1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

I just picked up a project

Discussion in 'For Sale, Trade/Swap, Wanted' started by Oldmansin, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Robert Parker

Robert Parker New Member

I only scored the one bike. I also found out that the bike has very low miles on it. I would like to get it back up to running condition. I looked at the carb setup and I only have 1 complete carb out of 4. They were in a box when i got them. It will cost me just as much to find all of the parts than it would be to buy them already rebuilt and ready to put on the bike.
    20170805_171054.jpg

2. Oldmansin

Oldmansin Member

Apparently I need to stop working on mine in the driveway. Had a guy pulls in last night while I had mine torn down. He said I looked like I knew bikes and asked a few questions. After a few back and forth and some pics I evaluated he had a bad main fuse. He thanked me and went on his way and left me to put mine back together. A ten minute brake job and some spray paint turned into 3 hours with the help of a wrung off bolt that needed WD, heat, vice grips and a drill to get out. Gotta love old bikes.

Attached Files:

TheCrazyGnat likes this.
  3. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

When I was in the service in GA I drove to work many time on one of my bikes. One of the guys found out I like to tinker and had a little workshop in my garage. Seemed like every weekend I had someone else stopping by to work on there bike or needed help with something. I loved it "most" of the time, because spreading the joy of wrenching motorcycles is great!

TheCrazyGnat likes this.
  4. Oldmansin

Oldmansin Member

Got the tank acid cleaned and sand blasted Sunday. Ready to throw some paint at it. Front end is buttoned up as soon as I get my levers in the mail and remove the front fender. This project is coming along nicely. Get the carbs rebuilt and this thing will be road ready. I'll get some better pics when the weather cooperates and I can get it back outside. IMG_20170814_085236_01.jpg IMG_20170807_202947738_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg IMG_20170807_203011219.jpg

5. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Looking good, coming along nicely. I do have a question for you, are those red lights or are you using a filter on the camera? Just thinking the Emergency vehicles are allowed to use Red, not too sure about motorcycles. I like the looks of the bars and headlight mount though.

6. Oldmansin

Oldmansin Member

The headlights are a kit from j&p cycles I picked up a few years back and had lying around. They use standard halogen bulbs and have an auxiliary 194 bulb in the bottom. I changed it to a red led bulb and hooked it up to the running light. The bright red photo is with the key turned to park. With the main lights on, the red is barely visible. Here in NC as you can have red and blue lights as long as they don't flash.

7. Oldmansin

Oldmansin Member

The bars are actually stock ones. I flipped them around and rolled them down in the risers. Yamaha fz07 clutch and master, left side switches. Kept the stock right side switches. Doing away with the choke cable in favor of a lever mounted to the carbs.

8. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

Interesting, I just asked my local police chief, a friend of mine, about the SD law on front lights as I'm thinking about adding some extra LED lamps on the front.

Front lights have to be white here. Amber turn signals are ok. No red or blue except for emergency vehicles. You might get picked up if you cross somebody's state line.

9. Oldmansin

Oldmansin Member

I'll chance it. It's no different than those halo lights, and I can disconnect them if need be. I've had red led lights on my other bike for years with no problems.

10. Oldmansin

Oldmansin Member

Got some paint on the tank, it's little by little. IMG_20170814_210926003.jpg IMG_20170814_210926003.jpg IMG_20170814_210942014.jpg IMG_20170814_211003462.jpg

11. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

That fender had better be next! Your two tone color scheme isn't working for me.

12. Oldmansin

Oldmansin Member

Lol, I just haven't taken the front wheel off yet. Waiting on my bike lift to be returned. Loaned it to a friend for his rebel project.

13. Oldmansin

Oldmansin Member

It's the little things that make a custom custom. That's the thing I like about getting old taken for granted bikes. If they're pristine it's hard to put yourself into it, where as if they're junk, you can improve and customize as you repair.

14. Oldmansin

Oldmansin Member

IMG_20170818_080843138.jpg

15. Oldmansin

Oldmansin Member

The dreaded carb rebuild is upon me. These things are nasty, but not for long. IMG_20170818_203502894.jpg IMG_20170818_203512120.jpg IMG_20170818_203518092.jpg

16. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

I see 14 screws that should be replaced. A lot of people have switched to he when replacing screws. Less difficult than jis.

17. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

I've had worse......

18. Oldmansin

Oldmansin Member

I have the rebuild kit from xj4ever, and bought some replacements that weren't in the kit. I wanted hex, but they didn't have enough, so I got some stainless Phillips, and some anti seize. They're not in bad shape considering it spent two years sitting outside at the coast. The hats are the worst part, will probably blast and paint them.

19. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Powder coating is nice... nice and expensive! Lolz

20. Oldmansin

Oldmansin Member

Well, I spoke too soon. This is the inside of the bowls. I already have the deluxe rebuild kit from xj4ever, what else, that's not in that kit, do I need to buy to correct this.....any help would be awesome. I'm not a carb guy. IMG_20170819_105132054.jpg