1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

My 81 xj550 Maxim build

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by cruzin, Jun 8, 2017.

1. cruzin

cruzin Active Member

I do not have a key for the ignition and plan on using a toggle or after market keyed switch. If I use a toggle I would run the red from the battery to one terminal of the toggle and on the out bound side of the toggle attach the brown and blue wire ?
    Have you used this schematic before?

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

battery to main fuse, main fuse to switch input ,switch output is blue to tail and lic plate light, brown wire feeds remaining three fuses.
    yes

3. cruzin

cruzin Active Member

thanks again, looks by your signature you have a small heard of these xj's. Got my coils and spark plug caps today in the mail, wires came yesterday. I have to relocate the coils. I bought some chrome 1" spacers today but where I want to mount them they were too tall so I made some from plastic at 9/16" that will work for where Im going to mount them. I have to add new oil clean the chain and probably shorten it. do a temporary wire up job so I can ride it around and Ill finish it over the winter. I have to make a electronic and battery holder box and I don’t want to rush on that. Thanks again for all your knowledge you have shared.

4. cruzin

cruzin Active Member

Made some progress this weekend, wired it up so it would run without any charging just power to ignition. It ran like crap, hi reving at times my plugs were black on 1 & 2 and wet on 3 & 4 and popping. I thought for sure I was going to have to pull the carbs, more reading led me to adjust the mixture screws on top of the carbs. I ran them down and to the bottom and backed out to 3 no real help so set them at 2 1/2. It was better. This morning I got out my yard stick syncer and adjusted 1 and 2 then 3 and 4 and 2 to 3. ran beautiful. No popping no high idle when you crack the throttle its responsive and idle comes right back down. So happy with the results. Now when I can ride it a bit Ill check plug color. Thanks for all the reading on the site as tuning.

5. XJ550H

hook up the charging system bike will run better 14 volts vs 12 volts or less

Chitwood likes this.
  6. cruzin

cruzin Active Member

Just got my electrical connector s yesterday in the mail.
    I'll be hooking charging system up in the future. I have to make a box to house all the components in but the r/r which I'll mount on the outside of it. I don't have a good motorcycle battery here to put in it and don't want to make the box till I can design it for a battery. Thinking of one of those small ones made by battery tender. I have a made by me electronic box on my xs650 with a shorai but I'd like to try the tender type.

7. cruzin

cruzin Active Member

How do you like the shaft drive models of xj?

8. XJ550H

750 is quite heavy compared to the 550 . when you snap the throttle bike hang on tight.

9. cruzin

cruzin Active Member

Put 1 size larger jets in today. Runs smooth with quick throttle and backs off proper. Plugs were darkening. I may put the previous pilots back in and leave the mains with the 120.
    Question seems I dont have a tach and probably wont get one. Does any one know what type of thread is is that I can get a acorn type nut to thread on where the tach threaded on to the motor. Its the only oil leak I got.

10. XJ550H

xj4ever sells blocking plate kit

cruzin likes this.
  11. cruzin

cruzin Active Member

I made one for my xs650. Think I'll pop it out and see what would be involved

12. cruzin

cruzin Active Member

cant edit and

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  13. cruzin

cruzin Active Member

They dont come out that easy. Dont know if it is just an o ring holding it in there but I dont know if you have to do something under the lifter cover to get it out so Im going to wait.

14. XJ550H

remove the hold down bracket ,just the 2 seals hold it in it just pulls out
    tach gear.JPG
    you may be able to unscrew the adaptor part 5 and find a bolt that size

cruzin likes this.
  15. cruzin

cruzin Active Member

thanks

16. Ribo

Ribo Prefectionist

Austin Texas USA ( a long way from the UK )
    What's the point of a sissy bar if there's nowhere for the sissy to sit? ;)

17. cruzin

cruzin Active Member

rear fender support. and the looks

18. cruzin

cruzin Active Member

I needed a seat and thought I'd try making one myself. I had a shop cut me a seat pan but I chose the wrong thickness. I was looking at the web site of where I bought my last seat and he sells pans all cut and bent with the right foam for 25.00 plus shipping. I ordered one. I had never worked with leather before but wanted to try so I ordered some 8-9 oz leather. Lots on the web as to go about doing it so I read up on it. This is my first attempt at this so it's not the greatest but I like it. Here are some pictures of it.

19. cruzin

cruzin Active Member

tmp_20155-IMG_20171016_2115445521833102700.jpg tmp_20155-IMG_20171019_212037993-1406414988.jpg tmp_20155-IMG_20171019_2120291971646507173.jpg tmp_20155-IMG_20171007_230426510301986183.jpg tmp_20155-IMG_20171025_1820472231141256637.jpg tmp_20155-IMG_20171028_1654125551162816784.jpg

20. cruzin

cruzin Active Member

Tomorrow after it dries Ill be doing the last thing to it. It putting a water proofing liquid on it and it also gives it a shiny finish. It was a lot of work. I got lots of hours in it.