1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Registered my bike with no title... in CA!

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Braderrad, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Braderrad

Braderrad New Member

Just wanted to share my success story with you guys and pass along the hope of registering an untitled bike:

So I pretty much did what every motorcycle buyer should never do. I bought my bike with no title, no plates, just a bill of sale handwritten and the seller telling me there’s a bunch of back fees from the DMV, being out of the system for a while. Last time it had been registered in CA was 2005 I think. The VIN checked out to be clean from my searches, so I went ahead and bought the bike anyway, being quite ignorant about the process.

Turns out that the seller never registered the bike in his name and had lost the title and paperwork along with the previous owner’s contact info. I thought for sure that I was screwed because after numerous times going to the DMV and AAA, they would just tell me that I had no ownership of the bike and wouldn’t give me the info of the registered owner to contact for a signature because I pretty much had a bill of sale from a random guy. I was awfully discouraged at that point. I looked into registering my bike in VT like some others have and thought about selling it back to the seller but I’d put almost $500 and countless hours into her already and just loved her too much to give up.

So after much research I found a jewel of a company - CARS (california auto registration service) who saved the life of my bike. I called up and talked to a lady about my situation and she told me to send over all of my paperwork to see if they could help me out. Somehow they worked their magic and the nice ladies over there not only got me a title, plate and tags but they found out that since my bike was 25 yrs or older (1982 xj550 seca) I could register it as a historic vehicle - originally had around $800 worth of back fees that were thrown out the window. Ended up paying a grand total of $220 to the company out the door for a fully registered, titled, plated legal bike in California! Not one step in another dmv and personal guidance through the whole process from some really helpful girls.

I’m not a rep for the company or anything just another rider who’s really stoked getting my bike registered and wanted to pass the info and good news to you guys. I’m sure there are other titling companies out there but I can tell you firsthand that this company worked for me. If you're in a similar situation, just hit them up and they can help! Here’s the info:

CARS California Auto Registration Service
    27625 Jefferson Ave. #105B
    Temecula, CA 92590
    (951)694-4331

2. XJOE550

XJOE550 Active Member

I did the VT route, but may not work for you since it was already registered in CA and had back fees.

[​IMG]

Cost was $74 but no title. So when I'm ready I will have to pay probably another $75 or so to FL to get title and vintage plates (much cheaper here too). Congratulations on getting yours sorted out.

3. zombiehouse

zombiehouse Member

Braderrad, did you have to take the bike anywhere to get the VIN verified?

4. Braderrad

Braderrad New Member

XJOE550:
    I'm glad there's other success stories out there. When I first saw your pic on my phone I thought...how did he get #9...

zombiehouse:
    Nope, my bike hasn't left the garage. I sent a pic of the VIN but don't know if they needed it or not. I didn't even need to leave my house either because we just mailed the documents back and forth.

5. Foolber

Foolber Member

why are you getting vermont plates if you dont live in that state?

6. Foolber

Foolber Member

dirty commies

7. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Vermont wil title any vehicle with a lost title so long as you can provide a bill of sale, and the title search comes back clean. Most other states won't do that without either a notarized letter from the previous owner listed on the title, or a lean/abandoned vehicle salvage claim. Vermont also charges a very reasonable fee ($75 IIRC). Once titled you can transfer it to your state of residence as if you were the original owner.

8. k-moe

Japan isn't, and hasn't ever been, communist. They did have a fascist government for a time, but my great uncles helped take care of that problem :D

9. XJOE550

XJOE550 Active Member

As K-moe stated above, most states will not give you new title without the prior owner on the last registration / title signs off on it. In Florida, it is a requirement that the prior owner supplies a siigned title. You can go through the courts if he can't be found and get it awarded to you but that is very expensive. Doesn't make sense on a bike I purchased for $275.00. So the guy I bought it from had now idea who the last owner was and it had N.Y. plates. When I bought the bike I had the local county sheriff meet me and verify the VIN and give a certificate (required when applying for VT registration). And of course at the same time it confirms the bike was not stolen. Otherwise, I would have turned the trailer and gone right back to the seller. I also got a bill of sale from the seller (both of these documents I had pre-printed from the FL DMV). That is all I needed for the VT registration. Just fill out the VT application and send the bill of sale along with the VIN/odometer certificate and it was a done deal. All by mail. Just a few points to know however. VT only does this for motorcycles 15 yrs or older. VT doesn't title motorcycles older than that. Therefore, that means you will not receive a title. Only a registration and plates. The cost is $44 for the registration and 6% tax with a minimum of tax on $500. So I paid tax on $500.00 ($30.00) plus the $44.00 for a total of $74. Now I will be able to use that registration to get a FL title. And the tags if I should choose to get them now. Bike without title or at least a registration is worth only for parts. The only other way I knew would have been to purchase a titled frame. Way more expensive I would think and work involved to swap frames.

10. XJOE550

XJOE550 Active Member

I hear about that all the time for the large displacement KZ market on the related forum I'm on. Not sure about the XJ's you guys can answer that. But I think they had a 750cc displacement limit to the local Japanese market mandated by their laws back then. Now they are allowed larger bikes and go crazy after these bikes. Very talented upgrades to these old bikes, titanium hand bent 4-1 exhausts and update suspensions but still look like they are from the 70's. You should see some of the pimped out scooters from Japan, LOL.

11. Kwiski

Kwiski Member

I also bought my bike here in Ca with no title. The kid that sold the bike to me never registered it in his name. I just found out from the DMV who was the last owner. Waited a couple of days, signed previous owners name as the bike was not hot & got me my tags. as long as they are not stolen the DMV just wants the money.....LOL...

12. Foolber

Foolber Member

Wow sounds like a hassle. Guess that's why I don't buy bike with no titles. Honestly don't see why people do unless its a doner bike.

And I didn't mean the country japan, I meant the azns who are taking the bikes...

13. 750E-II_29Rbloke

750E-II_29Rbloke Active Member

IIRC they had a 400cc limit that gave rise to bikes like my Honda NC and the original Suzuki GSX-R (it wasn't called a GSX-R400, just plain GSX-R). Also they had laws that made it near impossible to keep vehicles over a certain age (7 years?) road legal, to keep people buying new! Perhaps over a certain age they relax things again for enthusiasts?

They made some pretty neat machines under 400cc, all revs no torque but a lot of fun to ride hard :D

If they really are that mad for their own bikes back I'll get onto them about my XJ

14. cutlass79500

cutlass79500 Well-Known Member

Here in Ga all you need is a bill of sale and if vin is clean you can register it. You either have to have a cop verify your vin or drive the bike to the dmv. They only do this for 85 and earlier bike they won't issue you a title. But you have to have a GA drivers license. Thats all you need to get a title in other states

15. XJOE550

XJOE550 Active Member

But here is the key difference between GA and VT, and I suspect CA; In VT you do not have to be a resident to register the bike there. Braderrad got a title and registration in CA, the same state he resides in. Would a person not living in CA have been able to do the same thing? Cutlass79500 stated you have to have a valid GA driver's license. Therefore, a residence. The beauty of VT is you don't have to have ever set foot there.

16. cutlass79500

cutlass79500 Well-Known Member

That is good to know i have a few hi dollar antiques without titles the values are way down. I have no idea why Ga will not issue a title for old bikes but will issue 1 if you have 1 to start

17. Ground-Hugger

Ground-Hugger Member

Boy I'm glade I live in Ontario Canada. All you need here is a bill of sale, a used vehicle kit. its a list of all the previous owners and there addresses of the bike also list accidents and leans against the bike if any. You get it from the DOT, DMV in the states, cost $20 dollars and has to be paid for by seller. If there's no ownership all you do is send a registered letter to the last registered owner. You then take letter receipt, bill of sale to DOT office and they issue you ownership.

18. k-moe

Easy title transfers, and you get all the cool bikes too. Bastards :wink:

19. 750E-II_29Rbloke

I'm movin' to dragsta's back yard! 8O

20. 750E-II_29Rbloke

lol, just send an eastern European or Asian person over here in my place & they'll be fine with it, UK love them :roll:

Would be nice to see the sun for a change too!