1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Parting Times

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by fiveofakind, Aug 4, 2017.

1. fiveofakind

fiveofakind Well-Known Member

I believe I am going to be putting up my '82 XJ750J Maxim for sale .

At my age ( 61 ), I just think it is time to where I need something heavier & more solid going down the road & especially on the California freeways......

Here is the bike I am looking at ....almost new ...only 4,200 miles for an 2008.....sorry it is a Honda & not a Yamaha.

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/mcy/d/2008-honda-vtx-1300-great/6242899797.html

2. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

I'll never fault ya for doing what you feel is best for you! My wife and I rent a Softail every year when we visit Tennessee. While I love my Maxim I really enjoy a heavier bike when touring for hours on end.

I have no experience with the VTX but have heard good things. Good looking bike too.

3. fiveofakind

the bike has only 4,200 miles ...low mileage for an '08.......went and test drove it......even in '08, this bike is still carb'ed.......2 carb's.....

Test drive....it was backfiring a little on deceleration.....and rear brake didn't work at all.....( not good )......but nothing that can't be fixed....

This bike is at a price point that looks very reasonable with low mileage.....

Who knows, I will probably regret selling the Maxim if I were to purchase this bike.....have not pulled the trigger yet....

4. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Do what I do, add the j. You are looking at a VT-Xj. I ride a CM-Xj rebel. It's all in the name, right? I mean aside from the 2 missing cylinders!

5. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

following the same logic, in a few years you'll be looking for a Coupe de Ville :)
    remember, "heavier and more solid" isn't particularly better unless you're on a freeway
    ever consider a CB1000?

6. tabaka45

tabaka45 Well-Known Member

You will love a Honda as long as you don't expect the same hot performance you get with an XJ. I have a 2001 Honda 750 Ace Shadow that I use for road trips mostly. 40,000 with only oil changes, one chain/sprocket change, one set of spark plugs, one valve adjustment, and one coolant change which it probably did not need. Underpowered compared to my XJ but a lot more comfortable on trips. So dependable that it's a little boring.

7. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Depends on the model. Compare a Yamaha (or STAR) v-twin to the same displacement Honda, and you'll find that the performance is nearly identical. Same goes when comparing a YZF-R1 to a CBR1000RR. Yes my 33 year-old XJ 750 outruns my son's 20 year-old VTX-1300, but they were never intended for the same purpose to begin with.

8. tabaka45

Exactly.

9. fiveofakind

k-moe,

I was just thinking the same thing......out on my bike today.......could not believe the pulling power in 5th gear when going to wide-open-throttle.....Incredible.......the power these bikes have......Put a smile on my face......

I am sure my XJ750 is just as fast as the Honda VTX1300 in certain tests.....

At my age......I am just looking for a much bigger bike with some weight and solidness behind it when out on the Ca. freeways.......

I just feel very vulnerable on a mid-size XJ out there.......with the weight, just seems a little uneasy out there sometimes.......

$4k for above bike, I believe is a great deal with only 4,200 miles on the bike.....

Jetfixer likes this.
  10. tabaka45

Personally, I think that is top dollar for a private sale. Retail in excellent condition ia$4950; trade in is $3405. Also, I had rather have the stock exhaust.

11. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

X2 @tabaka45 . For that money the rear brake should work etc. If it was a great deal it'd be sold already.

12. fiveofakind

The bike has almost no time on it.......4,200 miles is nothing....
    \
    I agree ...the rear brake should be working........when I test drove......pedal went to floor......no pressure there......so I will probably have to trailer it home.......to be safe...if purchased.....

Going to look at a VTX1800 tomorrow.......then to make a decision between VTX1300 or VTX1800

13. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Even if you make a switch ..don't forget about us.. and you will miss your xj :)

14. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Do you still have the Rebel too? How does the Shadow compare? I've seen some well priced Spirits around here... Are the valves tappet like the Rebel? I'm liking that process as opposed to shims!

15. tabaka45

Yep, still have the Rebel. Ride it a lot around town and short trips. Easy to ride and lots of fun, just dont' be in too much of a hurry. The Shadow is a 750 while the Rebel is a 250, so powerwise there's not much to compare. Both are very reliable. Both have the same type of valve adjustment, which I also prefer over shims.

16. joejr2

joejr2 Active Member Premium Member

I have toured for many years on a "97" valkyrie standard. It's great on the highway but I'm 70 now and it's hell on my legs in town with
    stop and go traffic. I picked up KZ 1100 ltd shaft last year and finished restoring it it May. It's fast enough on the highway and not so hard
    on my legs in town. I was looking for an "82" 1100 maxim but found the KZ in a shed first.

Jetfixer likes this.
  17. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Keep the Xj,ride the other as your primary bike. Ride the Xj as a sunny day only type of bike.

18. fiveofakind

Sunny days...that's 330 days of XJ riding, the other 35 days are partly sunny here in San Diego.....so that leaves no time for the other bike

19. tabaka45

Are you complaining?

20. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

I've heard of this "sun" thing... Big yellow ball in the sky, right? Supposedly warm? I'd like to see one someday!

joe elliff and Wintersdark like this.