1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

My 82 XJ650 Maxim Complete Rebuild

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by jayrodoh, Jun 19, 2016.

1. dowski68

dowski68 Well-Known Member

So I found the OEM paint picture HCP7906-SP
    Oem color code 98
    Low gloss black/ actually a urethane
    Chacal has the stuff if you find yourself ever indeed.
    Just started to think about doing the front and rear fender-
    I only have one bike so I best be just putting back together so I can flippin ride !

2. Beech

Beech New Member

Thanks for the replies (jayrodoh and dowski68). Even though the bike was running well when I bought it, I went ahead and tore down the carbs and had them cleaned. I agree with the simple green solution also. That stuff just seems to work for everything.

I am going to hit my local Harbor Freight store and get a buffer and some Aircraft Stripper. Obviously, there isn't much clear coat left on many of my parts either, and I would like to try and get some shine like jayrodoh did on his.

I will try and get some pics on here of my project, as soon as I get my tank back from my golf partner, who is doing a vinyl wrap on it. It has been quite the challenge for him and he is a professional, but as we all know an 83 Maxim tank is pretty curvy.

My bike was a fun ride for a couple of years, and then I had the itch to strip it and chop it, which will not make any purists happy, but I am excited to see my final product here shortly, and look forward to sharing it with you all.

3. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

Look for their coupons, I got everything I needed for under $40. Make sure you get all the clear coat off before buffing. I foolishly thought any little bits would buff off, I was wrong :)

4. Gork

Gork Member

What bars are on this bike?

5. REUBEN

REUBEN Member

After seeing this bike, I'm not sure I'll ever feel like mine is up to snuff.

6. jayrodoh

7. Gork

Gork Member

Thanks

Do the new bars clear the tank at full lock?

In the other post "Keep in mind, the turbo MC has the float switch so you will either need to plug the hole or replace the o-ring for the sensor when you rebuild it. ' - did you opt to plug the hole or is the replacement o-ring to leave the sensor in place unused?

8. jayrodoh

Yup, the Euro and Daytona Cruiser bars are completely fine.

I planned on drilling and tapping but ended up just replacing the o-ring in case that MC made it onto another bike in the future.

9. REUBEN

REUBEN Member

10. cruiserlover

cruiserlover Active Member

I have the exact
    s
    ame bike.I have a few questions

11. cruiserlover

I was wondering.You do know miller makes a fullbodied beer, right? Not lite. Second, was that rattle can paint or shopdone by a spray gun automotive grade? How long does it take in clock hours on the polishing. I want to do that. U take a drill with polishing pad and some different colors rouge or what? The bike looks amazing. I figure I might have 2500 in mine when I get through.Where else could i get a new bike with the same power for that? Expense is in the mind of the spender.

12. jayrodoh

Yup! Someone had left a near full 12 pack here so I drank it.
    Automotive done by a shop, paint was PPG but I can't recall the color.
    Probably 8 - 10 hours for all the engine pieces and front fork lowers. I got everything I needed at Harbor Freight for under $40 with a coupon. Once you try a bench buffer you'll never go back to the pads in a drill. The hardest part was removing the clearcoat.
    My goal was to rebuild as new or better. I spent a little less than a new bike but put a lot of hours in. I had a bike I liked and really turned heads/got questions wherever I went.

cruiserlover likes this.
  13. cruiserlover

a new 650,say a kawasaki 650 s costs over $6,000.I figure you spent half that.Correct?

14. jayrodoh

I did track spend for insurance reasons, PM if you are interested in details. I hate publicly posting $$ figures on projects but will share if interested in resto costs. Keep good insurance in mind too if you do go down that path. Mine was totaled last year when some lady decided to make a sudden left without a blinker. Ended up hitting me head on with almost no time to brake. I'm fine after a short recovery period but bike was total loss. PM with questions too, I'm very familiar with that bike ;)

15. cruiserlover

how did you get the faces of the instruments to look clean and brighten up like that.and how did you redo the name yamaha on the rear grab rail.a brush and paint?

16. jayrodoh

Replacement gauges. Finally nabbed a low mile speedo on eBay that was listed wrong and another member provided the tach. I really tried to get the old gauges apart but getting the needles off without damaging anything was difficult and impossible to reattach reliably and calibrate. I was able to adjust the mileage on the "new" gauge to match the original.

Ryengoth likes this.
  17. cruiserlover

thanks for all the information.It helps me a lot.

18. Bluegray57

Bluegray57 Active Member

Enjoyed reading this thread. Kudos on keeping it classic. Hoping that I will be able to make a few refinements on mine to give it a fresher look. The paint and chrome is fine but it definitely needs a little detailing.

19. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

Awesome resto! I'm working towards similar results but perhaps not all at once.