1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

New Member Post: 83 XJ750 Maxim

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by XJ750DB, Nov 28, 2017.

1. XJ750DB

XJ750DB Member

Hello my name is Dylan and I am new to this forum and motorcycles in general. I live in a suburb near Chicago.

I recently purchased a 1983 XJ750 Maxim as a project bike for the winter. It was running when I bought it but has been seriously negleted.
    I plan on rebuilding the bike to make it safe to ride and turn it into a cafe/tracker/bobber.

So far I have determined I need to:

Rebuild carbs
    Rebuild front forks
    Service front/rear brakes
    Change the engine oil/trans oil/shaft oil
    Change air filter
    Replace spark plugs
    Replace fuse panel
    Repair/replace gas tank (small leak)

I am sure I will have some questions throughout the process of this build so I figured I should introduce myself. I am excited to be a part of this community.

Here are some pictures:
    00S0S_mngIBObhHF_1200x900.jpg Here is the bike the day I picked it up
    IMG_20171126_190958_01.jpg And here I am with the fairings off
    20171126_144251.jpg
    Here is how it sits now

Attached Files:

2. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

Hi Dylan, welcome to the group. Add checking valve clearances to your list.

3. XJ750DB

XJ750DB Member

Thanks Stump,

I did see that mentioned when I was reading through the "Church of Clean" post on this forum.

4. wgul

wgul Active Member

Hey Dylan welcome. I'm sure someone will mention soon to add new brake lines to the list ;) ! This is a great group of xjers

5. XJ750DB

XJ750DB Member

I was thinking of doing braided and maybe a new master cylinder when I do the front brakes. Thanks!

6. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

you can line the tank it would cost the same as having it silver soldered or welded and will not fail in another spot.
    you can rebuild the MC it is a quick and easy job, same as rebuilding the calipers. bleedin the system can be a frustrating job ,there are a few threads on how to do the dual disc setup.

you can sell the faring and luggage boxes to finance your project put the round headlight back on

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  7. XJ750DB

XJ750DB Member

I may end up replacing the tank for a seca tank and the MC for the "look" I want. For the calipers do I need new dust seals or is there more required?

I have the fairing on craigslist now and I am planing on putting them up on here soon. Thank you for the advice!

8. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

9. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Don't forget to check the rear brake shoes. They are known to come apart with catastrophic results. Oops! The rear brake was already on the list!
    Tires are stamped with an manufacturing date, if they're older than 6 years, replace!

10. XJ750DB

XJ750DB Member

I am going to try to take off the rear end tonight and see what shape the rear drum is in. I have a feeling it is toasted. I will put some pictures up and check the tires.

Thanks!

11. XJ750DB

XJ750DB Member

The rear wheel came off surprisingly easily and looks to be in good shape. I plan on cleaning it all up and replacing the shoes and greasing the spline. The brake pedal was not returning when it was pressed will replacing the shoes fix this? What all should I replace now that I have it apart?

I also checked the tire date code (0912) and it looks like I will need some new rubber soon.

20171129_184116.jpg 20171129_184307.jpg 20171129_184300.jpg 20171129_184126.jpg 20171129_184156.jpg 20171129_191446.jpg

12. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

I experienced the same issue with the pedal return. What I did was remove, clean, and grease the shaft that spreads the shoes, also where the small brake arm connects. I took it one step further with the removal, cleaning, and greasing the brake pedal shaft as well because mine was in dire need of it. After doing this, replacing the shoes, and cleaning everything up good the rear brakes work flawlessly

13. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

One other thing as far as the tires go, unless they look really good, no cracks, plenty of tread, etc, I'd replace them before you put it on the road. Not necessarily before you get all repairs, adjustments, etc done, but they are the only thing between you and the road. Peace of mind in my opinion

14. Door dude

Door dude Active Member Premium Member

I would suggest taking pictures of everything so you see what it looks like old, and then new and then you have a reference to how to put it back together and a factory manual is #1 for that.

15. Retromoto

Retromoto Member

Brake pedal return - Mine was getting hung up on the muffler bracket. Simple bending solved the problem. I decided to keep my fairing but cut the windscreen down. Bar end mirrors attached to the body of the fairing. Rear fender and seat pan shortened 5" and 4", respectively. The original seat foam was cut down and re-upholstered. This bike sat in a shed for 12 years and the engine was locked up. Should have bought Naval Jelly by the quart and not the 8 oz. bottle!
    20170801_192626.jpg

16. XJ750DB

XJ750DB Member

Thank you for the advice, I will do that when the new shoes come in. As for the tires I plan I ordering a set before I ride.

I do have the factory manual and haynes manual. I can take after pictures also.

That's a nice looking bike! I will take a look at the return when I get it reassembled.
    Is that exhaust stock?

17. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

No, definitely not a stock exhaust

18. Retromoto

Retromoto Member

Not the stock exhaust. It is a 4-into-1. No stamps or markings on it but it doesn't look like a MAC. Don't know what it is.

19. XJ750DB

XJ750DB Member

Does that require different sized jets in the carbs?

20. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

It would DEFINITELY require carbs...

Retromoto likes this.