1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

New "Pool" Idea

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by k-moe, Feb 4, 2016.

?

Should we start an airbox pool for members who insist on switching to pods?

1. Yes, an exchange pool.

9 vote(s)
    31.0%
  2. Yes, a nominal fee pool.

10 vote(s)
    34.5%
  3. No. People should research and plan accordingly, or suffer with the consequences.

10 vote(s)
    34.5%
  1. Ribo

Ribo Prefectionist

Austin Texas USA ( a long way from the UK )
    tank emblems should be simple - side covers may not be - most 3D printers are limited in the size of the object they can print - the <$450 printers max out at about 10 x 6 x 6 inches. If you want bigger you're in the $3000+ bracket or even more.

A lot of colleges and local "maker" spaces run classes and provide communal resources though. I keep trying to find time to get more into it at http://www.nova-labs.org/

2. BaldWonder

BaldWonder Innocent Bystander

I believe you could reproduce covers and emblems. I've been tempted to start a whole business based on this, potential legal battles aside. If you can make it in Autodesk 123D, then you can print it. Also, 123D is tied into print-and-ship services - meaning you don't necessarily need to own or have access to a printer. The most common filament type is ABS plastic, which is what the original covers are made from.

That said, having a cover to scan/recreate a model from would help, but it would also defeat the purpose of needing to make one.

3. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

I'd love to print some new Yamaha tank emblems. Mine are getting painted and NOS are not worth the price just to paint over. I still have the ones from you BW, they're not bad but still need repaired.

4. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

The printers I've seen dont make a nice smooth surface.... It looks like rope or string piled in the shape of what you are trying to make.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  5. rocs82650

rocs82650 Well-Known Member

Hmmm....a airbox pool. We'd have to offer them something of value to get them to not destroy the airboxes. If we could get the members to mail the re-usable airboxes to someone like Chacal their account could be credited for the cost of shipping (If Chacal is cool with it). Then if they wanted one back they could pay a nominal fee (like a e-bay average) for a good used one from him. Hopefully that would slow the progression of the unobtainable airboxes in the future.

Gary H.

6. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

that is where the offer to trade pods for airbox comes in. but the attitude is I can do it so chop the thing out.
    it does appear to be possible to run pods it is just how well you run on pods

7. Ribo

Ribo Prefectionist

The main 3D printing technique used today is to lay down layers to build a shape - there are a few different actual technical ways to do this - Stereolithography or Digital Light Processing are the most common but they essentially make things in the same end result construction method.

There's a standard correlation to the cost of the machine vs how thin it can lay down layers and thus how smooth the final product is.

However there are various techniques for finishing such as bead blasting / vapor smoothing or even just plain old sanding that can smooth anything out.

Alternatively a fairly new method of 3D printing which is destined to become the norm because it's just faster, cooler and more adaptive ( think dot-matrix vs laser ) is Continuous Liquid Interface Production technology

http://3dprint.com/51566/carbon3d-clip-3d-printing/

8. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Making the emblems sounds great. Now.....who's got a vacuum-plating machine for making the emblems all shiny?

Jetfixer likes this.
  9. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

The legal battles might end up costing you more than latest/greatest 3D printing technology machines..........

Jetfixer likes this.
  10. hogfiddles

Gee, isn't that what k-moe and jayrodoh already suggested? Lol

Maybe it should be reworded to say, " it does appear possible to run on pods; it is how least poorly you run on pods"

k-moe likes this.
  11. BaldWonder

BaldWonder Innocent Bystander

Notice I haven't started a business around it. ;)

12. XJ550H

that would be better truth in advertising. would not want any one to think it would run "well"

13. rocs82650

Yes and I probably should shut up on this cause I have zero experience with pods but I did some more reading and as I understand it the cheap pods aren't gonna work. I'm thinking to stock up on K&Ns to trade for the boxes would get pricey.

Gary H.

14. hogfiddles

...and I don't believe the expensive pods don't work incredibly that much better......

15. Ribo

Ribo Prefectionist

From what I understand the issue is because the airbox provides a kind of staging post for air to be delivered evenly to each carb. The design ensures that each carb draws air from the same controlled environment - using pods creates differences in airflow as each pod is drawing directly from the world - as each carb is situated in a different place on the bike they are subject to differences in not just potential airflow but also potential temperature. Do I have this correct?

Now there's no getting away from the fact that the airbox on these bikes is fugly. That's why people want to go to pods along with loosing the weight and reducing the profile etc.

I think someone here or maybe over at www.dotheton.com made their own airbox that had a single K&N car filter attached recently and it was bad ass. I'm wondering if you could probably mold/print/fab one that is a lot slimmer profile and more aesthetic with holes on the both sides - one side for pods and one for the boots to the carbs. obviously you don't want this to be just a direct empty box so we'd have to experiment with different angled blades insides to mix the air.

16. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The airbox is there to manage and balance the intake pulses to help increase airflow on each intake stroke (see Buell and other related intake air management engineers). A good airbox design improves fuel delivery. A bad airbox design hampers fuel delivery. Pods are not airboxes.

17. hogfiddles

Personally, I don't think the inbox is ugly......it'sonly visible portion is about two inches thick, and that's covered with a chrome trim 9excxept the 750 which has a black trim.

For myself, I see no reason, whatsoever, to remove the airbox.

18. rocs82650

And because there is no known pods configuration that would equal the airbox...
    Gary H.

19. XJ550H

it is removed because someone told them not to remove it, and/or some pod owner wanted to share his misery by telling them XJ's work fine with out the airbox. misery loves company.
    sad part is you could probably put the pods on with out removing the air box and save sometime when you dump the pods.
    Hmm.... you could probably put a pod over the airbox boots just to get that pod look with out the head ache
    love this title
    https://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/comments/31wmbv/i_have_made_a_mistake_pod_filters/

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  20. quebecois59

quebecois59 Well-Known Member

I think nobody would object to a new thinner airbox design (with the stock airbox as a base) that would make the carbs easier to pull out and put back in, AND make the bike run great at the same time.

I consider buying an airbox for my own experiments.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
    Jaymo likes this.