1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Oil/Filter change on 81 XJ650

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Darth_Menace, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Darth_Menace

Darth_Menace Member

to answer, it's the bolt. I went to take the bolt off to drain the oil so I could keep it good. Anyways, when unloosening, the bolt just keeps turning and turning.. So i stripped it. not good.... what has to be done?

2. 213chrisp

213chrisp Member

if it wont come out, your only real option would be to drill it out, use a extremely small bit and run it threw the center, and then step up another size andkeep going over and over, untill it will pop out.....

and just make sure you clean it real well before you refill it back up and run it, because you dont want the metal shavings inside the motor.

other option maybe would be to try o turn and pull on it and hopefully it would catch on the bolt possiably.

3. Darth_Menace

Darth_Menace Member

okay, say I get the bolt out.. but then what do i do to the stripped part of the motor?

4. 213chrisp

213chrisp Member

find a replacement if the threads are messed up, could also be the bottom of the pan , the threads on that part could be messed up too. If youd could find a used one here, would be your best bet, but also could get specs on the bolt and head to the nearest lowes or home depot and use one that matches the thread count and size ....

just sme suggestions, but i would wait for a "expert" to chim in , but being my work ive done on a few mustangs ive worked on , im not too bad with mechanical issues like this.

5. day7a1

day7a1 Member

You can replace the oil pan, if you can find one....is this the first time you've changed the oil? Get a little exuberant with the bolt?

I thought you said it wasn't leaking and that you already had oil in?

6. Darth_Menace

Darth_Menace Member

I guess i got exuberant with the bolt, but I did use a torque wrench.

it wasn't leaking. here is the history of my oil, since i bought the motorcycle:

1)took off oil drain bolt. drained oil, replaced oil. no oil filter replacement due to stripped bolt
    2) tool off oil drain bolt and oil filter bolt. Replaced filter and oil filter bolt. replaced oil. Oil leaked out.....
    3)took off oil drain bolt, drained oil. put bolt back on, put new oil in. Oil started to leak out of bolt hole. I came on here....

7. Darth_Menace

Darth_Menace Member

so what is needed here for me to get this thing working again. Just so I order everything so they arrive at the same time instead of not ordering enough and having to wait:

1) oil pan
    2) pan gasket

Anything else?

8. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Bikes that "Sit" have Starting Problems related to:

Insufficient Cranking Amps. (Battery)
    Just because the battery reads 12 Volts ... doesn't mean it got enough POWER to do more than light a few lights.

Fuse Panel. High Resistances / Intermittent and Open Circuits.
    Age related.
    The Clips holding the Fuses are history.

Corroded Contacts and Switches.
    Open Circuits.

Contaminated Starter Brushes / Commutator
    Brushes too short.
    Brush dust Grounding-out Electrical Path.

(( Short the Main Posts on the Solenoid and see if the Starter Spins. ))

9. Darth_Menace

Darth_Menace Member

thanks man, but i don't think your post was meant for this thread as it made no sense about the situation

10. Darth_Menace

Darth_Menace Member

is there suppose to be some seal on the bolt? or just a washer?

just in case we try to rethread it (to last until I get another oil pan and have it replaced), what size is the bolt?

11. ken007

ken007 Member

gday, i could be wrong and only going from memory but i think i a spark plug fits in there, 14mm,already has a washer aswell,i would think it would be only for an emergency

12. day7a1

day7a1 Member

There's a bunch of oil pans on ebay, mostly under $25. I would think that a whole new pan would be easier than re-threading, new bolt, and a lot of faith.

13. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

14. Darth_Menace

Darth_Menace Member

thanks guys. Except for a drain pan gasket, is there anything else I will need to get this going? It looks like I have to take the exhaust off, so is there anything there I would need to replace as well. And the oil level reader thing has a big hole...does that require a gasket as well? Just making sure I buy all the right parts at the same time

15. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

The oil level sending unit has an o-ring around its midsection, I do believe, not sure if there's a gasket as well. Check the fiche; it's generally illustrated in one of the "electrical" diagrams.

Since you're dropping the exhaust, I'd replace the pipe-to-head gaskets. See: http://www.xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=29356.html

16. Flying Dutchman

Flying Dutchman New Member

I think I screwed up worse, was in a hurry and changed the filter, when I cleaned the drain bucket I found this washer giving me the stink-eye. Tough luck, oil is already in. Today I'm gonna drain the oil, collect it in a clean bucket, put in the washer and chug the oil in again. Then on to the next issue..

17. Get2theChopper

Get2theChopper New Member

Hey guys, newbie here. I found this thread when searching for an answer to a question I had. I'm a proud new owner of a 1981 Yamaha midnight maxim. I'm in the final process of restoring my bike and the last thing I have to do is install a new oil filter, oil filter housing, and of course oil. I found all the parts I needed on eBay, except for one tiny part, the crush washer. I'm not talking about the crush washer for the drain plug, but the first washer that goes inside the oil filter housing. Does anyone know what size that crush washer is, or where I can get one? Can I just go buy a cooper washer at the hardware store?

18. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

Attached Files:

• 78.JPG
      78.JPG
      File size:
      18.8 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  19. Get2theChopper

Get2theChopper New Member

It's an xj650, and yes that's the washer I was looking for! Thank you! Every search I've made for that online always points me to the washer on the oil drain plug, which isn't what i need. On my main oil drain plug it appears there is a washer on the bolt,,but it doesn't come off, not sure if it's corroded and stuck to it, or if it's actually a part of the bolt, regardless it's there and looks to be in good shape, but what I really needed was the washer that you found for me, so thank you so very much! This is my first project bike, and I've cleaned my first set of carbs, I'm nervous and excited to see if i did a good enough job with the carbs for the bike to start. This is off topic, but, I've cleaned the carbs to the best of my knowledge; should I bench sync them before installing them, or should I leave them the way they are and install them and see if they were already synced properly? I don't want to bench synchronize carbs that are already synchronized

20. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

try using www.partzilla.com or www.yamahapartsnation.com for parts look up the number i gave you is a dealership number.

our supporting vender chacal at www.xj4ever.com sells all the parts you need for your bike. but if you only need the washer go to dealer but it will take a week no shipping charge the dealer may have it in stock

there is a crush washer under the drainplug too

well you did what I call a dirty clean if you did not break the rack. did you clean the wells in the carb bowl for the enrichment jet?

if you did not break the rack leave the sync alone .
    did you take out the mixture screws and clean that?