1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

My 81 xj550 Maxim build

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by cruzin, Jun 8, 2017.

1. cruzin

cruzin Active Member

Bought my 81 550 a few weeks ago from a friend. He had acquired it in a multi bike buy and did not want this one. It was without any front or rear fenders, no seat and the fuel tank has so much rust in it I hoped that the po never ran with it. The wiring was not hooked up because there was no lights, horn or any other electrical component. When he asked me if I wanted to buy it I told him I would check a few things out on it and let him know. He was storing it in my shop. I rigged up some wires so I could try and crank the motor over and check the compression. I rolled over and did have over 100 compression on all cyl. It had no air box and the Or side covers no nothing. But this is the way I like them. I like chops. Someone cut this frame up and so I want to do better for it. I bought some DOM tube to redo the hack job but first I wanted to hear it run or it might not be worth the time to fix the frame. So first I checked the valve clearance, I had to replace 7 shims but they are within or very close now. Being the fuel tank is so rusty inside, I tapped this tank on the floor and go a pile or loose rust half the size of a bowl of cereal. I have a fuel tank on a stand so I hooked up a fuel line to the carb rack and in a few moments gas was pouring out of 2 carbs. Pulled the carbs and took apart cleaned everything as good as I can with carb cleaner and air. Took the floats out and cleaned the needle and seats put back together and did a float adjustment after doing a wet check on the bench. Get to the good poing. If fired right up. no more over flows So far.
    Someone has cut out and filled in on the backbone of the frame. I bought some DOM tube this week and going to see what I can do about replacing what I think is a mess. The bike only has a side stand and I think I should have a center stand or make a stand that will reduce the pressure on the frame up top when I do this surgery. So I needing to buy or make something to support the bike and weight of it as not to bow the frame when I remove the bad areas and make it over. Attached is a picture of the PO chop..
    I also ordered some new jets for it and some other parts.
    Ill be back.

Attached Files:

• bike.jpg
      bike.jpg
      File size:
      168.4 KB
      Views:
  2. cruzin

cruzin Active Member

Found my e-manual and was able to do my cam chain though I did not notice it do anything or hear anything when I loosened the tensioner bolt so I hope that did what it supposed to do, and I checked the timing and that was right on. My jets came yesterday so hopefully this weekend I can pull carbs out and change the jets. Im hoping I can use two of the old stock jets and put them in the 2 hoses of my home made vacuum gizmo’s to make it not quite so rapid of response when I syncing the carbs.

3. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

Sounds like this 550 is in good hands. Keep at'r.

4. cruzin

cruzin Active Member

Im wanting to buy a center stand for my bike, I found one that I can buy for under 18 shipped but its not for a a maxim and is for the other model. Or is the center stand the same for both models? I guess that is the question.

5. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

IMG_1304.PNG yamahapartsnation.com is a good place to look up part numbers for comparison.
    And your in luck Center stand is the same for all xj550's

6. cruzin

cruzin Active Member

thanks a bunch Ill order that stand.

7. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

I'm sure if you put it out there one of the other members has one laying about. Not like some of the eBay ones that may or may not be the correct one

8. cruzin

cruzin Active Member

I ordered one from a xj550 so heres hoping. I made up a stand last night for the bike but I think that using the center stand for working on the bike is going to be far better than what I made. I would need help getting the bike on and off the stand everytime. I need some sort of support so I dare cut out the backbone hack job that was done to it, If I cut out the bad with it supported by rear wheel and front wheel it may just bend my frame bad. I think to support it with the center stand will be the best.

9. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The best bet to correct the hack-job will be to strip everything off of the frame, and build a jig to support the frame before you cut out the bad work. You can do it without building a jig, but will need to plan carefully so that you maintain the frame geometry and don't cause it to twist when you weld in the new tubing (keep in mind that uneven cooling will make the frame distort).

10. cruzin

cruzin Active Member

Im thinking to tack weld a couple solid bars each side from front to rear

k-moe likes this.
  11. cruzin

cruzin Active Member

Have not did anything with the frame as of yet except I bought a centre stand and I now have the ability to put it on that centre stand to do the work, it sits just right when I slide about an inch and a quarter under the rear tire. and I have made plan of what to do with the frame and I need one more size of dom tube. I bought 4 ft of 1.2" OD and had 1" dom from last build that slides perfect into the 1.2 for the backbone. Now I need some 3/4 to slide into my 1". I ordered 3 ft of the 3/4 tonight so may be next week end I can start.

12. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

What's the wall thickenss and type of the tubing that you bought?

13. cruzin

cruzin Active Member

1/8 wall.

14. cruzin

cruzin Active Member

Removed the bad parts and then found that my Dom tubing had a thicker wall than stock backbone so I took a 13" piece and turned it down to just slide in the original piece drilled holes around it for welding. Also bent up 2 1" tubes to remake ones going back I think I'll have to replace all the rear frame. Here's some pictures.

Attached Files:

15. cruzin

cruzin Active Member

New shocks came, I drew up a cad drawing for rear mounts and emailed to a guy who has a laser cnc to cut out for me..

Attached Files:

16. cruzin

cruzin Active Member

Finally got my shock mounts from the laser guy. got everything even best I could. The tank and seat are from another bike but I will go with something similar only bigger seat. I might go with a tank that has a high tunnel this one in the IMG_20170721_224324148.jpg picture is a mid tunnel.

Chitwood likes this.
  17. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Mid tunnel doesn't look bad... Size is ok too. I assume you are not planning to ride this for long distances. It would be nice to fill in the space above the valve cover though. Will you have a cover/battery box under the seat, or do you plan on hiding the battery? If there is space there, then the tank space will be fine. Unless it interferes with the bars...

18. cruzin

cruzin Active Member

Ill probably mount the coils under the tank if I use a mid tunnel. Ill have to see how big a standard battery is for these. I used one of the shorai super small and powerful one for my xs and I have the charger for it so may go that way. I built a electronic box for the xs that had regulator and rectifier, the fuse panel, start relay and the battery hung under it plus the start button and light switches were on the outside of it. Not sure on the bars if Ill use them or not they came on the bike. I do want to do forward controls and sissy bar and may be a small fender. thanks for the interest.

Chitwood likes this.
  19. cruzin

cruzin Active Member

Looking for information on rear wheel spacing. Im in the process of mounting a rear fender and I got to looking and my tire/wheel is closer to the swing arm on the right side of it than the left side. I would think it should be centred in the swing arm. Can anyone confirm this. Im including a picture of the spacer that is on the right side acording to the parts fish the spacer is next to the chain puller adjuster and the brake shoe plate cover. I measured the distance from the tire to the swing arm and the chain side is 5/8" and brake tension bar is only 5/16". I have both of the chain puller right on the 3rd mark.
    Any incite spacer.jpg brakestay.jpg spacer.jpg would be appreciated. thanks

20. steber

steber Active Member

Yep, big spacer as pictured on that side, small shim/bushing on the other side.