1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

LED UPDATE YOUR LIGHT'S

Discussion in 'Reviews - Service, Online, Retail Shop' started by Tim morris, May 8, 2017.

1. Tim morris

Tim morris Active Member Premium Member

I decided that my headlights needed to be upgraded so I purchased a LED high low beam bulb with a ribbon Cooling heat sink and put it into my headlight not to my surprise it draws so much less juice that the bulb indicator light came on well that requires resistors and a heatsink for those resistors so I went to Walmart and found kits I installed the kits in line for the high and low beam and attach them to a large piece of brass that I just happen to have that fit perfectly in the side the full custom fairing for the XJ RJ used a little double-sided tape and stuck it to the inside of the fairing then all is well until I drove around a while now on occasion when I put on the high beam everything works but for no reason at all the headlight warning comes on I wish I knew how to disable the system then I could get rid of the resistors and the heatsink any ideas anyone

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

there is a thread about it
    with diagrams
    simple soulition was a magnet near the sensor

tech forum or mod forum

Tim morris likes this.
  3. Tim morris

Wow looking but no luck yet?

4. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

5. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I have some more information on this, but have not posted it as I have not completed the testing (family, car, and life issues), and the issue of the bulbs not being DOT compliant I consider a factor. Furthermore, the preliminary testing that I did with the LED bulb although not conclusive, I was very disappointed in the daytime visibility as a driving light as my first impression was that it substantially lowered visibility during the day compared to the halogen. I have not even tried it for night driving.

I would be interested in other members that have tried the LED headlight and gather their opinions on both night and day functionality. I would suspect there are more without the CMS that have made the change as they would not have to deal with the CMS warning. Any DOT experts opinions welcomed also.

Len doesn't sell them, must be a reason.

Hint: most of the issues are caused by the high beam indicator bulb.

6. Tim morris

I do have great visibility clear cut off line on the road high and low much brighter longer distance at this time I'm not sure if the manufacturer or the light bulb that I chose I believe it was headwinds through JP Cycles I chose the ribbon Cooling Style for fitment as the other ones had too much housing on the rear of the bulb to fit in the housing of the Yamaha someone mentioned a magnet on the instrument cluster if that would help me get rid of the resistors then the light would be doing it's true job saving electricity and giving me the ultimate available visibility I would consider a modification to the instrument control panel the light is worth it I want to see that dear before I hit it