1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

New Build XJ550 Seca

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by patmac6075, Mar 27, 2016.

1. patmac6075

patmac6075 Active Member

Hey all....it's been a while since I've posted, and since I've sold off my Seca and in the process of selling off my Maxim I've spent most of my time getting my XVZ12 Venture recommissioned.

Well, a couple of weeks ago I was approached by an other member asking if I could help him get his XJ550 Seca back on the road....what could I say?
    So he dropped it off yesterday...what a cool bike! The bike looks bone stock, and from what he tells me it has sat for the last 4 years. He's already ordered a carb rebuild kit from Len, and starting Monday....I'm going to jump in. JOB #1....get it started! So I'm going to run out now and pick up some oil, a filter, and some plugs and hopefully get this Ol girl cranking.....So far plugs are out and I've sprayed cylinders with Seafoam's Deep Creep. I'll get to the valves once I see she can fire and I'll also try to get some compression numbers for a baseline.
    Glad to be back! And stay tuned.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Al2023, waldreps, rocs82650 and 2 others like this.
  2. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

Patmac!
    Good to see you back. Nice project.
    I've moved out of the area, will be selling our Milwaukee home this spring.
    That Venture, that was the one at Milwaukee Cycle Salvage? That is a cool looking bike and will be really nice for cruising on.

I shouldn't ask, but what Maxim are you 'in the process' of getting rid of and how far in the process are you?

3. patmac6075

patmac6075 Active Member

Hi Paul, where is Irma?
    My Venture was not from Milwaukee Salvage, although I'm there once a month picking through their Venture scraps...

The Maxim I'm selling is the '82 XJ750 that got me started here....I'm working with another member on the sale (at least it'll go to a good home), if all works as planned he'll make a trip to WI and pick the bike up in mid/late summer.

I've missed the site, but since I haven't had much to contribute, I've just been lurker every couple of months. So, glad to be back, although I wish Big Fitz were still around.....I'd sure like to pick his brain about this 550 Seca's....right now I'm having trouble just getting the seat to open.....key works (at least to open the helmet lock), just can't get the seat to unlatch.

4. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

Irma is south of Tomahawk, we are near the top of Irma Hill, which depending on your resources, it is the 3rd highest point in the state. Or if you have been reading the news, a couple miles north of Lincoln Hills School.

Northern Wisconsin beauty all around, lots of nature and close enough to highway 51 that civilization is near. 33 acres that were pasture for 40 years and we are converting into a market farm/ CSA/ homestead.

Don't loose heart with BigFitz not here, there are some really, seriously smart 550 guys who have stepped up to the plate. You will be fine!

Glad you are working on a deal - I was worried about how I would explain another XJ to my accountant. . . :eek:

5. Joris

Joris Member

To open the seat, carefully turn the key in the opposite direction to unlock. Then there is a little latch near the left rear suspension to actually open the seat. Seat hinges on righthand side.

6. ecologito

ecologito Well-Known Member

Nice bike, I have a 550 and 60 both secas that just can't quite find enough time to fix. Like we all say, one day.

I can't wait to see what you do with the 550. The one I have should not be too far off the road but again, there is always the long "to do" before calling it a safe ride.

7. Chance

Chance Member

Nice lookin bike, should be a fun project.

8. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

81 nice I wish they kept the front fender chrome on 82 and 83