running and sold them. Then I bought a v65 Sabre in 3 colors of original body work. I got that one running and traded it for a titled '74 RD350. Then I was asked to restore a 1983 Honda VF750F Interceptor, a 1984 honda v45 magna 750 and a 1985 honda v65 sabre all for one client. He loves the V4's and owns a beautiful collection of around 30 bikes, 15 or so are V4's.

They tend to stay together if taken care of and I just picked one up last weekend so it looks like I'll be doing another sooner than later. I'm not sure if my plan for this V65 Sabre entails just a cleanup & sell or a cleanup, get running & sell or a restoration but original parts are pretty non-existent and the market isn't bringing enough money for the bikes to be worth my time for a real restoration because even after it's done, a stellar bike would only fetch 3 grand, maybe 4. Any of my H1's will be worth more and won't take 1/3rd the effort to restore!

Just my opinion of course...

jeff

Timbox likes this.
  17. quebecois59

quebecois59 Well-Known Member

My usual ride is a '95 Magna. I haven't tried to work on the carbs, everybody says it's a PITA so I kept far away from them ! The valve adjustment is like the MAxim-X, shim in the bucket, so lots of fun in there too.

I disagree with member HalfCentury as for the power band, mine has good torque between 2500 and 5000. I don't like how it handles at low speeds, specially with two up, it is not easy at all. I have long legs so I modified the seat to sit further back and my back and legs feel better.

18. Rix86

Rix86 New Member

Currently have 3 of these I'm trying to ressurect. A magna, a sabre, and an interceptor.
    May go buy a couple more magnas.

19. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

I keep seeing them on the "C" list and pass them by. I know they will all have to have the carbs looked at and well just a pain. Now if you could find a Vmax or a Madura than it might be a little easier to work on...all depends on what you like to work on.

20. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

Had an 84 v65, tomahawk missile with wheels. Wheelies of or as long as you wanted, but getting it to turn was horrible. That long front end and too narrow handle bars ( those adjustable 3 piece ones) just about put my back out trying to counter steer.