1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

No neutral light after changing out Atari

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by club_c, Apr 1, 2018.

1. club_c

club_c New Member

Hi folks. I finished a hard tail bobber project on an XJ 750 Maxim last year. I removed the Atari and put on cheap Chinese gauges and the neutral light never worked after that, nor did the associated neutral circuit ie: you could not ever start the bike with the kickstand down, the clutch always had to be in to start. I am now installing an Acewell speedo unit and the neutral circuit is still not working. I cannot figure out what I've missed. I blew up the entire bike on the build, and had it running and everything working in its original state prior to the build. So I'm sure I've overlooked a circuit somehow. I have continuity on the light blue Sb wire from the switch to the termination point in the headlight bucket so it's not a bad wire. I even have a new neutral switch to test in the circuit but no change either. Any suggestions??

2. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

a hard tail bobber should'nt even have a neutral light, and you should always use the clutch to start it anyway

3. club_c

club_c New Member

Bump. Anyone with helpful advice?

4. FJ111200

FJ111200 Active Member

5. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Is the new neutral switch installed so it is grounded to the engine case?

Check the switch while in neutral for close to zero ohms to chassis ground. Since the safety circuit and light are not working, the likely area of the problem is with the switch.

Will the bike run in neutral with the side stand down?

6. club_c

club_c New Member

SOLVED.

It was the neutral switch itself. I was reluctant to believe it because the neutral switch was fine before the teardown for the custom build last year. And the switch remained in place during that time. And I hate throwing parts at a problem until I know it will really solve it. But once out (and isn't that a chore!) you could see the spring loaded nib was low, the internal spring was shot. I suppose that shouldn't be a real surprise. The bike only has 7000 kms on it since new and sat in a garage in neutral for 10 years. I suppose that fatigued the spring. New switch installed and all is well, including starting the bike in neutral with the kickstand down, and able to idle in neutral with the kickstand down. Thanks FJ and Rooster for your responses.