1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Petrol tank dent ,has anyone ever used air to remove dent.

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Anthony Byrne, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Anthony Byrne

Anthony Byrne New Member

I have a dent in tank of xj it's not severe, just wondering if anyone has any info about using compressed air to try force it out.id appreciate any advice.im new here.thanks in advance.tony

2. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

Small non creased dent, maybe. They weren't designed to be pressurized, nor would you want to be anywhere close to a pressurized tank should it let go. Depending on the dent, the metal gets stretched and requires a lot more work than just popping it out. If the paint is not damaged, there are paint less dent removal guys at good shops or online but they can be pricey.

3. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

That's a good way to ruin a tank.

4. taptapindustries

taptapindustries Member

Hi Tony,
    I would not pressurise a tank.
    I have had success pulling a large shallow dent with a toilet plunger.

The toilet plunger technique was used on a mates tank; the dent came out on the second pull. popped straight out back to original. a light buff to remove scratches and it was perfect, as new.
    hope you got any easy to fix like that.

I have also used a cheap dent removal kit off ebay to pull a dent on a car. it came up good but not quite perfect (yet) There is quite a knack to doing dent removal. There are loads of tutorials on youtube
    and it looks like; with a gentle touch, patience and practice u can get stuff looking the best part of perfect.
    goodluck!

5. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

i have been told that you can heat up a dent then chill it with canned air and it will pop out if it is not a bad dent . never seen it done