1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Rewiring help

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by tdoerr1989, Aug 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. tdoerr1989

tdoerr1989 Member

Bike: 1985 Xj700
    Problem:Wanting to rewire bike

Alright, so what I wanna do is rewire my bike (currently not running), so that I can eliminate all the unnecessary wiring. I started to today, by disassembling the wiring harness and then I hit a brick wall after I thought I had it wired up correctly. Still dead. The bike also had no ignition and I've since isolated the electric start and kill switch wires from their box because it was damaged and not making proper contact. So right now everything is as hardwired as you can get it. Has any ever ventured down this road? If so, PLEASE HELP! I just wanna get this beauty on the road where it should be. This bike is liquid cooled, and shaft driven. I'm just looking for someone with expertise to put me on the right track, I wanna simplify this as much as possible. I am NOT an electrician.

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

XJ700-X with no ignition switch/key.
    what do you mean by BOX ?
    you will want to look at the wiring as the separate systems.
    start with the starter system, then the ignition system, charging system and cooling system.

are you looking to remove all the relays and safety devices and go to minimum wiring?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
  3. tdoerr1989

tdoerr1989 Member

What I mean by box is the box the contains the electric start and kill switch. And I'm gonna start slow by trying to power one thing at a time. And yes, I want to eliminate all safety relays and junk and just go to minimal wiring for the bike.

4. XJ550H

thr right controler on handle bars?

what did you do to resolve the ignition key issue ?

5. tdoerr1989

tdoerr1989 Member

I never did, still trying to use a jumper wire in the plug.

6. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

I can guess from your post that you had the bike running before you started to mod the stock wiring? If you did at what point did you lose the ability to start the bike?

Can you reverse what you have done to make the bike run again? If you could then you would be able to work slow and get it done one step at a time. Good luck on this project and you will be a schematic reading soldering tech when you are done.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
    Stumplifter likes this.
  7. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I think it was a bit of a basket case even missing the main harness, so it has never run.

So did you buy a battery?

You can go minimal, but if you already bought a replacement harness it would be just as easy to go stock, then you would have the safety circuit working, which is there for a reason... your safety.

It is very easy to bypass the ignition switch, on the main harness ignition switch connnector just jumper Red to Brown and you get 90% of it, add blue to those to get the running lights and tail light.

Hopefully that doesn't mean you hardwired the starter switch. You are going to need one of those with stock or minimal wiring. Most of the control switches can be cleaned and put back into working order. Or, working replacement parts on ebay can often be found cheap.

And, from the condition you described it sounds like the bike has been sitting a while. You might want to do a few checks on the motor to be sure you have a worthwhile project. First make sure the motor is not seized, and if it has been sitting remove the plugs and add about a tablespoon of oil. Put the bike in 5th gear and rotate the rear wheel and see if the motor will turn over.

k-moe and Timbox like this.
  8. XJ550H

are you talking about the right control on the handle bars?

9. XJ550H

here are the basic min wiring diagramsfound on this site. eQNlgxq.jpg m1csRY7.jpg

the diagrams do not include the cooling systems

10. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

You have your hands full, I would make it easy on yourself and get it up and running or at least turning over, spark and then go from there. Don't you want to know it is a good running motor before you go and trick it out? Just trying to talk you into make sure the bike is worth putting all the time into all the mods. Again best of luck and many here to help as issues come along.

11. tdoerr1989

tdoerr1989 Member

I know the motor isn't seized because I jumped the starter and got some compression coming out of the exhaust. And did you say by just connecting red to brown I can get the bike to turn over? Because I agree with you guys, I wanna make sure a in can get the damn thing to turn over before sinking anymore money into. So how's this. By just doing the minimal wiring, can someone please tell me how I can just get power to the ignition?

12. tdoerr1989

tdoerr1989 Member

I wanna make sure I can get direct power to that part first, then I will worry about hooking up the cooling system and so on and so forth.

13. tdoerr1989

tdoerr1989 Member

And yes, I do have a battery for the bike now.

14. XJ550H

look at the min wiring diagram . the red wire from the battery goes to the main fuse then to the ignition key(jumper) the red connects to the brown wire that goes back to the fuses. that is where to start. fuse box hook up
    the blue wire goes to the tail lights

15. XJ550H

on the wiring diagram from fsm the solinoid red whire connects to battery cable then the blue/white wire runs to relay then to start button
    in the min wiring diagram ignition fuse feeds the kill switch then goes to solinoid then to start button to ground.
    if you hook this up first you will get your starter to spin.

just remember the kill switch feeds solinoid tci and coils so you will need to plan for the items
    when those are wired your bike will turn over and start.

16. XJ550H

if you still have the original harness jumpers can be used at the relay connectors.
    other wise go buy some wire and make a quick harness to start the bike

17. XJ550H

also disconnect the black/white wire running from tci

18. tdoerr1989

tdoerr1989 Member

What is the tci again? Is that the regulator or the ignitor?

19. XJ550H

the ignitor.

you will want to use the connector at the tci that run to pickup coils with its harness as it is a stright run from tci to pickups.
    the other connector runs to the ignition coils the gray and orange wires and the red/white wire

20. tdoerr1989

tdoerr1989 Member

What are the color wires that runs to the coils, I always get turned around to which one is supposed to hook up there