1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Newbie needs help

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Poseidon97!, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Poseidon97!

Poseidon97! New Member

I am looking to purchase a 1981 xj650 to fix up over the winter season and get riding next summer. It is currently advertised as an "easy fix". The ad says that it will turn over but not start. Looking for any ideas/tips/advice as not only do i plan on getting it running, but am also looking to turn it into a bobber. [ps this will be my first ever motorcycle]

2. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

http://www.xjbikes.com/forums/threads/the-information-overload-hour.27544/

Generally a compression check and visual inspection of any structural damage (bent frame, forks, etc.) is your best bet. Where in the US of A are you? There are a lot of helpful people here and a nearby member would probably be more than happy to meet you and look over the bike with you.

Bob away AFTER you get it dialed in and running reliably in a stock engine/ drive train condition. Emphasis on a stock air intake system.

3. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum! Could you give us a little more back ground? Have you even been riding and wrenching long? If this is your first bike, do as Stumplifter suggests and keep it stock until she is running right. Then do what ever you want with her. Safety is key on these older bikes and with you, that is why I was asking about your riding background.

Lots of information on this forum and that link above will take a while to get through, it is well worth it!

4. Ribo

Ribo Prefectionist

Austin Texas USA ( a long way from the UK )
    First ever motorcycle ever or first one you're attempting to "fix-up" ?

Here's the deal on this forum - there's a whole bunch of very knowledgable people here that have been working on these bikes for years and give up there valualbe free time to help other XJ owners like you and i out.. there's also no trolls or dicks - which is unusual for a forum. The best way to go about this is to get yourself a copy of the factory service manual if you can and the Haynes XJ manual ( it's nice to have a hardcopy in the garage but I also have soft copies if you want them PM me ).

Once you have these...as @Stumplifter says get the thing running and STOPPING :)...then make it safe to ride and then consider what you want to do to change it up. Read all that stuff in the information overload hour - read the manual - give it a go and then ask specific questions here. Do that and you'll be up and running in no time. Also click on the XJ4Ever link in the top right(*) and @chacal will help you out with any part you might need.

Also - put the model and year of your bike in your signature so that everyone knows what it is when you post other threads.

Welcome to the club dude! :)

5. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Every seller of a non-running machine says that it's an easy fix. Use that to your advantage when negotiating a price. If it were an easy fix (and it actually my be) why hasn't the seller done it?

Read the links in my signature. Regardless of the actual cause of the bike not starting, you NEED to go through it thoroughly.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
    Jetfixer and Ribo like this.
  6. Nuch

Nuch Well-Known Member

Don't look.

Just get it.

You won't find a better forum with better people.

Go XJ!

7. Poseidon97!

Poseidon97! New Member

Thanks for all the advice guys! As far as my location, mid Ohio. As far as my experience riding, would be my first riding season. But my experience working on things I have a little knowledge. I would help my dad fix the cars and lawn mowers growing up and have always enjoyed it (I know it's two completely different worlds but I think I can manage). I have the optimal space and tools to do the job, just not as much motorcycle mechanic know-how, but I'm always willing to learn

Ribo and Stumplifter like this.
  8. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

Take an MSF course.

You will be fine with your mechanical knowledge level and willingness to learn about motorcycles.

9. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

^^^^+1 The MSF is a great class, you will really lean a lot about motorcycle riding and about your skill level. https://www.msf-usa.org/

10. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Thanks Ribo!

11. Nuch

Nuch Well-Known Member

Plus it's fun to ride in a circle, panic brake, drag the clutch, and traverse 2x4's for two days straight... (with someone else's motorcycle of course).

Plug, Stumplifter and Chitwood like this.
  12. ADragonsTail

ADragonsTail Member

Consider buying one that's already bobbed. They look good but not that good to ride further than a few miles. Once you've done it, you might be sorry.

Jetfixer likes this.
  13. Ribo

Ribo Prefectionist

oh shit I forgot about Matti! :D

14. Ribo

Ribo Prefectionist

Well that depends how you bob it - ask @BaldWonder how far he's ridden - if he's still around.

15. ADragonsTail

ADragonsTail Member

Well, that's my point. I can turn to 100 people I know who enjoy riding their bikes as they were designed. Those unfinished projects we see on ebay are almost never unfinished standard restorations, they are bobbers and cafes. Your mate might be one that did is correctly.

For a new rider, it's a huge risk that the job won't be completed at all (ie one of many unfinished projects on ebay), won't be done at affordable cost, won't be done to an acceptable quality or won't be a bike that he enjoys riding.

The guys have advised to get your bike sorted, absolutely correct. My tip would be to try to get a few rides on bobbers and understand the outcome. Make sure that's what you want before you start.

16. ADragonsTail

ADragonsTail Member

17. Tim O

Tim O Active Member

Ditto on the MSF course, learned a ton. But also remember you are still learning.

As our instructors said when handing us our licenses... "Congratulations! You are now fully qualified to ride motorcycles!... on a closed course, parking lot, ... with two coaches... etc."

In other words you don't know crap yet, be careful :)

MattiThundrrr likes this.
  18. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

RRRIIGGGHHHTTT-----//

19. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

About a season after the MSF course, I started to feel comfortable and confident. I still rode cautiously, but 6 months of experience went a long way. A little less confident the next spring, but it all came back quickly.

20. kosel

kosel Active Member Premium Member

After my experience this past year, I'll always suggest new riders get an older bike and learn the basics as they fix it up.

I didn't plan on buying an XJ, but found something I liked on CL and dove in. I've spent the summer working on it, following the advice of this group. It's been frustrating and intimidating at times, as I had never really worked on any vehicle beyond the simplest of repairs before. That said, I wouldn't trade the experience for anything. I now know more about motorcycles in general than guys I ride with that have been at it for 30+ years.

Case in point, I ride with a group that is mostly HD and Indian. On a ride this past summer, one of them was telling everyone about a factory recall notice from HD to have his brake fluid changed (I guess a new design left much more prone to absorbing moisture). These guys with their expensive bikes were shocked to learn that brake fluid wasn't actually supposed to be dark brown or that it was supposed to be changed one a regular basis. Thanks to what I've learned, I was shocked these veteran riders had no clue.

Stumplifter and Simmy like this.