1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

My XJ story, since it may help another noobie

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by ColoradoDan, Sep 9, 2011.

1. ColoradoDan

ColoradoDan Active Member

Though I would post my XJ story, since it may help another noobie. It's kind of a success story from the help of this site.

Back story first, I grew up on trail bikes, with a father that rode, and some uncles, too. Once I left home and either couch surfed or lived briefly in various states and rentals, I only watched bikers cruise by from the bus, or driver side window of my $100 beaters.

I always said I would get into riding once I had a garage to store it, and a little stability. Finally at 40 my wife and I got a house, with a s***load of garage space. I took a course in april, got my license, looked for a low cost japanese street bike, found an old guy trying to unload a 650 maxim with 26k miles, read about the maxim, and bought it for all the reasons everyone here did.

So the Front story, first of May I drive my new-to-me 82 XJ 650 to Rolf's in Louisville, CO and have him throw on a new front tire that came with the sale. After a good look at it, he suggested front fork overhaul and brake pads in the process. So I start with new tires, new brakes, front and back, and new fork oil and seals. Rode it home in at least okay condition, and started web research to figger out the glitches.

It was a matter of minutes to find xjbikes.com, be convinced to join and start looking for advice. First I looked for basic maintenance info, but then started to diagnose problems that would have put this bike in the grave still in the hands of the old guy.

Here's what I did (all with the help of the forum posts the whole way):

• Since the PO had left it on prime for ages (I knew that was bad news from way back), and there was a strong gas smell on my pants (gasoline that is :p ) after the first few rides, I looked into that issue
    • I learned how to check the oil, and all I could see in the little window was black
    • Looked like the smell was gas in the oil (from being left on prime), and in the air box
    • I bought new oil (Rotella T) and a filter, got a new air filter, cleaned the filter box (nasty)
    • I had to buy a bolt extractor kit from sears for $20 to get the oil filter cover loose. That worked excellent.
    • I removed the tank and drained all the old gas, used it in my lawn mower, and made sure there were no leaks in the petcock
    • I rode about 200 miles, then another oil change. No gas, and air filter was clean and dry. Success!
    • Checked final drive oil and battery/fuses - all looked good
    • New plugs
    • Replaced wasted rubbers on the foot pegs (figgered this on my own that you can pull just the rubber off a rusty junkyard peg with a good soak in hot water and a skinny flat head screwdriver and not break the catches inside)
    • Bought an EXL Motorcycle Jacket from motodirect.com (one size up works great)
    • Bought and installed the Sylvania H6024XV XtraVision 65-Watt headlight from Amazon
    • Also bought from Amazon and installed: Slipstreamer Spitfire windshield and Motogear saddlebags
    • Rode it to work every fricken day, a few joy rides, and any errand I could get away with
    • And to top off the first summer with the XJ, rode it 180 miles to Glenwood springs to meet a buddy with a new VStrom
    • We toted around the valley some then did the run up to Independence Pass and back while there - gotta be lucky to have that in my backyard
    • Rode back home for total 530 miles, the XJ no worse for the wear.

Gotta say I'm s***eatin-grin happy about my $950 bike purchase now. And the cage I drive is a 15 mpg 4Runner, so after the 2400 miles I burned up on the bike this summer I may have earned nearly half the $950 back now. (I average 51 mpg on the XJ)

Next up is end of summer oil change, some used rear shocks I picked up from swayne76, and hope for lots of nice days till snow starts falling. After that, a serious dismantle for a good winter tune-up.

Thanks to everyone else's blood, sweat and tears that got me this far.

2. inet101

inet101 Member

A fine tale there Dan..... :D

Had me smiling all the way tru.......Vintage bikes are always a bit of a crap shoot, ya never really know what ya bought till ya give it a go.

Yer right about the forum, most everything is available to get one sorted if one makes the effort.......and you did your part.

Congrats on yer first summer........The next one is something to look forward too while ya sort things tru the winter waiting for that first clear day to roll it back out.

3. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Good start; however:

Gas in the oil is not solely caused by the petcock being left on "PRI." If there is/was gas in the oil, you've got a carb float valve issue.

One of the most neglected bits of maintenance on the XJ series bikes is valve adjustment. Check your valve clearances asap before you end up burning a valve and bringing a halt to the fun.

4. ColoradoDan

ColoradoDan Active Member

That's how I feel every yard, mile, and km I ride.

Don't worry, I have been to the church of XJ and I have seen the light. And ordered some feelers today.