1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

I just got a XJ750, my first ever project... now what?

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Aaron B, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Aaron B

Aaron B New Member

So.... where do I even start?

Newbie here. Today I bartered with a guy on Craigslist and basically got an 82 Seca 750 for a handshake and a hardy pat on the back. He is an auto tech that got the bike as partial payment for a job someone could not fully afford, and had no interest in keeping it as he already had a pickup and two sleds in various stages of "project".

It's rough. The last plate tags are from 1988. The battery is dead, the seat is all but disintegrated, and he says the carb needs to be torn down and cleaned out. He did test compression and that looked good. And I am considering a complete teardown, but I am a newbie - never owned/worked on a bike before. I would love some suggestions!

2. steber

steber Active Member

Welcome! You got a lot of work ahead of you.. You'll want to tear that carb down completely and rebuild it. Also, tires should be checked for date codes, brakes should be checked for delamination. lines should be inspected for fatigue. Valve clearances will need to be checked, compression numbers should be verified to be in spec. Working on a bike can be easy if you're savvy enough to do the work. It's great you found this place, because all the above mentioned items have some great write ups and theirs a wealth of information that can be had here. Such as "The information overload hour" along with "the church of clean". I'm sure this all sounds like vague advice, but keep poking around and you'll find everything you need to know. Also, member Chacal runs xj4ever (see the link in the top right corner?!) he's a one stop shop for any parts that you'll need for this rebuild from brake lines, to carb rebuild kits, he has it all. Luckily XJs are like tanks, and with the proper maintenance you'll get a long life out of the bike.

wgul, Stumplifter and Aaron B like this.
  3. steber

steber Active Member

wgul, Lightcs1776, k-moe and 2 others like this.
  4. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

^^^^
    All of that. It may feel overwhelming, don't waste your money taking it to a shop.
    This is all about you Aaron, starting a journey towards becoming an XJ mechanic. Then you will know without a doubt that everything is safe and reliable.

k-moe and Aaron B like this.
  5. Aaron B

Aaron B New Member

Thanks guys! Before making the deal I did creep this forum a bit and saw that, unlike many other similar forums this one is super supportive of us new guys. Thanks for the encouragement.

I have been wanting to take on a project like this to learn how to fix up bikes, and this was a low barrier-to-entry option for me. I also hope to use this bike to teach my son (still a bit too young right now - 4 y/o) about automechanics and the responsibilty of owning his own vehicle.

Stumplifter and k-moe like this.
  6. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Aaron, check your inbox

Dave Fox