1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

How did you get here?

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by SnoSheriff, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Dave in Ireland

Dave in Ireland Well-Known Member

Knew I was buying an XJ900F and followed my nose via google.

2. CruiseAck

CruiseAck New Member

Google. .. "xj550 forum" you were first on the list!

3. icedog75

icedog75 New Member

I bought an almost running XJ750 SECA and basically did a forum search in google. That's how I hooked up with the FJR forum...google search for info on repairs, modifications and customs called up a lot of threads from this forum so it looked like the place to be.

4. Jim Edwards

Jim Edwards Member

Bought an XJ750 earlier this year and was having electrical problems with it. Did various google searches to try to find tips on how to diagnose and repair. This site kept popping up. Best resource I have found so far.

Stumplifter likes this.
  5. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

I've owned a '83 XJ550 Maxim since new. In the last decaude started needing some basic maintenance. Since I didn't want to pay someone, started googling. Brought me to this site and the great information here.

6. IvorC

IvorC New Member

Hi, I've just joined. I bought a '94 XJ900S six months ago, and I love it, though I'd love it more if it had a sixth gear...

I found this forum because I did a general search for what causes the high-pitch whistling sound under acceleration. This is the only site I found that acknowledges this noise, and possibly explains it. Because at very low engine speed it is a chirruping sound that's only present under throttle, turning into a whistling with rising speed, I at first assumed it was whining gears - in the output drive. But I quickly realised that it was engine-speed related only, not road speed, so I bow before those who have said it's some sort of resonance through the clutch basket.

While I like the jet-plane sound under acceleration, it's quite ugly at low speeds - particularly with unbalanced carbs, which I have, as the resulting torque variations make it really obvious.

Now... how the hell to cure or reduce it (other than balancing the carbs, which I will)? I do need a new clutch assembly, so does that present an opportunity?

Good to meet fellow XJ bores...

Ivor.

7. IvorC

IvorC New Member

Well, I've been awarded a forum trophy for making my first post, but I don't get it till I make another post.
    On a purely selfish basis, here's that second post, even though I have nothing constructive to say at this moment.
    Where's my trophy?!

MattiThundrrr likes this.
  8. rocs82650

rocs82650 Well-Known Member

No soup for you! (from Jerry Sienfeld Soup Nazi Episode)

Gary H.

9. Derek Patterson

Derek Patterson New Member

Via google. Mine's kind of a weird case. Had an 82 750 Maxim back in the early 90's. Loved it. Then had a family an didn't ride for 20 years. Got back into bikes and bought a ..... 1985 700 Maxim.

Her name is Maxine.

[​IMG]

10. ChrisM

ChrisM New Member

r/cruisers on reddit sent me this way.

11. Oddcobb

Oddcobb New Member

I have a friend in real life who is on the forum. They spoke very highly of this place. So here I am to check it out

12. SraWratS

SraWratS Member

I can't remember the exact search words I used, but it was google. I think "XJ750X" or "maxim x". It was probably with "needs choke to run" or "carbs" or whatever problem I was solving that day. I've googled that bike so much, I think I was led to a thread about someone resolving whatever issue I had.

13. Hairyxj

Hairyxj New Member

Hello, found this site looking for air pressures in the forks on my '81 xj650. Also have an '81 xj550. I live in Sussex, England.

14. Big swede

Big swede Active Member

Hello, bought a 750 seca this spring that's been sitting for 15 years. Whas looking for information when i came across your site. Has been very helpful during the restoration, its not finished yet, but hopefully by next spring. Living in Sweden, so the winter is long.....

15. maxj550

maxj550 New Member

Did some internet search about an older xj550 running project and saw this great website :)

16. Bryan Nill

Bryan Nill New Member

My google-fu was strong! So with my return to being a XJ owner, I sidled up to the bar.

17. Ray

Ray New Member

Hey there. I was trying to figure out why the {red} 1983 650 maxim that I just bought has black lower fork legs?? I was on google and hit "Images" and someone on here was speaking about a 900 Midnight Special. I hit "Visit the page" and saw that your blog is all about Yamaha bikes. Cool! My 650 runs like new but it's nice know that if a mild issue comes up, I might find some help here?
    I'm guessing that somewhere over the last few decades that 650 Midnight Special lower fork legs replaced the originals??? No matter, I'll grab my autosol and buffing wheel and polish them clean this winter.

18. eurosnap53

eurosnap53 Member

What's up everyone?! I found xjbikes.com for my 1982 750 Maxim...homie of mine had aquirred this bike for nothing in hopes to use as a daily with minimal work...I actually rode the bike when he picked it up; it had been sitting in a warehouse for 12 years and had 70xx miles. We fueled it up and put jumpers to the battery, and after a minute of turning, it grumbled to life. It was rough, brakes worked under 15 miles an hour. But a complete, relatively unmolested moto, my buddy parked it in the garage. It sat for another year. One day he hit me up about a brand new Pearl Studio Full drum kit, they way he wanted for 1/2 price, virtually unused....I gave him $400 and aquired the XJ750.

So, in the year that he had it, some parts of the wire harness were "modified" for a more "clean" look; just cut the front section clean off. Ok, I can manage, going minimal anyway. The moto sat in my garage for 3 more years.

19. kmcconnell

kmcconnell New Member

Just got an XJ750 in a trade for my boat. Found this after googling around trying to figure out why it won't start.

I'm new to engine repair so I figured it'd be a fun adventure - or trip to a shop. Used to ride a dirt bike about 2 decades ago. New to street bikes. Can't wait to get it running and take her for a ride.

20. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

As a former boat owner; you got the better end of the deal.