1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Need some advice!

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by MD_just, Dec 5, 2017.

1. MD_just

MD_just New Member

Hello all!

Happy to find the group. I picked up an 82 XJ 750 this summer, and need a bit of "motivation" (or.. just advice) about what to do with it. It's my first bike, and I'm by no means an expert mechanic (not completely clueless, though). Major modifications were done by previous owners and the usual "wear and tear" is evident, but the bike runs is is a blast to ride. I've attached some photos to the post, as well.

I'm really looking for a starting point - If I want to restore the bike, what are some good first steps?

Any comments help... thank you!

upload_2017-12-5_22-54-34.png
    upload_2017-12-5_22-55-5.png

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Start by reading the links in my signature.
    While you're doing homework, look on Ebay for an airbox so she can breathe correctly again.

The brake lines look to be original. Park her until that's been corrected. They were supposed to be replaced 30 years ago (they have a 4 year service life).

Jetfixer and Stumplifter like this.
  3. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

Advice:
    Don't slouch, look people in the eye when you speak to them and give respect before you can expect to receive any.

Do what Kmoe said.... read - read all of that. It may not all make sense but going through it will shed light on what path you are heading down.

Take a MSF course!

Come back and ask questions.

hogfiddles and Jetfixer like this.
  4. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

In addition to the air box, I would suggest a proper exhaust system, as I assume you plan on riding around people. Neighbors are fond of mufflers.

Stumplifter, k-moe and Jetfixer like this.
  5. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

MD, welcome!!!!

These bikes run great in the factory configuration, that is why the guys above are trying to get you to go back to stock. When people start to play with the air and exhaust, you can just multiply the time it will take to ever get her running right if you ever do.

Once you have read all the links mentioned above, the carbs will need to be looked at first as a starting point. Really to though them, not just the quick hit with some spray and think they are done. These older bikes really need the TLC with the carbs to make sure they start correctly and hold a good idle. Checking all the wires and the connections for brakes, corrosion and rust.

Keep us posted with your work and what questions you might have, keep the pics coming , we love the pics.

6. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Welcome ..One other item is to check valve clearance ... this is adjusted by changing shims it is on xj4evers overload hour and there are several threads on site . This HAS to be done at the same time as synching carbs , if you do one but not the other you can end up with a rough running engine. The other item is if you do a compression check and it is low on compression and your valve clearance is "tight" changing shims correcting clearance might bring compression back to acceptable levels. Since you have PODS :mad: you will be in for a real treat IE flat spots , spitting back , popping of the exhaust , poor fuel mileage .... I've been working on bike 30 years seen ALL of this first hand doing work on bikes with pods for friends .

hogfiddles likes this.