1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Mikuni BDS26 Wet Set Question on a 93 XJ600

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by PepNYC, Mar 22, 2018.

1. PepNYC

PepNYC Member

Quick question guys. While I'm wet setting (clear tube method) the carbs do I leave it on prime? Also, I'm assuming I need to put a nipple over the vacuum port on the intake? I keep trying to search and can't pinpoint the exact answers. Any help would be appreciated or if anyone has a working link that shows the exact process that'd be great. A video would work too. BTW, they've all been cleaned, rebuilt and dry set off the bike.

I'm in the process of making an auxiliary fuel tank but in the meantime I have to rig up the gas tank with some long fuel line.

Thanks

2. Xjrider92117

Xjrider92117 Active Member

PepNYC likes this.
  3. Xjrider92117

Xjrider92117 Active Member

Not sure if it's the same for your carbs tho

PepNYC likes this.
  4. PepNYC

PepNYC Member

yeah. I saw that. I'm not gonna spend the money or the time on building a pvc rack though. I'm just going to do it on the bike. Making sure its leveled out properly of course.

Judging by that pdf, I'd assume the vacuum port is a non issue since the bike won't be running. I guess my question is, and again judging by the pdf, it seems as though i need a constant flow of fuel to the carbs. My confusion is if I have the petcock on prime or valve on the auxiliary tank wide open while I have the clear tube on, open the screw and let in flow in the tube, the fuel level will go down in the bowl letting more fuel in so would I get an inaccurate reading in the tube? Or...do I open the valve on the gas tank for a few seconds, let the fuel flow in then shut the valve so when the needle valve opens I don't let any more in. Or just leave it wide open the whole time?

Does that make sense?

5. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

1st up, you're right, if you have a bench vise you don't need to make the flimsy PVC stand.
    You do need to wet set without the bike.
    If it leaks gas or if you need to tweak the level on any carb, you don't want the hassle of pulling them back out of the bike.
    also they will not sit level in the bike.

You need to connect the fuel inlet to a source of fuel higher than your carbs. You can do this with a small gas can and a siphon hose.
    A little bit of head pressure is all you need to make sure your float valves shut off properly.
    You connect clear tubing to the drains on each float bowl and open the drain screw. This will demonstrate the level.
    I have a trick to connect tubing to Mikuni float bowls which costs almost nothing. Ask me about it once you've understood everything to that point.

PepNYC likes this.
  6. PepNYC

PepNYC Member

I've actually seen a few people do it with the carbs on the bike. Not on the side stand of course. Chock the front wheel, place some jack stands under the mufflers and level her out with a carpenters level. Works fine. Probably not the safest way but if ya throw in some cargo straps I'm sure it'll be OK.

I understand. I have the tubing that fits the bowls. I already tested 1 carb. Level seemed a bit high so I just wasn't sure if I needed a constant flow of fuel or I was screwing the reading up by not cutting the fuel off. 4-6mm below line on float bowl. Mine was right at the line. Guess I need to make some adjustments.

All tricks and tips are welcomed though.

7. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

here is my trick to connect common battery vent line to Mikuni float bowl drains.

Mikuni float bowls.JPG

PepNYC likes this.
  8. PepNYC

PepNYC Member

Mine are totally different. They have a little nipple sticking out that I can just slip the tubing right on to.

[​IMG]

Simmy likes this.
  9. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

when doing it on bike make sure you check level left to right with clear tube method fuel level should be same for carb 1 when checked against carb 4.
    set petcock to prime and start measuring

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    PepNYC likes this.
  10. PepNYC

PepNYC Member

I got it now. Thank you guys for your help.

11. bensalf

bensalf Well-Known Member

93 xj600?, that would be the diversion in Europe, yes.
    the one with downward angled carbs , you cant set them with a level off the bike, they need to be angled as they are on the bike.
    stu

PepNYC likes this.
  12. Boyne

Boyne New Member

Have just done my diversion on the bike for that reason. I measured one carb against both no 1 and no 2 to make sure it was level. It is not a problem to pop the rack on and off until it is all correct and then finish reassembly.