1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Ted's 2nd '82 XJ750 Maxim bobber project

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Ted, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Ted

Ted Member

Moving over from the Techical section now.. here's where I started:

http://www.xjbikes.com/forums/index...82-xj750-maxim-anyone-got-a-spare-head.47550/

newxj.jpg newxj2.jpg

Here's a quick rundown of what I've got done so far:

* Valves in spec - all 8 were too tight when I got it
    * oil & filter changed
    * repaired broken threads on #4 exhaust port, drilled & tapped new threads and new studs in #1 and #4
    * stripped paint from all of the tins - goodbye NY Giants! this job was a bastard.. he layed it on thick!
    * my dad pulled the major dents with his Spitznagel and applied the first coat of bondo. He also worked some magic on the rear fender to flatten out the recessed area from under the taillight and filled the holes.
    *"bobbed" the frame - left it a little longer than my 1st. Not sure yet if I want to go with the solo seat again or try to build a custom seat with room for 2.
    * Atari gone
    * new risers, bars, and grips
    * swapped in the XJ1100 headlight from my other bike (old bike got a new fleabay light)
    * rebuilt petcock

bob3.jpg bob1.jpg bob2.jpg

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  2. Ted

Ted Member

Soooo now what?

* It runs good - and strong, but it's got a hanging idle (takes awhile to get back down to idle speed after high revs) so I guess I need to pull the carbs to give them a good cleaning and pass the ol' clunk test. Might wait until my pods & jets get here first so I only have to do it once.
    * brakes - of course. They grab good & The PO said he replaced the rear shoes but I'll check 'em anyway and get some new lines on the way soon.
    * Finish smoothing out the tins & slap on some paint. I think it's gonna be silver - maybe a satin silver, and considering some stripes or scallops.
    * decide on a seat. I'm not sure yet if I want to go with a solo seat like on my first bike or try to make something a little longer and more comfy. I might take a stab at modifying the factory seat...
    * figure out a taillight setup - I bought this cheap bastard from ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-...t-LED-Custom-Tail-Light-/151425037167?vxp=mtr & I'll admit for about $15 bucks I was impressed with the quality but it's poorly designed. The light shines straight down at the license plate so when it's mounted you either have the brake light shining straight down or the plate facing straight up... and the light's not bright enough. I'll probably just end up with the same set up I have on my other bike because it's cheap and effective.
    * Forward controls - I think I'm gonna try to fit a set from a V-star SV650 on here... more on that later.

3. Ted

Ted Member

Thinking about trying to fab a seat like this one (done by the guys at bare bones rides barebonesrides.com )

bare bones seat.jpg

4. BrosefStalin

BrosefStalin Member

Ugh. The Mets...good thing you took care of that. ;)

What fleabay light are you using on the other bike? Ready to switch out my square one and I'm having trouble figuring out if I should scour for an 1100 light, or buy a new one?

Nice work by the way! I love your other bike so I'm subscribed!

John1991 likes this.
  5. Ted

Ted Member

Here's the headlight I put on my other bike:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/British-Sty...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I don't like it as much as I thought I would. It's a little smaller than the XJ1100 light and I still need to get a different set of ears for it. I bent in the factory ears a little to make it fit right and not very happy with the result. I can throw up a couple pics of it mounted up later if ya want.

6. BrosefStalin

BrosefStalin Member

Gotcha! It couldn't hurt, I'd like to see it.

7. Hotcakesman

Hotcakesman Active Member

looks great, next summer I need to ride to SF and meet you and see your bikes!

8. Ted

Ted Member

Things are starting to thaw out around here so almost time to start chipping away at this bastard again. As I mentioned in the thread for my other bike, I'm going to be putting some Suzuki Savage 650 shocks on this one within a couple days and have been ordering a few parts. Cheap stuff from e-bay of course. :D

It's gonna be interesting to see how some of this works out. Especially the "fender". I plan on using the bullet lights as brake lights mounted up by the fender. The license plate will be mounted down below by the axle or lower shock mount with a seperate white light.

I promise to post some real progress pics ASAP. ;)

fender.JPG brake lights.JPG bracket.JPG

9. Ted

Ted Member

Made a fair amount of progress over the last week considering the limited amount of time my family gives me for dad stuff.. even got the carbs pulled apart & ready for cleaning. The PO wasn't lying - somebody definitely rebuilt these recently. It doesn't look too bad in there but everything was gritty & looks like the fuel enrichment circuit passages are clogged and the bowl drain screws are all completely buggered. Anybody want to extract them for me? :D

This is where I'm at for now. I really like this fender. Picked up the seat at the local spring swap meet for $10! It ain't brand new but couldn't pass it up for the price.

That exhaust tip is just for fun. I'm still looking at muffler options.. might try slicing the megaphone muffler that came with it into some sort of nasty slashcut sort of thing.

I love this fender.

The e-bay license plate bracket was a steal. Solid construction & works exactly as advertised.

bike 6.jpeg bike 5.jpeg

Still need to work on rear lights & figure out a paint scheme...

Taylor O'Dell and goblinfarts like this.
  10. FtUp

FtUp Well-Known Member

Looking good

FU

11. Ted

Ted Member

Helped a buddy do brakes, ball joints, & tie rods on his pickup this weekend so didn't have much time to play with my bikes but I brought my bowls over to my dads house yesterday & he got the stuck drain screws out. Like a boss. I'm sure if I had to do it all on my own I would've mangled them so bad I would be shopping on ebay right now but my dad is the MF'ing man. :D

DAD DRILL.jpeg

Better add this one in for the car guys. :) Dad's '65 GTO (built not bought) . It has a 428 with 3 2-barrels. He's also got 3 Harleys in the garage so it he just loves helping me work on my crappy little rice-burners. :D

gto drill 2.jpeg

New hex-head drain screws just arrived from Chacal yesterday, too so it's time for me to go to church! ;)

12. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Nice-looking fender, has good lines to match the bike.

I think user Robert (who hasn't been around for a while) also has a '65 GTO.

Your bike has more carbs than his car does, though.............

Ted likes this.
  13. Ted

Ted Member

Verry slow progress. Wife and kids are keeping me pretty busy but I've been chipping away at the carbs.

Bowls, hats, and rack are clean and fuel enrichment passages are clear. Waiting for warmer evenings to bang out the rest. I'd probably be done by now if it weren't for fishing and golf getting in the way. :D

These allen head bowl drain screws from Chacal sure are purty though!

NEW SCREW.jpeg CARBS APART.jpeg

14. Ted

Ted Member

This bike will be for sale soon too as soon as it's reasonably "finished". It's close - just need to mount the rear fender and taillights, do a little wiring, and slap some paint on it. I had some fancy paint schemes in mind but with limited time and budget I think I'll just paint it black, blue, or dark silver and send it down the road.

The carbs are done and the bike runs great. No more hanging idle but I still need to perform a running sych after it's put together enough that I can get in a good enough warm-up ride.

Shaved the lower mounting tabs off of the rear fender and tins are just about ready for paint.

Still working on ideas for a seat and rear fender mount/frame bracket. I still have the little black solo seat pictured above but I'm thinking about fabbing something more cafe'-style that will cover the frame better.
    Still need to grind off a bunch of the old tabs, center stand bracket, etc. and shoot some black on the frame.

It's gonna be a shame to get rid of this without getting much of a chance to ride it but that's the way the cookie crumbles. It's been a fun project.

bob1.jpeg bob2.jpeg bob3.jpeg

15. Ted

Ted Member

Making progress... sprayed the body parts Sunday night with some John Deere Blitz black. I really like the color but it came out just a little splotchy on the tank. I think the cans just had crappy nozzles because I couldn't get any kind of consistent spray pattern. I'll probably end up re-spraying it next spring but it's good enough for now. Might be starting to look a little too much like my first bike though. o_O

Got most of the frame cleaned up too just need to smooth out a couple spots, spend about an hour masking, and squirt some paint on it.

BIKE 1.jpeg BIKE 2.jpeg BIKE 3.jpeg

Still need to wire up the license plate light & taillights, mount the muffler, and build a new seat bracket then I'm ready to ride! Hoping I can get all of that done in time to go for a ride this weekend but we'll see...

16. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Rear fender is goldilocks, exactly the right line for the bike.

k-moe and Ted like this.
  17. Ted

Ted Member

It's alive! :D Got it all together and went for a spin the other night. Runs pretty well under throttle but has a hanging idle and I had to keep blipping the throttle to stop it from sputtering out. I'm hoping a running vacuum synch will take care of that but we'll see. Hopefully I'll get to do that tomorrow night.

MAN do I miss the forward controls. The seat actually sits about 2 inches further forward than my last bike too so it feels a little cramped in the saddle.

Made the bonehead mistake of leaving the fuel tank open and unprotected for the last year or so while I was working up to painting it so it got a little rusty inside. 3 words: Apple Cider Vinegar. Saw a youtube vid that said it worked so I tried it out. 2 gallons for 8 bucks at Walmart. Filled the tank and let it sit for about 20 hours (sloshed it around every once in a while when I walked by it) and boom! Came out pretty clean. The hard part was getting all the junk out without messing up my fresh paint but the vinegar didn't harm the paint at all. It was just a PITA. I siphoned most of it out then flipped it upside down and sloshed the rest out. I ended up getting the last little bit by duct taping some fuel line to the end of my shop vac (and taping a section of coat hanger to the tube so it would stay straight). Sounds kinda funny but worked great. Should've taken an after pic before I filled it up but I think you can see the results pretty well here.

Before:

TANK 2.jpeg

After (not pefect but it's waaaay better!):

TANK 1.jpeg

I'll be rebuilding my taillight brackets to bring them in a little closer to the frame but love the way they look. Also still planning on adding some charcoal grey SS-style racing stripes and need to adjust that rear fender just a touch to get it perfectly centered on the tire. Need to bring that muffler in a little tighter too & maybe a little upswept but hey - at least it's on there! :D

BIKE 4.jpeg BIKE 3.jpeg

18. Ted

Ted Member

BIKE 5.jpeg

19. sybe

sybe Active Member

bike is looking nice. I originally wanted to do a bobber, still do!have you thought about going with gen 1 vmax or harley slash cut tail pipes? it would look badass

Ted likes this.
  20. Johnny And June

Johnny And June Member

I love that fender. Where'd you find it?