1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Per the church of clean but....

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Luis, Jun 20, 2015.

1. Luis

Luis Member

(thanks chacal for all the parts, you guys rock!!). Valves are in spec. I rebuilt the carbs, throttle shaft seals and all, I did it per the church of clean, I cleaned every oriffice with carb cleaner and air... I feel very comfortable saying the carbs are clean, I put them back together per the PDF of changing your Hitachi throttle shaft seals, bench synced, wet set the floats.... I'm comfortable with what iI did BUT something aint right.... Installed the carbs, bike started right up, warned up and started smoking like a bat out off hell, blipped the throttle and it just sputtered and didiedied.....What went wrong

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

What else has been done to the bike aside from the carbs?

3. Luis

Luis Member

Nothing, besides doing the brakes, clutch, bearings.... It ran ok before carb rebuild.. Plugs before rebuild were paper sack brown, never touched the mixture screws.... during carb rebuild, set the mixture screws 2 turns, benched synced, wet set and installed and now it smoked bad, not black smoke, sort of whiteitsh I would say, smells really rich... Now when running at idle, grab the throttle and blip it, and it just adopters and dies... Give it a little choke and it will run better.... Obviously I have done something wrong and just can't see it.. Carbs, mechanically speaking, are not much to them, the rebuild went great, at least I thought it did. This afternoon i pulled the carbs back off and went back through them again with cleaner, wire for all the little holes and compressed air...again I'm pretty certain they are clean.. But I'm missing something that I just can't see

4. Luis

Luis Member

That should say sputter and dies when you blip the throttle

5. k-moe

When you tore the carbs down were you careful to mark the throttle butterfies as to which carb they went to and which position they were in (this is just for clarity)?

Needing to give it more choke is indicative of a lean condition, and 2 turns out would be slightly lean. Go to 2 1/2 turns out and see how she responds.

The smoke may not be related to the carbs, so we won't address that just yet.

6. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

air jets in the right position, the one with the larger hole goes towards the engine. all the vacuum ports are taken care of.

7. Luis

Luis Member

K-moe, yes, very anal, marked each carb to insure and took many pictures just to insure...
    Pollock, yes, this afternoon when I tore them down again, I made sure, even got on to this site and found the discussion on the air jets just to make sure I was putting them in the right place

8. Luis

Luis Member

Ok.. I'm such a D U M B A A S!!! Prior to the church of clean I had a bottle of sea foam and marvel mystrey oil, I put that in the tank please don't ask why...just because.... Then the next day I went to the church of clean, parts came in and I rebuilt it all...... All back together, carbs on, run like dog caca... So I seeked advice and posted.... K-moe, spot on the 2.5 or so turns... After that I drain the tank and filled it up with clean fresh gas... Well I'll be damned... No smoke and runs sweet..was able to do a running sync and a colortune and sitting around 2ish turns on the mixture screws... Damn, such a dumbass, I knew better..... Thanks k-moe and pollock

k-moe likes this.
  9. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

you gave your bike a enima :eek:

10. k-moe

Dr. Kellogg used to recomended a thorough cleaning out in order to stay regular.

Stumplifter likes this.
  11. bmarzka

bmarzka Active Member

Don't be too hard on yourself. We all do dumb things. I took the tank off one time and when I put it back on, I hooked a carb drain hose to the petcock instead of the gas line. Couldn't understand why gas was pouring out of #2 and the bike wouldn't start. Duh.
    I'll bet it from all that "cough syrup" I drank back in the 70's.

Stumplifter likes this.
  12. Luis

Luis Member

Finally able to take the bike out for a good run, finally stopped raining.... WOW, what a difference, day and night, I wish I would have done the total rebuild sooner... And no more, every again, marvel mystery oil, that oil made me ponder life....

wgul likes this.
  13. k-moe

MMO really is a great top-end lubricant. Just don't dump the whole bottle in a a 5 gallon tank :)
    I use it on long trips during the summer to aid with valve cooling (at the recommended amount).

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
  14. Luis

Luis Member

NOTED!! Thanks k-moe, good to know, more is not always better :)

15. cruiserlover

cruiserlover Active Member

yep.that's about the dumbest thing I ever heard.;)

16. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

I put Marvel in tank all the time , just a little . Glad to hear you did carbs the right way , now if everyone followed this advise they could avoid many problems and enjoy riding .

17. tabaka45

tabaka45 Well-Known Member

If you had to remove the carbs only one extra time and consider yourself a “DUMBASS” I hate to think what I am.

Stumplifter and cruiserlover like this.
  18. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

LOL, I think if you do a search you will find that many of us have taken their carbs out many many times before we got it right. For me it was not wanting to brake them all the way down and replace the throttle seals....HAS TO BE DONE ;) That good news is it does get simpler each time you do it.

Stumplifter likes this.