1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Suzuki DRZ125

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by Simmy, Jun 24, 2017.

1. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

I introduced my 12 year old son to motorcycles today. We recently picked up an 07 DRZ125 but today was the first official day riding it. He is stoked and I'm the world's greatest dad.
    I've been waiting basically 12 years for his mother's permission which finally came this spring.
    In a lot of ways I have to agree with waiting as long as we did. It's not always fair to the kid putting them on a motorcycle before they've acquired the proper motor skills to safely operate it.
    I taught his mother to ride about 15 years ago with a DRZ125L which I also still have. Same bike but larger wheels. He wasn't able to touch the ground so we added to the fleet with this one.
    This is good so now we have matching Suzuki's minibikes.
    Its going to be a fun filled summer, just not sure when I get to ride my own bikes.
    DRZ125 .jpg

2. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

If my dad had gotten me a motorcycle when I was 12, I betcha I wouldn't have gotten into the troubles I did... Good plan, man. I'm sure the bike was cheaper than my lawyer bills.

3. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

Well the junior is coming along faster than I expected. I'm not pushing him, actually encouraged him to slow down a bit.
    This shot was only his 4th time ever riding a motorized anything. I don't think you can beat the thrill of dirt biking for new riders. I told him many street riders have ridden for years and not experienced what he has. I'm going to steer away from the moto-x track and keep him on the trails. Anymore of this and he will hurt himself. He says hockey is still more fun so I don't want to jeopardize that.
    start finish jump.jpg
    On the DRZ125 thread I found my other one completely gummed up from sitting unused the last 5 years. Both the petcock and carb were plugged solid with gunk. For expediency I replaced both with Chinese knock offs $9 and $28 respectively off e-bay. The bike works now, not sure if its anymore sluggish than a 7 hp 125 is supposed to be. The Mikuni has a small spring operated diaphragm on the side of it which the Chinese carb does not have. I can't find anything on the net which explains WTF it does. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

4. lostboy

lostboy Well-Known Member

I don't have an answer to your question, but what track are you at ?

5. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

He's on the peewee track at Motopark near Chatsworth (Owen Sound).