1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

My own barn find

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by Polock, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i put my BMW 100RS in "short term storage" in fall '15. that means i parked it in my three sided shed.
    summer '16 i got it out, fresh gas, battery tender for a day and it started, so far so good. put it back in shed.
    last week i put the tender on, went out today, pushed the button and it cranked but no go but it sounded like it might want to. wait a minute, analyze the flat front tire, dirt all over it, rusty rear rotor and oil level. crank again and there's life in it :)
    a few stalls and a few more starts and it runs. not real well but it started and idles.
    with gas at least a year old and a AGM battery charged twice in two years.
    so, AGM batteries are hard to kill, F.I. is a miracle, old gas ain't so bad.

2. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

I think those statements are related. If it had been carbureted, you'd be on your knees in church. Fuel injection is for atheists, and they get to ride on Sunday morning!

Plug and joe elliff like this.
  3. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Just found this and I know this is a older post, but the two of us having that same bike to talk about. So just watch out for the FI system, because once that rubber in that tank goes from that vibration dapperer and the fuel screen it is a whole different story! That is a lot time and some good $$ unless you get the 5.0 Mustang fuel pump and make it fit, that is what I did.

As for the injectors, unless you run them a while and then get some good FI cleaner in there to get that gum out of them, they will fail. Mine were locked good and took hrs in my heated sonic cleaner to free up again...but still much better then having to take them to Church.

I know the weather sucks, but I got mine down the road for a few miles yesterday...take her out of a small spin when you can.

4. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

If it is basically running, I've had success with Seafoam and especially Mercury Quikleen to smooth things in a tank of fresh gas or two. At least this has worked with carbs, not sure about FI.

As Matti suggested, no gas additive will clear a plugged fuel passage!