1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

New "Pool" Idea

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by k-moe, Feb 4, 2016.

?

Should we start an airbox pool for members who insist on switching to pods?

1. Yes, an exchange pool.

9 vote(s)
    31.0%
  2. Yes, a nominal fee pool.

10 vote(s)
    34.5%
  3. No. People should research and plan accordingly, or suffer with the consequences.

10 vote(s)
    34.5%
  1. Wagy

Wagy Active Member

hey matti, got some pics of my custom air-box / pod combo, going to post them in tech chat, 1st thread i find with pods in the title ............. After being covinced that pods were going to be a big PIMA, i had already bought (from China) 4 color matching 45% pods and was in love with the way they were going to look. And looks was all i was after, so i modified my air box with 2 1 1/2 " PVC adapters on each side. used ones with a 3/4" theaded bushing inside that could in theory be removed to try more air but still goes thru the air box. I sealed the adapter into perfectly round, tight holes so with the threaded plug in, it is as if they are only there for show and the 45% point down and back to keep clear of leg room or passenger. I'll send pics soon. Heading to the garage right now for more XJ theraphy !

Attached Files:

2. MiGhost

MiGhost Well-Known Member

Lower 48 in general. Otherwise Central Mitten.
    Interesting.
    What is the surface area, and airflow compared to the stock filter?
    Are these replacing the stock air filter of purely a decorative element?

~Ghost

3. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Ahhh. My head was completely backwards on this one! Thanx

4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Hmmm... that's a diffrent way to go in terms of orientation. I'm still concerned about the effect of the filters being out in the air. Turbulence may induce slide flutter.

5. TheCrazyGnat

TheCrazyGnat Well-Known Member

Where do you put your legs? They are right about where I have mine in a natural position.

Edit: sorry,I see above you said that they are positioned well enough to be out of the way.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
  6. Wagy

Wagy Active Member

Sorry guys, been sick a couple of days. if i get slide flutter from excess air on my pod combo, i can totally close them off with the 3/4" bushing plug for each adapter, then the pods are "for show only" Not accually recomending anyone cut holes into thier stock air box, just something i wanted to have the looks of pods and keep stock air flow and maybe increase air flow if carbs can handle it to offset the air displacementof the replacement shorty exhaust pipes.

Attached Files:

7. Wagy

Wagy Active Member

hit same button twice

8. k-moe

Here may be an elegant and inexpensive solution for people who really need to run pods, but still want to ride a machine that's performing well, and do that without a lot of futzing around.

Steber's 81 XJ550 Bobber

9. dowski68

dowski68 Well-Known Member

Not sure what the big deal is about POD FILTERS- I put a set on from K&N and changed the air flow jets in the carb per K&N specs. and have had no problems other than a decrease in mpg. with in increase of hold the freak on :).
    also had the carbs cleaned and adjusted at a shop shortly after changing over to pods.
    What is really the problem with PODS?
    Do they increase the possible damage to valves ?
    other parts of the engine?

Now that would be a good discussions

10. k-moe

You didn't read the whole thread, did you?

11. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

For optimal performance in a variety of conditions CV carbs (especially a bank of 4 of them!) desire a stable, evenly distributed air intake. Airbox = one source of air for 4 carbs.
    Consider yourself one of the few and proud - only a handful of regular members have converted to pods with desirable results. Often times new-comers' login and bemoan performance issues (bogging/ no top end, etc) and then it is revealed that they took a hack saw to their airbox and put pods on and now are going to put their bike on Craigslist because it doesn't run well.

One of the guys here did a really fine job of explaining his analytical approach to it and I believe his results were very satisfactory.
    It takes persistence and patience to modify a system to a pod intakes when the design from 30+ years ago still performs well in a stock condition.

rocs82650 likes this.
  12. dowski68

OK OK I bow to your infinite knowledge, I just went back and read the entire thread and articles related to air boxes and such. I sure am glad that I kept everything for the stock air box and I actually have a new filter from K&N.
    When I mentioned earlier that I have had no problems other then fuel consumption I may have been uninformed in regards to tuning of the bike. As this may have caused a bit of engine and valve wear.
    When I first got my bike I was getting the best day 150.4 miles out of a tank. This was when I went to California along the coast 250 miles one way.
    Normal mpg to school and work was 119 per tank.
    Changed to pods and my mileage went right down to 97 fuel light would come on at 80+ miles.

Maybe I missed the writing on the wall by the bling of chrome from the pods.
    Alas another lesson learned through goggle eyes.

Fortunately I just ordered a lower rebuild kit from Chacal for the Mikuni 33 carbs.

I will no go and eat crow for dinner over my uniformed statement over PODS. :(

13. k-moe

No sad faces around here. We all make choices out of ignorance, and we all learn from them (hopefully).
    I only know so much because of all the mistakes I've made.

jayrodoh and Stumplifter like this.
  14. dowski68

Yes indeed as long as we learn from them there is useful experience.
    Just started to look around garage and found the side covers / clamps / now the question is were is the main air filter compartment. Luckily tomorrow is my day off and I will spend my time tearing the garage apart under the alias of cleaning to my wife LOL however it will actually be the in search of my air box.

Stumplifter likes this.
  15. k-moe

16. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

Laminar flow turbulator ??? Sounds like power tail light oil.

Stumplifter likes this.
  17. wgul

wgul Active Member

People must be giving up on tuning and buying them back on EBay since they are going for about $50

18. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

So for proper air flow, all you need to do is rotate the pods? I thought that for proper air flow you needed to remove the pods! Thanks for the update K-moe! I'm heading to the garage!;);)

19. Ribo

Ribo Prefectionist

Austin Texas USA ( a long way from the UK )
    Ah I miss Ichiban moto vids from my days over at DTT forum -- badass as usual :)

20. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

Matti!
    Step away from the bike, put the tools down, find your helmet and polish it up a bit more....

Dadoseven likes this.