1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Steber's 81 XJ550 Bobber

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by steber, Aug 7, 2016.

1. steber

steber Active Member

Absolutely, these are not my brake lights. They are my turns and secondary taillight. I'm installing a TC Bros side mount plate that is my main brake/taillight. Yes, they are my turns, yes I envision the turns being somewhat difficult to see in the back. Luckily, I'm more concerned with being seen from the front for turns, which I retrofit lollipops off of a Yamaha raider. So I'll have no problem being seen from the front turning at intersections...

On to bigger and better news... I couldn't take much more waiting. I slapped the battery in to test circuits.

Confirmed working:
    Electronic flasher relay
    Turn signals
    Idiot lights (atleast kickstand, neutral, turning)
    Starter
    Coils are throwing spark
    Horn

I think that's all I could test without starting the bike. Some weight lifted off my shoulders for sure. I need to make new fuel lines for the new tank and hopefully then I can start the bike. It felt good to hit the starter and here her turn a little bit. No fuses popped, a loose ground gave a small spark but easy to fix.

Fuel lines.. using original petcock, just need longer lines, which won't be 'formed' anymore but I'm okay with that. Guess I'm off to research what size I'll need, feel free to chime in if anyone knows the size.

Totally feeling stoked right now though. Maybe the end is actually in sight?

2. steber

steber Active Member

Well, with all good news comes bad news. I was able to get the bike running today with the carbs on. Looks like the carbs took some damage from setting for that long. the T off the fuel line is leaking heavily, and I assume that means the rack has to be broken down to replace this. I'm not very happy about having the break the rack down because of the 'black voodoo magic' thats inside that has my pods functioning properly. The floats may also be sticking but their was enough fuel coming out of the T that it was running down the sides of the carbs closest to the kick stand so i can't confirm that. At this point, i guess I need to look into rebuilding the carbs again. It's been about 4 years, maybe even longer at this point I cant quiet remember. Also, im a bad boy and I lost my JIS screw driver when i moved many moons ago. This was not in the plans, sadly. Just another delay in the project. But lets focus on the positive that she actually started in the first place.

David Cormier likes this.
  3. steber

steber Active Member

Franz and Chitwood like this.
  4. steber

steber Active Member

Just when you think you're fine you snap your chain oring retention clip. Go figure.. well guess I'll wait another day before test riding.

IMG_20170828_130217.jpg IMG_20170828_130224.jpg IMG_20170828_122146.jpg

5. cruzin

cruzin Active Member

Nice build

steber likes this.
  6. steber

steber Active Member

IMG_20170828_132020.jpg

Finally have a new chain on the way.. then it's time for a test ride!! Can't wait. I'll hook up the camera for the first test run.

Dadoseven and kosel like this.
  7. steber

steber Active Member

IMG_20170926_180837.jpg

Well, I finally got to take her out for a test ride. Everything seems to be functioning. The engine really loved the quick jog around the blocks. Now that I shock up all the bolts I'm going to fix a few quick things, nothing major. I'm still impressed how much this engine just wants to scream, with all the weight off from the chop it was really light on its toes.

At this point I want to just enjoy her a bit before fall sneaks up on us, over winter I'm thinking fenders, possibly a cowl, and to fix the damn dent thats in the tank! If all goes right, I hope to have her in paint as soon as I can spray clear in the spring?

8. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

back up a few pictures, the tire doesn't look like it's in the center.....?

Franz and Jetfixer like this.
  9. steber

steber Active Member

Wow, yeah it doesn't in that picture. So, the xt250 top that's attached to the stock xj550 swing arm was asymmetrical. I think this was do to chain clearance? I guess this, along with the angle in that picture is what causes it to appear off center.

10. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i read somewhere that if the wheel aren't in the same plane |
    ...................................................................................................|
    it would take a expert rider on a track to tell, they were talking a 1/2 inch. but |
    .............................................................................................................................. / this is very noticeable

11. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

that didn't work, sort of fixed

12. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

gold chain real nice touch

steber likes this.
  13. steber

steber Active Member

Thanks xj550. When I paint her blue the chain should really pop.

Polock, I took some more pictures. I'm still fairly certain it's straight and centered as the lower part of the swing arm is uncut. I'll keep a close eye on it for sure. I've come to live with the asymmetrical look.. not much I can do about it. I have myself convinced it's from the xt250 chain path clearance.

Attached Files:

14. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i'm hope it's all good for ya but hang on to the old sprocket, it might be the spacer you might need

Jetfixer likes this.
  15. steber

steber Active Member

For reasons I'd embarrassed about, my rectifier took a hit; Dragged it along the road. You live you learn, but where can I pay for my lesson? As in, get a 'new' rectifier? Any aftermarket ones that are plug and play?

Attached Files:

16. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

Do you think the internals of it were damaged by it bouncing on the pavement? Otherwise judging by the pic, I'd be inclined to do some careful solder repair on the wires and see where you end up. It may work it may not but at least you'd only be out some solder, heat shrink, and a little time

17. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

+1 to that

18. steber

steber Active Member

Winters finally letting go of it's grasp here and just in time I'm getting the bike back up and running.. I'll upload my progress on the battery box when I'm at a computer .. here she is as she sits now, was a breezy test ride this morning.

IMG_20180422_105505_503.jpg

Chitwood likes this.
  19. steber

steber Active Member

Bike was trailing horrible in the turns.. I knew this may have been a problem with how much I lowered the front. I decided to flip the bars down under the top tree and pull the fork tubes back down the tree in increase the rake. Made a huge difference and handles much better now.

Shakin down the bike a few miles at a time and bringing it back to check nearly every bolt. It's going to take a long time to get used to and trust the bike. So far she's doing well and will keep increasing my radius I'm riding as the days go by.

Phase two seems like it'll wait for now. I'm happy it's a a rideable stage right now and all electronics are functioning well.

IMG_20180423_141658_297.jpg IMG_20180423_125100.jpg

Chitwood likes this.
  20. steber

steber Active Member

just another update.. well I've been test riding it for a while and everythings running good. Decided to find the stock mirrors, then i remembered that I had my raider mirrors laying around and sure enough the bolted right up and I actually like the fit. Gotta love free parts! Also threw the front fender back on for now.. Need to think if i want to metal work the stock fender or go with something different. Ultimately, I want something shorter and closer to the wheel.. The rear will need to be something from scratch for sure. Looking at possibly rebuilding the clutch in the very near future since we're now on the 'other side' of the hump I'm willing to maybe invest a little more into it, I know my last post said phase two will wait, maybe i just mean phase 3.. tires are another issue i need to address, and i think i'll be going with Avon roadmasters front and back, as i like the look and think they'll handle the best in the twisties. Might take it over to the first local car/bike show of the year tonight.. Im definitely enjoying riding the XJ again.

Attached Files:

Chitwood likes this.