1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Looking for hands-on help

Discussion in 'Central US and Canada' started by robarfamly, Jun 24, 2013.

1. robarfamly

robarfamly New Member

Hello,
    My son and I have 1982 XJ 750 and 650's.
    Both ran a year ago; 750 needs minor electric (turn signal switch, rear lights, ...) just mentioning to cover.
    After bench setting both cars twice, with son doing reinstall / attempt to get running with gasoline running out exhaust pipe each time ... need help with someone who knows what is what and will work with us to "learn" what we can't figure out.
    We had help & resources here on JX, but have come to an impass in this father / son effort.

If there is someone near enough to Palatine Illinois that is willing and able to help us get these two carbs installed and bikes starting correctly, I'd appreciate it. Summer has started and can't get out on the road.

Thank you in advance for your consideration and constructive recommendation.

2. SilentRaven

SilentRaven Member

hey robar family, im not near Illinois, but if you check out the members map (link in my signature) you could see who lives nearby and send them some PMs.

also if you post your carb questions in the XJ Chat section of the forums im sure some people can get soem answers for yah there. best of luck!

3. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

4. robarfamly

robarfamly New Member

thank you for the two replies. Using the maps as recommended, I found the couple nearest members and will see if one or more of them might help. With respect to setting the float levels, we'd successfully followed this procedure; please note it states to "...bribe someone who knows what they are doing to help..." the step we are at. Part of our "challenge", is that both bikes worked, we'd done the complete 650 carb rebuild successfully (with help) and it worked fine. The 750 had been driven hundreds of miles. Then in taking the boots off the 650 to use on the 750 (order new for the 750), the "... son / father activity..." without "neutral guidance" resulted in the current two none running bikes...

Any of you dads doing a "project" with at teenager might appreciate the perspective.

Thank you again.

5. jmilliken

jmilliken Well-Known Member

possibly float needles sticking? or as Fitz said wet set