1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

My XJ550 Maxim Project

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by The*newguy, Oct 9, 2017.

1. The*newguy

The*newguy Member

So I acquired a 1982 xj550 that needed some work from a friend of mine. After several months of research reading different forums and waiting to have some time I am finally starting to work on the bike. As the name suggests I'm new at this and this is the first bike I have owned, but I am looking forward to getting it fixed and riding. Any technical advice or suggestions will be most helpful. As I go through this project I will be posting updates and hopefully someone will find this to be helpful.

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

3. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

^That should keep you busy until spring...

4. XJ550H

5. The*newguy

The*newguy Member

So this is the condition the bike was in when I got it to my garage. Besides what you see I had the speedometer and a different ignition switch that has a key (original did not have one)
    IMG_20170623_222408353.jpg

So first thing first I took stock of what I had and made up a basic list of things that I needed such as maybe an air box if I could find one in decent shape. and the things needed to run the bike like electrical switches and new lights. And the biggest thing... A gas tank.

So after ordering some of the parts and finding a gas tank, I finally got some time to work on it. I got the gas tank on there and figured I would see how it looked.
    IMG_20170930_211601671.jpg

So gas tank looks good just need to get it open due to not having a key. Still deciding what to do on that one.

Alright so the next thing I wanted to get done was figure out how to mount this speedometer. After some thought drilled and cut a piece of sheet metal to fit what was needed for a mount. Ill need to get some stiffer metal later on but this works for the moment, and I have a template to use for later.
    thumbnail 2.jpg

Now for the hard part. Wiring the switches in. So after digging around and finding a solid wiring diagram. (I'll post the link up to it later, can't find where I originally found it or I would give credit to the guy that made it) I started figuring out most of the nightmare that this wiring will be.
    IMG_20171007_170700764.jpg

And that's where I ended. I'll be able to work on it more this weekend so hopefully will have some more progress then.

XJ550H
    I was told when I got the bike that it was used the summer before and then parked and started to be used for a bobber project that ended up not being completed due to lack of interest. Also thank you for the info it'll give me something to read during the week when I can't work on it.

6. XJ550H

lock picking will open the tank .

I like the headlight

7. The*newguy

The*newguy Member

I believe the headlight is stock. not sure if it works yet or not.

8. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

It isn't.

9. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

XJ550H likes this.
  10. XJ550H

you are going to have to add a ground wire for the starter button because your handle bars are painted.

11. The*newguy

The*newguy Member

Alright so got time to work on the bike more today. Got more of the electrical stuff sorted out and got my rear turn signals mounted up, my hand switches mounted up where I want them. And sorted out most of the front. Here's the pictures of the progress.
    IMG_20171014_181237458.jpg

IMG_20171014_181150259.jpg

IMG_20171014_181046944.jpg

And kind of taking a look at mounting up the tail light so I can mock up the wiring for later on.

IMG_20171014_181111271.jpg

12. The*newguy

The*newguy Member

Alright so weekly update. I did not get a chance to work on the bike this weekend.
    However the links that were posted above by XJ550H were a goldmine of information. So thank you for posting those, I am almost done reading through all of it.
    Lesson one learned: CARBS MUST BE CLEANED.
    Lesson two: BRAKES ARE NOT OPPTIONAL
    Lesson three: RECLEAN THE CARBS, because I'll probably miss something
    Lesson four: enjoy the electrical stuff
    Lesson five: RECHECK THE BRAKES just for good measure

on top of that, I talked more with the person I got the bike from and it turns out the bike hasn't run in about 6 years, it was a year since he got it. so that brings a new set of challenges.

So got a new list of things to do:
    - finish electrical
    - clean carbs
    - rebuild the front master cylinder
    - tear apart the rear brakes
    - tear down the engine
    - rebuild engine with new gaskets
    - replace and reassemble rear brakes
    - re-clean carbs
    - figure out pod filters or find parts bike with air box
    - go through maintenance list in manual
    - attempt start

So that's where its at and that's the direction I'm headed in.

any thoughts or suggestions/comments would be appreciated.

13. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

No need to tear down the engine unless it's seized or low on compression. I would pour a few ccs of soem suitable lubricant down teh bores leave a few hours and then spin it over (unless already done) and then test compression. Report back here if unsure of results.

14. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

My Seca had not been started in about 4 years. I poured about a tablespoon of oil into each of the spark plug holes and let it sit. Then I turned it over manually with a wrench to make sure nothing was stuck.

15. The*newguy

The*newguy Member

Alright so I haven't been in here in a couple weeks because life has been crazy for a bit. Hopefully it'll settle down here soon and I'll get a good few hours to work on the bike. So I have not done any work on it last weekend and I don't know if I'll get time again this weekend.

However I did go to a u-pull it place looking for some parts for a friend's car and found a kick shifter that will for my bike. As well as that they had what I believe to be a xj650 or 750 that still has some good stuff on it. That place was down in hazleton Pennsylvania

So that's the update I'll update again on monday.

16. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

If you provide pictures of the xj carcass, someone will be able to identify it. The geniuses here can tell from the littlest bit... That washer? That's a 550 Maxim! That sparkplug? Only on a 700! I might be exaggerating a little, but you'd be amazed.

17. The*newguy

The*newguy Member

If I get up there again I'll definitely take a photo of it and put it up

18. The*newguy

The*newguy Member

Alright so another weekend of no work. time sucked dry with things always coming up. However I do have a few questions.
    after doing a few hours worth of research I have read multiple threads on converting over to LED lights. now everything that I'm reading it sounds like they have to add something to the cancelling unit in order for the LEDs to work. is there a way to get around this if I'm not using almost any of the stock electrical system?
    Also is there a newer self-cancelling unit and turn signal relay that would do this all in one that you guys know about?

Also this is not on the original topic but a question just the same. How do you solve this conversation? "why are you suicidal?" 'I'm not suicidal.' "Yes you are, you want to ride a motorcycle..."
    do you guys have any ideas on what to say or on how to change this pattern of thinking?

19. The*newguy

The*newguy Member

20. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

That will work, but you should disconnect the G/Y wire that connects to the auto cancel, or remove the auto cancel unit to protect it. It could likely tolerate being tied to ground, but no need risking it. Len also sells an adapter cable that can be used for a more permanent / reliable connection at the ground pin.

I also have a work in progress (testing phase) of the CF13 flasher so that it is plug and play (excepting added ground) and works with the auto cancel unit. So far so good, but I don't ride much and need to give it some more time, and perhaps try it with another cancelling unit. Being a purist at heart I don't want to cut wires to add the extra relay to keep the auto cancel function. I also really like the auto cancel function and consider it a quality added safety feature.

Just for some added info here is a comparison of the 1156-A18-T LED (Amber) vs the incandescent 1156 bulb.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017