1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

My 82 XJ650 Maxim Complete Rebuild

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by jayrodoh, Jun 19, 2016.

1. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Bobbers are a "trend" that started over 80 years ago with HD just models in the late 1930s. We're they in saggy pants? Nope, racers who wanted to go fast. No need to bash a style simply because you don't understand it. Knock poor craftsmanship or or poorly conceived designs, but attacking people's tastes is more of a personal assault. Some want a photocopy from a factory, others want something of their own style. That is all.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  2. Paul Howells

Paul Howells Active Member

The pants were quite saggy in the 30's. No elastic back then and bulky under garments too.

It is not a personal attack to comment on a general trend.

3. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

In my opinion, that is not commenting, it is an insult. Or else you are a fan of ugly monsters.
    Jayrodoh's bike is neither. Sorry for sidetracking thread.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  4. rocs82650

rocs82650 Well-Known Member

@MattiThundrrr: I think you may have mis-understood Paul's comment. Jay's bike isn't bobbed; it just doesn't have stock bars (same as mine). Everyone has a right to his/her opinion but as you know we get quite irritated (flame on!!) when someone shows up and start bashing a member that we know has spend the time and effort to recommission a solid bike such as Jay has.

Gary H.

5. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Sorry, I was the one who unclear. My comment regarding Jay's bike was an attempt to get the back thread on track. very short on sleep

6. rocs82650

rocs82650 Well-Known Member

Imho you and Paul both are fine. Paul was stating his opinion while you were defending a member in the way that we do here. Cheers.

Gary H.

7. Furman

Furman Member

Beautiful and inspiring job! Really like that shade of green for it, but the time and effort put into reconditioning the switchgears is my favorite part.

Is the seat cover original or does it have a newer one? Looks to be in nice shape.

8. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

Thanks for all the comments!

It is a Saddlemen cover. PO put it on before I bought it.

9. Matthew McGhee

Matthew McGhee New Member

How do I undo the chain to get to the head gasket

10. TheCrazyGnat

TheCrazyGnat Well-Known Member

You should start your own thread. The model you are working on and a little background would be helpful as well.

Stumplifter likes this.
  11. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Unbolt the sprockets from the cams, remove cam retainers, remove cams tie a string cord, or wire, to the chain so you don't lose it down inside and not have a way to retrieve it easily.

12. Shuffledew3

Shuffledew3 New Member

Very nice!

jayrodoh likes this.
  13. jayrodoh

With a FSM of course!!

14. Nastn8

Nastn8 Member

Beautiful machine Jay! And I'm really loving the green. One of these days I'll throw up a pic of my custom moped. At the very least it'll generate some chuckles. Thing goes 60! And the the pedals are still on!! But mainly, its GREEN!!! You have incredible attention to detail, and a little birdie told me this thing isn't a trailer queen either! but...... I couldn't find the m.unit on this one???:cool:

k-moe likes this.
  15. jayrodoh

Not on this one, wanted a stock rebuild. Next project will get one though. Yeah lets see the moped!

16. dowski68

dowski68 Well-Known Member

That is an amazing job on the bike.
    Not sure if I am more jealous of the bike or the amount of room you have to work on it.
    Either way I sure do like the end job.
    Congratulations on A fine Shop

17. Beech

Beech New Member

Very impressive restoration on your beautiful XJ
    I'm a new member, because I am finishing my own project on an 83 XJ 750. I had a 650 that I sold locally to find and purchase the 750 a few years ago.

I would love to know what type of chemicals/cleaners worked the best on your different engine parts. They cleaned up very nice, with a great shine. Also, did you put new headers on, or did you get them to clean up that well. I am trying to decide on trying to clean mine, or using high temp on them.

18. dowski68

Not sure if this post is to me ? Dowski68-
    Yet I will answer as to what I have done to mine xj700X-
    First after I had disassembled the valves and jugs I took them to community college and used their parts washer (heated it was)-
    Once I got back home I used a large tote filled enough to cover the parts with HOT water and sprayed 1/2 to 3/4 of a can of carb spray and let them soak for about 1/2 hour. I put on some rubber gloves and used a old bristle brush to get anything I may have missed using the parts washer.
    I also soaked the pistons- and this helped to loosen up the carbon build up in the ring groves- Did the same thing for the cylinder head-helped to loosen up the carbon-
    After all those pieces were done and dried- I placed everything on my fireplace mantel after everyone went to bed (LOL) and being as I am first up I then took them out to garage.:Blackalien
    then I just taped everything off and utilized a high temp gloss paint THC is the manufacturer. rattle canned it let dry atop mantel 3x's then did the same with THC Clear coat 3x's-
    In between coats I used 2,000 grit paper, wet or dry to remove any runs which I only had two total.
    I just took my time with the prep work- this I have found to be the most important-
    Exhaust- still working on it
    hope this helps

19. jayrodoh

Yup. If you skipped this step there's always time to do it right the second time.

On mine I used Simple Green and a stiff brush on all the engine parts. Light scuff after that followed up with VHT primer and paint. For the polished parts, Aircraft Stripper sprayed on to remove the clear coat followed by a lot of work on the buffer wheels. The headers were replaced with good ones, the original ones were way too rusted out to make shiny again. Lots of elbow grease.

20. dowski68

After all the years this bike has been used there wasn't much original clear coat left. I noticed that when I was using the parts cleaner the paint was coming off in flakes LOL- Good indication to repaint-
    Not sure exactly where I seen a article maybe this site or xj4ever? Actually showed a picture of the original paint from the Yamaha factory. Flat gloss black in polyurethane- actually had the part number visible o_O
    If I see it again I will take down the numbers and pass it along. have good day.