1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

How did you get here?

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by SnoSheriff, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Wagy

Wagy Active Member

Nice write up, Reflektor, I feel the same way. This site IS all difference weather you can accually do what your mind is showing you or not. I could have never finished my resto without the help of this site, and finding parts could not be any easier with chacal on site and his ( SAM_0199.JPG SAM_0199.JPG SAM_0199.JPG XJ4ever.com) parts invetory. I am just about to reviel my 85 Maxim XJ700N, after a 2 yr rebuild, good wrenching to you. (Here is one sneak peak of the reveil) more to come this week, only 2nd road test run going to happen today if the rain holds off !

Lightcs1776 and Reflektor like this.
  2. gary huey

gary huey New Member

someone on my xs1100 facebook group recommended this site

3. Wagy

Wagy Active Member

Mine was a google search about re-jetting yamaha maxim carbs, related links took me to XJ4ever.com.
    By far the best info site on the web for XJ's and many others. No need to look elsewhere for facts or parts !
    I came across this site after i decieded to tear down my 85 Maxim 700N, and only after needing technical info on putting it back together. I only wish i had all the knowledge that you guys provide before i did ( or didn't ) do a few
    ( ok ) a lot of things without the forums. SAM_0198.JPG
    Thanks , here's a pic of how it turned out.
    P.S. link some info on becoming a " Premium Member " cause i believe the help and info that i get is worth helping the site grow and profit, and i would like to be a part of that.

4. rocs82650

rocs82650 Well-Known Member

Nice bike. Click the "Donate" icon at the bottom of this page.

Gary H.

5. bikerguy

bikerguy Member

I had bought my first Xj bike and was not really familiar with them. I wanted to join a forum and had found several others on yahoo searches before I stumbled on this site. I since don't even remember the names of the other forums!!!

Stumplifter likes this.
  6. KristoF

KristoF New Member

Boring Sunday evening and google search, that leaded me here.

7. Cliffy B

Cliffy B Member

I found this site shortly after I bought my first bike, a 1983 xj650 maxim, back in early August. It was in a little worse than rough condition when I got it. I was looking for a good place to find problems with this particular bike and how to work on it. This site has been more than helpful. I have already disassembled the bike and ordered parts for the things that I have already found in need of repair. I look forward to gathering more information as I go, and maybe one day providing information to someone else.

Cliff B.

Stumplifter likes this.
  8. Gershwizzle

Gershwizzle New Member

Just bought a pair of 650's is why I'm here

RPS likes this.
  9. CactusJack578

CactusJack578 Member

Googled Yamaha XJ650 Seca...First off I was a fan of Yamaha's but not a big fan. I bought an 82 750 Seca with the OEM fairing back in the late 80's or early 90s that some guy had left sitting outside. I bought it only because I like motorcycles and I swear that Seca looked sad like an old dog sitting out there in the cold while the snow fell. I had some limited experience with the XJ's and felt they were much under rated motorcycles. I fixed the Seca and rode it for a while. I could not believe how smooth riding that bike was and the gearing was perfect. What a great bike. I sold it to get a large touring bike (which I never did) and kicked myself in the butt for selling the Seca. I bought a lost titled 82 XJ650 Seca in 2007 that had been sitting for years. I love those Secas. I wanted to learn more and not being puter savvy someone told me to Google it. So I Googled XJ650 Seca and this forum was listed and the rest is, as they say, history. Sorry to say I ended up selling the 650 Seca before I did anything to it but I'm back with a 650 Maxim I'm working on. ( Couldn't find another Seca). I'm more of a twin cylinder kinda guy. I'm a big Sportster fan but not a cruiser fan so my Sportster isn't set up for cruising. Remember the Sportster was originally a dirt bike and it's design hadn't changed until about 2004. Anyway. The people in this forum are so doggone friendly and eager to share information. I think it's great. And even though I'm not a "Get involved" kind of person I want to get this Maxim going and modify it a little with ideas I've picked up in this forum, to suit me, or find another Seca then meet up with some of you guys..and or Gals..and hopefully do some riding together.

10. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

So, cactus.......when you get your bike reliable, ride it out to central New York next June for the Central NY Carb Clinic #10! (CNYCC#10)

Dave Fox

Lightcs1776 likes this.
  11. CactusJack578

CactusJack578 Member

Thanks for the invite, Dave. Maybe I will if I get this thing together.. Jack

12. who needs 4 wheels

who needs 4 wheels New Member

hi there.
    i found you through google while looking for info for a '83 900 seca i've just brought to do up & propel me round the highways & byeways of this fair isle aswell as the emerald isle next year (& carry a 125 track bike im building) :)

13. Door dude

Door dude Active Member Premium Member

When i bought my second xj back in 9 /16 i kinda figured that there wasn't that many xj's still out there. I googled 1982 yamaha xj 750 j maxim parts and walla there you were.

14. The Original CruiserXJ650

The Original CruiserXJ650 New Member

Well, there was a girl involved. You see, I have this really cool, independent pretty close lady friend who I would like to move beyond "friend" status. She has friends with crotch rockets and bought one this year - a 650 Kawasaki Ninja - and took the riders course, bought the modern "leathers", seems kind of into it, long term. And I am NOT a crotch rocket kind of guy - most are annoying and dangerous. I really like the original Maxim concept, just done up in a more nostalgic "biker look". And at past 60, I have no interest in standing on my seat and doing wheelies.

I'm not rich, but always wanted a bike (took motorcycling in college in 1974!) and by chance a 1980 XJ650 Maxim in medium rough but intact shape appeared on Craigslist. For $175.00 and a Remington shotgun I owned a Yamaha. Last tagged in 2006, with title, early, First year Production Maxim I - 1200 range serial number. Came with new tires, new replacement exhaust, busted speedo head from being flipped out from under previous frightened owner three years ago. Shot Marvel Mystery Oil in cylinders, waited a week and was able to pull it through, so it should start when I replace the battery and starter solenoid.

So far I have been in research and parts acquisition mode - factory and Haynes manual(s), literature, replacement 750 tank for the rusted out 650 tank, Factory High Cruiser Seat (looking for a NOS or supplier for cover), Factory (NOS) sissy bar, Factory Saddlebag Mounts (NOS),replacement speedo/tach, throttle and cable. Hopefully by February I can start working on it in earnest and hear it run. Thanks to all for all the Great Info! Cruiser, out.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
    Stumplifter likes this.
  15. JetmechMarty

JetmechMarty Active Member

GOOGLE. A long time ago, I came here looking for parts or procedural help or something. I joined recently as I'm trying to put folks together for a fall rally in NC. Check it out!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stumplifter likes this.
  16. AshtonDad

AshtonDad New Member

Google. I own three XJ's now. Two 85 XJ700's and a 82 XJ650. Started building one of my 85's a few months ago and hoping to get it on the street soon.

Stumplifter likes this.
  17. Wagy

Wagy Active Member

Hey Jet, keep us up-dated on the Blue Ridge Run, I always wanted to ride that area. Maybe this will be the year.
    The regulars here have all seen my re-build enough, but seeing that your starting a XJ700, thought I'd send a pic or two of the one I just finished up at the end of fall...I sure learned a lot from the guys on this site, could not of done it without them. By the way, if your not aware of it, Chacal @ xj4ever either has or can get almost any part for that XJ !!!
    Just waiting for spring now, was only able to get her out a couple of time before tucking her in for the season. 007.JPG

Attached Files:

18. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

JetmechMarty
    I like your helmet it looks familiar to me:rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

19. AshtonDad

AshtonDad New Member

I'm about a week out to getting the first bike up and going with a first ride hopefully in January so I'll post pictures soon.

20. jmaz268

jmaz268 New Member

I was drinking a nice glass of aberlour scotch and a cigar a couple of nights ago and someone random person messages me about trading my xbox for a motorcycle.....and here we are.