1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

May need to trim the 'herd' :( , need input

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Mad_Bohemian, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Mad_Bohemian

Mad_Bohemian Active Member

Well, we sold our house and plan on building , that's the good news. Bad news is I need to make space and create additional income. Most of you know VooDoo, my 82' 750 Maxim, as much as I hate to, I am seriously considering selling, but I am wondering what a realistic price would be. What price tag would you guys put on her. And of course, if I DO sell I will give my XJ buds first crack at her... here's some pics of how she sits today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]/url]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Click on any one of the pics and you can scroll through a gallery of shots, plus I have more available :p

So whaddya thinks guys, what's the ol' girl worth??[/URL]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
  2. Core

Core Active Member

That IS one nice bike!

I take it you are in the US so my opinion on price is useless (I am in Switzerland), but over here we hear that things are looking pretty bad for the average joe in the US
    You guys have all of a sudden had to pay way more for your health insurance among other things.:(
    My advice would he hold on to the bike and put the building project on hold. That's just me though.;)

Your missus would probably disagree with me vehemently though. (I get into trouble no matter where I go :eek:)

Good luck with your bike sale and your new home project.

Stumplifter likes this.
  3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

beautiful bike, as a custom bike you must under stand that your market for buyers in limited to those who want to pay for those mods.
    most folks will not pay for the customization.
    my friend has been trying to sell his chromed out HD for 3 years the price he is asking is includes the 15K in aftermarket chrome.
    he should have kept the stock parts. for what he wants you could go to the HD dealer and get a new canvas.
    this is where i would start picking on you at the purchase interview.
    what does GHC stand for, and you are missing a screw on the left side cover, is that the correct right side cover? Manifold boots look bad, head nut not chromed like the one aside of it HHMMMM
    tuning forks look nice but that is a logo for another era Yamaha.
    how much do you think it is worth?

4. quebecois59

quebecois59 Well-Known Member

As always, it is basically a question of how much someone wants it. If someone wants it real bad because he thinks it is the coolest bike on Earth, sky is the limit !

5. Mad_Bohemian

Mad_Bohemian Active Member

Thanks Core :D
    Putting the building project on hold isn't really an option, considering we went from a 3000sq ft house with a 3 stall garage to a 670sq ft apartment with two border collies, and our life is in storage. My wife has been vehemently disagreeing with putting the bike up for sale :eek:. But like I told her, I can always customize more bikes, but getting started on our retirement home is more of a priority at this point in life :D

as far as worth, I have too much sentimental value wrapped up in it to be objective, that's why I'm asking you guys " :D

Core likes this.
  6. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

I think it is worth more than what you will be able to get for it . . . if that makes sense?

Border collies are smart and you can give them inside 'thinking' activities so they will have plenty of mental exercise and won't need a big yard to chase around in . . . just sayin' that maybe your wife is right - don't sell it, stay in the apartment a bit longer and buy a few lotto tickets!

I'm aligned with Queby and XJ550 - there is someone out there that wants that bike . . . But it may be really hard to find them.

Put it on flea-bay so you can reach a broader market and see if someone falls in love (replace that missing screw first!), that is your only hope for getting top dollar for it.

7. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Most people come on here say "SWMBO says the bike gotta go"..... You got one that says "the bike gotta stay", and yet you're asking??!!??

Mad_Bohemian and jayrodoh like this.
  8. Core

Core Active Member

If you built her yourself, then this is not a bike to you. It represents your passion and love for bikes all poured into this beautiful machine.
    In this case there is no price for it. I'd put it up for best offer. I am sure you would feel better selling it to a really nice person for 5k than to a dickhead for 10k.
    So my advice would now be to try to sell it in a way that you can vet the buyers face to face.
    The right person will find you. The universe is conspiring to do this for you. Trust the force Luke.

Good luck
    A

Mad_Bohemian and Stumplifter like this.
  9. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

While I would hate to see you sell it, I will also play devils advocate it for a second…

There's nothing wrong with the bike, you know what you did to make it yours… Sell it, And then when the time is right find another good solid starting point and build yourself another one. And make that one even better!

Mad_Bohemian likes this.