1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

My 85 is back with the best look to date....

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by AlbuquerqueChoppers, Oct 31, 2008.

1. AlbuquerqueChoppers

AlbuquerqueChoppers Member

I finally got a chance to put some primer on the bike. I posted it a long time back with a whole other look, it had candy tangerine drippy paint and huge ape Z bars, also in Blue Primer full length stripes.

I figured I would share some pics.

Im still tweaking here and there and hope to have it sellable for the spring time.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. jamesc2008

jamesc2008 Member

wow very cool bike! that back fender is incredible, must have taken some serious work

3. coachholland

coachholland Member

Dayum!!! 8O

4. ZaGhost

ZaGhost Member

Wow.... looks like something out of a Batman movie....

Well done....

What is the rear section fabbed from?

5. Mad_Bohemian

Mad_Bohemian Active Member

Very
    Very
    Very nice!!!! I love the look. Is the 'seat' as hard as it looks?
    Would love to know the detail. Tank,headlights, how you fabbed the back fender. Excellent job!!! A1

6. AlbuquerqueChoppers

Thanks guys! It did take a lot of work.

The rear section is a Halrey Heritage Softail fender and some roof skin metal left over from a chop top project. I got the fender and turned it down from horizontal about 35%. Then I pounded in a seat pan onto the frame and made the two meet. Then I cut side skins and welded to the pan/fender combo.

The bike was crude at first, but it was my first shot at making this stuff. I played around with other materials and metal, but this was my first full scale bike job. It is Still Not done, but close.

BTW The front fender is off the same bike mentioned above but it was skinnied about 1.75" to fit in my forks and over my skinny tire.

Im going to make a webpage to show people how to throw down what I did. Frame is all stock, just chopped off lil ears and tabs that did not effect the structural ingrety, yet things that killed the frames sweet lines.Im all about SAFE chopping!

7. AlbuquerqueChoppers

Tank is Stock, only part I did not shred on persay.

If you eat at the buffet like I do, the seat is not too bad. :lol: I do plan to put a neoprene stick on padding, just to take the edge off. Half of the fun is how low you actually sit, so I didnt want to kill it with a "mattress". :lol:

Headlights are a just a pair of $30 driving lamps, but I lined them up and I was lighting the treetop with them centered. So I got some engine paint (anticipating the heat) and I was able to control the light beam to a safe height. I went led on the plate and removed all other incandecent lighting so I could power those beams.

8. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Very, Very Kool.

9. dqnjuan

dqnjuan Member

wow thats awesome! def a style on its own, one of the most extreme xj's ive seem.

10. gunnabuild1

gunnabuild1 Member

The hardest bit with so called 'custom bikes' is getting something that is original and you have certainly done that.
    Nice! mate you got yourself some impressive skills and just as important a good eye.
    A chopper you can actually Ride,Steer and Stop who woulda thought.

11. spinalator

spinalator Member

Very nice work.

12. Ease

Ease Member

Now that's impressive!
    Great job!

13. AlbuquerqueChoppers

Right on, glad you guys dig my results.

I didnt plan too much, other than, let me do this and let me try that.

It feels so safe to ride and that was the rule barrier I had. If the mod effects the safety....its Out!

(front pic was dead on my server, so I replaced it)
    [​IMG]

14. schooter

schooter Active Member

Where did you get that exhaust from?

And really nice bike!!! i set it as my backround

15. wizard

wizard Active Member

Hi A...C... your bike really wierds me out, I know I shouldn't like it, but I do. Very well done. Wiz.

16. XJ700VET

XJ700VET Member

Well done!! You got some orignal lines there, and I'm sure its a real head turner. I'm planning some light mods to my 700 but, nothing like what you've got there. I just don't have the skills.

17. Madone1

Madone1 Member

One of the best I have ever seen. I am usually all about keeping bikes stock, but what you have done totally blows me away. SWEET!

18. Gerrypw

Gerrypw Member

Awesome design! How did you ever come up with that?

I am one for keeping it stock but I think I have been converted.

19. AlbuquerqueChoppers

You guys are great. I appreciate the kind words! Im use to people on expensive harleys just giving me bad looks because they cant understand how my bike can have appeal. Its a "ricer", its "jap", all this crap. Its nice to see how people can appreciate without having contempt.

Exhaust is off a heritage harley as well. (those guys are so busy swapping parts you can pick up leftovers like I did for low,low prices)

xjVET ,or anyone else for that matter, If you want any tips or any pointers on how to do anything I would be glad to help. I taught myself what I know, so I can really give real world advice. Im still learning as well, we all have skill , just some of us had more practice to let it flow.

Gerry, I kinda just flowed the style out. I didnt have a theme or a snazzy amount of money to play with. Im just a 31 yd old soccer dad with a family and a Very part-time hobby. Im an anti OCC guy, when a bike costs more than I make in almost 2 years.... :roll: WHATEVER!

I will take some pics of it at night to show you guys how a Wal-Mart LED light setup spices it up at night. I dont have much chrome, but I have always liked LED's on bike drivetrains at night :oops: :lol:

Questions for you guys?

What price would you consider a "steal" for this bike?

Also what price would be "just" too much?

It has 10k original miles, runs solid and has Zero rust. Im intrested in your opinion, not so I can make money but so I can have a different point of view. I do plan on selling in spring and I appreciate your opinions.

20. brandt025

brandt025 Member

what did tou do with the gauges? how did you get rid of all the wires / know what ones you actualy need?