1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Oil/Filter change on 81 XJ650

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Darth_Menace, Jun 30, 2011.

1. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

you should start a new thread about your bike . that way we can discuss your bike and any problems and its repair history, that will makeit easier for every one who is going to help you

Get2theChopper and Stumplifter like this.
  2. Get2theChopper

Get2theChopper New Member

Yes I cleaned the wells in the bowls and cleaned all of the jets and ran thin guitar string through them and blew them with air. I'm taking out the mixture screws today and cleaning those, is there anything else crucial that I should be doing? All of my butterflies open freely, bowls and floats are super clean, jets all clean. Going to oullntjr mixture screws now and clean those. Just trying to confirm the float heights so I can get that done today as well (1981 xj650)

3. Get2theChopper

I will start a new thread, thanks so much for taking the time to answer me, you guys are great in so glad I found this site!

4. XJ550H

5. Get2theChopper

Well, when I first got the bike and got the new gas tank, I hooked it up to the gas lines and started to fill it up, gas started pouring all over the place, And I mean all over, juts gushed out of the carbs, after that I looked at the petcock and saw it was on prime, and then noticed the clamps on the carb boots weren't even tight, so gas was pouring out of those. Yes, I know I'm an idiot, I was just too excited to start it up. The previous owner found it in a barn and stared it up for me using a bottle and a small hose to feed it gas, it would only run at high RPMs for a few seconds and then it would die. Strangely enough, there wasn't gas pouring all over the place when he started it like that, only when my idiot self attached the gas tank with the petcock on prime and loose boots on the carbs did the gas spill everywhere. And I know the floats need adjustment, one of them was slightly bent and one of the floats was higher than it's twin next to it. I straigtened it out so they now match in height (on the same float)

6. XJ550H

7. Get2theChopper

Thanks for the quick reply

8. jameshemi

jameshemi New Member

run some sea foam in the gas, carbs are probably mucked up from ethanol. use chevron 94 octane only or other non ethanol gas.ethanol will gum up your carbs especially after its been sitting for awhile.

9. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

That advice does not mirror my experience with using ethanol blended fuel over the past 35 years.

Timbox likes this.
  10. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

Naptha in the gas will not fix dry-rotted rubber needle tips or seat seals. You have to replace the needle and seat on these carbs when it gets that way. Most "rebuild" kits include a new set with jets and bowl gasket.

k-moe likes this.